Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.22 Magnum - more key hole target strikes

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

.22 Magnum - more key hole target strikes

Post by Blackdog » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 am

5 months ago I bought a .22 Magnum 20" lever gun. Right off I discovered that Hornady 45gr bullets struck the target sideways (at 10 yards). I used CCI 40gr TMJ bullets and it shot 1" groups at 100 yards.

I use this rifle for Lever Action Silhouette matches and the 100 yard rams are marginal with the 40gr bullet - 50gr is better. not perfect, but better.

Saturday I discovered that Federal 50gr bullets were striking the target sideways too - could not find the paper at 100 yards, but at 10/15 yards left log tears in the "Shoot N See" targets.

in 5 months I've shot maybe 300 rounds in the rifle - And I have a problem now.

I think I need to send this one back. What do you think?

M
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: .22 Magnum - more key hole target strikes

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:23 am

You have 2 choices; you could send it back, or keep trying out different ammo till you and rifle find something you both like. I'd go with trying out different ammo first.

ETA: You might try Fiochhi 40 gr jsp or fmj. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product ... ?a=1585240

I've used the Fiochhi 40gr fmj in my old 9422m quite a bit and never had any keyholing issues, but can't speak to the knockdown power at long ranges. MV is around 1900+ tho, so should hit hard enough for your needs unless there's something about your rifle that needs looking at.
Last edited by GunnyGene on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:34 am

Good suggestion by Gunny, if you don't mind spending the money on a lot of ammo. Or, send this exact info to Henry and see what their response is. Ultimately, if it's the rifle, they will make it right!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:55 am

Not 100% certain what to advise. There are variables....my initial reaction is the ammo might be what to look at.
Here is my experience with the Henry .22WMR I had a few years ago.

I shot these ammo brands without a glitch, and no keyholing:
~Armscor 40gr JHP
~CCI Gamepoint 40gr JSP
~CCI maxi-mag 40g JHP
~Hornady V-Max 30gr
~Speer Gold Dot 40gr GDHP-SB
~Win Super X 40gr JHP

I did a lot of my shooting at black steel targets (preferred). My target distances ranged from 25 yards out to 60 yards. The Henry was highly accurate, and the "clangs" were solid.
DSCN0698.JPG
DSCN0698.JPG (134.64 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
I rarely shot paper targets; instead I used homemade cardboard ones mounted either on a shooting board, or tacked up on a tree trunk. Cannot remember any keyholing here either.
DSCN0702.JPG
DSCN0702.JPG (124.32 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
Concentrated.JPG
Concentrated.JPG (135.47 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
Rapid-Fire.JPG
Rapid-Fire.JPG (135.18 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
My Henry WMR was a very good and accurate rifle. I shot +500 rounds in the first 9 months or so....no probs.
A little surprised to read of your issue.

Hopefully, Blackdog, others will chime in with their thoughts and/or suggestion.
I'll be interested as to what you do, and what the resolution is if you have Henry look it over.

PT7
Blackdog wrote:in 5 months I've shot maybe 300 rounds in the rifle - And I have a problem now.
I think I need to send this one back. What do you think?
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:57 am

What kind of targets are you using? Try the cardboard as PT7 has done, just using a marker to make your target spot. Even a thin piece of plywood will work at 10 yards. Paper is notorious for tearing, unevenly, and can give you false positives for key holing. Worth a try before going to all the trouble of sending the rifle, back. Honestly, though, if you're getting 1" groups at 100 yards with any 22 mag ammo, be hard to imagine that it's a gun issue. That's excellent 22 mag accuracy, even for a bolt gun.
3 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Given it is shooting 40gr ammo well and it is the heavier longer 45 and 50gr loads that are having issues my first thought is rate of twist.
Henry list 1:16 which is standard for the 22WMR.
Have you checked the twist rate and and velocity of the rounds.

I dont know the lenght of the projectiles used in the 45 and 50gr loads but running some quick figures through stability calculators using a 45gr hornet projectile with a lenght of 0.59 and 1500fps shows they wont be stable in a 1:16 twist.

The heavier loads for 22WMR were not even thought of when it was introduced and 1:16 twist adopted as standard. It is probably marginal at best with heavier loads, if your rifle produces velocities a bit lower or the twist rate is fractionally slower then tumbling would be highly likely.
2 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:20 pm

220 wrote:Given it is shooting 40gr ammo well and it is the heavier longer 45 and 50gr loads that are having issues my first thought is rate of twist.
Henry list 1:16 which is standard for the 22WMR.
Have you checked the twist rate and and velocity of the rounds.

I dont know the lenght of the projectiles used in the 45 and 50gr loads but running some quick figures through stability calculators using a 45gr hornet projectile with a lenght of 0.59 and 1500fps shows they wont be stable in a 1:16 twist.

The heavier loads for 22WMR were not even thought of when it was introduced and 1:16 twist adopted as standard. It is probably marginal at best with heavier loads, if your rifle produces velocities a bit lower or the twist rate is fractionally slower then tumbling would be highly likely.
I came to the same conclusion when shooting CCI 30g lead free ammo and got keyholeing like the 45g Hornady.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:17 pm

The 40gr USED o shoot well - now it clusters 8 to 10 inches at 100 yards.
45 & 50 grain bullets keyhole. Not gonna bother with 30gr...in fact once the rifle is repaired I will sell it and stick with my .25-20 Marlin.

Had I know the rifle would only shoot one weight of one brand of ammo I sure would not have purchased it.

Dealing with Henry now - started fours days ago and on the third message to them they sent me a form to "documentation" - the link does not work, so I'll notify them and see what happens.

Not a happy camper - barrel shot-out with less then 300 rounds.

M
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Blackdog wrote: Dealing with Henry now - started fours days ago...
I'd suggest you call them tomorrow and speak with any one of the CS reps. Describe your problem and the effort you've already made to contact them via the website. You'll likely get a return shipping authorization and label within minutes.

They will fix that rifle, so I hope you decide to keep it when it's returned.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:52 pm

Blackdog wrote:The 40gr USED o shoot well - now it clusters 8 to 10 inches at 100 yards.
45 & 50 grain bullets keyhole. Not gonna bother with 30gr...in fact once the rifle is repaired I will sell it and stick with my .25-20 Marlin.

Had I know the rifle would only shoot one weight of one brand of ammo I sure would not have purchased it.

Dealing with Henry now - started fours days ago and on the third message to them they sent me a form to "documentation" - the link does not work, so I'll notify them and see what happens.

Not a happy camper - barrel shot-out with less then 300 rounds.

M
Shot out at 300 rounds is totally unsatisfactory. Especially since Henry prides themselves on their barrels!!! I sure hope your problem doesn't manifest in other calibers, since I recently bought a BBSC .41mag !
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.