Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.22 Magnum - more key hole target strikes

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: .22 Magnum - more key hole target strikes

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:40 pm

I'm sure all will be ok. Never have heard of any unsatisfactory results when dealing with Henry. Their reputation is what they live by as evidenced in MANY other posts and threads. You will get restitution, if in fact you have a defective rifle.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:16 pm

Shot out in 300 rounds? That just nuts. Sorry to hear about this. Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction. Best of luck.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:58 pm

What and who determines " shot out " . And based on what?...rifle?..ammo?...shooter?.accuracey?..barrel examination? No offense is intended here. I'm not a young'n to guns and shooting. Please enlighten me. Getting a bit confused, especially regarding a new rifle. If it's defective...then I know Henry will work with you.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:40 pm

I think they're referring to a barrel that has reached the end of it's life cycle. I believe it mostly happens in high power/velocity guns like the belted magnums and such, not the lower power stuff like .22
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:32 am

Most of the articles I've read on "shot out barrels" has to do with higher numbers of rounds being shot. One I looked up today includes a chart on different calibers, and how many rounds the author "estimates" need to go through the barrel before a replacement barrel is needed. I found this short article has some interesting information, and like all firearms stuff, open to discussion. I doubt if I'll shoot my SGC .22LR enough to ever have to consider a 2nd barrel. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm at just +500 rounds in 9 months or so. Should have a lot of range time left!

https://www.range365.com/can-you-shoot-out-rifle-barrel

Again, best to you as you work with Henry on your rifle, Blackdog. They will help...without a doubt.
PT7

Blackdog wrote:Not a happy camper - barrel shot-out with less then 300 rounds.M
2 x

~Пока~

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks for the link PT.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:58 am

I think in this case "shot out barrel" is being used as a blanket term for sudden loss of accuracy, not so much as a defective barrel. Could be other things at play, here, but my advice is to let Henry figure it out. 300 rounds is way too early for this kind of problem.
2 x

Omegaspeedy
Wrangler
Australia

Post by Omegaspeedy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:33 pm

Key hole = send back! Not acceptable, there's definitely something wrong with the end of your barrel. Can you see any defects in the rifling or crowning? Is the barrel muzzle machined cleanly and the counter sink symmetrical?
0 x
H006MR .357 Carbine How many 746
HO12R .44 How many 857

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:49 am

Omegaspeedy wrote:Key hole = send back! Not acceptable, there's definitely something wrong with the end of your barrel. Can you see any defects in the rifling or crowning? Is the barrel muzzle machined cleanly and the counter sink symmetrical?
Its been several days since my initial contact with Henry. I got a notice that they were preparing to receive "documentation" but nothing yet this week.

When I bought mine one of the guys in my silhouette club told me to expect about 1200/1500 rounds then I'd need to send it back. The problem seems to be common, and once the barrel is replaced the issue goes away.

A rifle that shoots only one type of one brand of ammo is not what I wanted to buy. This one needs help.

Waiting on NJ to contact me about sending the rifle in.

Michael
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:02 am

Blackdog wrote: Its been several days since my initial contact with Henry. I got a notice that they were preparing to receive "documentation" but nothing yet this week.
Michael, have you called customer service? They are usually able to send shipping labels immediately.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"