Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Lead accuracy

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
dogknott
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Lead accuracy

Post by dogknott » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:51 am

Does anyone have issues with accuracy of lead rounds? I have a BBS .357, 20" I can hold an inch at 100yd with 180gr XTP, maybe 2" with 158gr XTP, but 158gr WNFP cast, lucky to hit a 8" paper plate at 50yd... I've not really tried a lot of loads, only what I run through my handgun. Had a guy tell me his .357 won't shoot any 158gr bullet well, and has to slow the 180gr cast down so far it's not real feasible for hunting..
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Lead accuracy

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:06 am

Any leading in the bore with that bullet? What size is the lead bullet since sometimes a larger .001 sized bullet may engage the rifling better.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:13 am

Does anyone have issues with accuracy of lead rounds? I have a BBS .357, 20" I can hold an inch at 100yd with 180gr XTP, maybe 2" with 158gr XTP, but 158gr WNFP cast, lucky to hit a 8" paper plate at 50yd...
Lead bullets can be very fickle in rifles.
Lots of variables - bore size, quality of bullet/casting, lube, plated/unplated. etc.
I have pretty much gone to all PLATED for handgun round guns (rifle/pistol) and jacketed bullets in rifle ammo - even in my relatively low - velocity 30-30.
I tried some 165 gr lead FN in my 30-30 loads last year with similar results as you (different gun of course) but this particular 30-30 is capable of similar accuracy as your BBS with jacketed bullets.
My Henry shoots 158 gr. PLATED SWC as good as jacketed bullets.
I hope this helps.
1 x

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:40 am

I have issues with lead projectiles and fast burning powders when fired through barrels longer than 8 inches. Loads that work well out of my revolvers do not work well out of my lever action .357 with 26" barrel. Slower gun powders tend to shoot tighter groups with lead projectiles and longer barrels for me. Jacketed bullets are not as finicky.
1 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:48 am

Now I don't have a .357 rifle but have found the Missouri Bullets coated 240 gr. .44 bullet works really well in my .44 Carbine.
Might try a sample pack for your .357 Mag rifle. Of course you might want to keep speed down to less than 1500 FPS.
Sometimes you just need to find the right powder load with a particular bullet.
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:57 am

A lot of variables at play, here. I don't think it's as easy as pinning it down to rifle versus handgun. I've had rifles that shot lead with great accuracy and some that didn't shot lead worth a hoot and plenty of rifles that did a fair job with either kind of bullet. Same with the revolvers I've had. All part of finding what a particular gun likes to shoot. As for shooting lead, try experimenting with different bullets, as mentioned.
0 x

DAVIDF
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by DAVIDF » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:18 am

Yes, lots of variables. I don't have a .357 rifle. But, I have had great results with my Big Boy in .44 Mag with certain loads, and horrible accuracy with most. I have found that I need cast sized at .432 to work in the BB. I had horrible results with cast sized at .431.

I suggest either slugging the bore to see the groove diameter or call HRA and ask. I slugged mine and found that it was .431 and HRA indicated that is the groove diameter that their .44's are spec'd at. Cast bullets generally work well sized at 0.001 over groove diameter.

Also, try different powder charges or powders. I found that Red Dot was good at any charge from 5gr to 7.2gr with 200 to 240gr cast. Sport Pistol was much more finicky and required a much narrower range to work well. If I went below that range I could not count on hitting an 8" plate at just about any distance.

What powder and powder charge are you using? Is it one that others have had good results?
0 x
Made by Henry, Or Not Made At All

dogknott
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by dogknott » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:07 pm

I don't remember what the bullets was sized to, Powder coated SNS. I have been using 296 or 300MP, and a little LilGun, and have great results from handguns. I have some 180gr hard cast on the way, I'm hoping i can get something figured out, before I order big sister in 44 Mag... I also find it odd, it don't really like 158gr jacketed bullets, have tried XTP, Speer Deep Curl, and a Nosler. Again, all great in handguns, not so much in the rifle. I tried many different charges with the powders listed, never found anything very good. But 180 XTP, 1 hole at 50, at or under an 1" at 100...
1 x

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:21 am

I played with different powders using the same bullet, same brass, same primer and same C.O.L. when sorting out a load for my EMF .357 Magnum lever action. With a Remington 158g SWC lead bullet, I tried HS-6, Winchester 231, Bullseye and Unique to name a few. At 100 yards groups were 10" to 12" with every powder but Unique. With Unique, I was able to consistently shoot sub 4" groups at 100 yards off the bench with iron sights and 60 year old eyesight. The sweet spot for accuracy was 923 fps. Slower velocities would open the group an inch or two. Faster velocities over 1,000 fps would open the group up several inches.

I use a lot of SNS Casting bullets, because I like to support local small businesses. Loading a 158g RNFP coated lead SNS bullet, Unique would not work. The best powder was Winchester 231 and a muzzle velocity of 763 fps.

The Hornady XTP 125g and 158g bullets don't seem to be as sensitive to which powder I use or charge weights and are accurate at velocities from 1,200 fps to 18,00 fps. The XTP can be a bit pricey if a person wants to shoot 100 to 200 rounds when they go to the range. Lead bullets require a lot more trial and error for me to find a decent load, requiring trying different powders at several charge weights. What works for one lead bullet does not work for another lead bullet, even if they are the same weight, and it requires a lot of time and effort to come up with a decent load.
1 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:48 pm

As others have said it usually takes some experimenting to find a combination your rifle likes.
My marlin 357 will shoot 2" with 158 xtp at 100y yet like you the first cast load i tried wouldnt hit a dinner plate at 50y. I now have cast loads from 105gr to 180gr that will all shoot 2" or better at 50y.
Accuracy with cast can be as good as you will get from the rifle with the right combinations, I have shot sub 1" groups at 100y with both 375H&H and 45/70. A little luck involved but but both loads will consistantly shoot better than 2" at the same distance which is about as good as they do with jacketed.
2 x