Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Uberti 45 Colt First Outing = FUN!

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Uberti 45 Colt First Outing = FUN!

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:19 am

I was/am a little timid about being too close when shooting at metal targets.

When the water goes down, there is an area of lawn, so the river rats can also learn to "stay off my lawn" (actually out from under it.)
PT7 wrote:
Mags wrote:In eager anticipation I took my new .45 out today for a shoot. Not very impressive. So bad I considered flying under the radar and not posting about it. ~~~ Shootin was from about 12-1/2 yds and 25. Hornady LeverEvolution 225gr FTX. ~~~ Oh ya, shooting standing freehand double-handed grip. ~~~ It was nice to get out and shoot even if the first results were awful.
I don't consider the results as being at the "awful" level. You were quite aggressive to shoot at 12-1/2 and 25 yards distance with a new gun. For my first-time visits, I usually shoot a revolver at between 7-10 yards until I get some handle on the sights especially, then ammo, recoil, hand control, etc. Plus off hand shooting is both the best and toughest way to shoot.

I was mostly surprised at the hard trigger pull on your .45 S/A. If anything, on the three Uberti revolvers I shoot, the trigger pulls are mostly too light. Definitely the case on my .45 Russian top break. Maybe it's because prior to my moving to shoot S/A revolvers, I exclusively shot D/A. And that was mostly with Rugers where the trigger pull is known to be like moving a tank through the stroke! Are you thinking to work on that trigger action?

Yes, a good result is that more practice means more range time. :) Plus your wife's encouragement helps...both for you and her collecting for the art deco. Wonder what she'll say when you place a bullet hit on top of another bullet hit?!? And one of these days those river rats will learn not to step on your riverbanks!

Thanks for the Range Report and pics. Always like to see how Folk are shooting their guns.
PT7
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:21 am

Don't know if you can tell from the foot prints, but it is very soggy turf right now. That patch will be brown come August. To the left toward the little creek there is a seep spring and that stays soggy/green year round. Coming into Spring now the property until mid-June is beautiful. Then parts get brown for a couple months. But you know that. So could you move back?
ESquared wrote:Well, hats off to you for going at it from those distances! It'll all come around, and I'm wondering about that ammo in a revolver anyway. Seems like it's too rifle-specific, but I'm no ballistician (if that's the word).
And, most of all (next to a fine bench towel), it so not fair that everything is so green and lush. Man, it's times like this when I miss the PNW.

Full disclosure it is, so thanks for sharing!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:04 am

Mags wrote:.
Totally understood!!

I shoot at two outdoor ranges where metal targets are set up. My son-in-law has paid close attention to target angles, and uses AR500 steel. Very important to correctly and safely deflect shrapnel to the ground. He also has metal spinner targets set up on his short range for handgun shooting. He has a goldmine of AR500 set up over his two ranges. A huge factor for him is that his range is open to the public, too. Safety considerations are at the top of his list.

At the other home-made range of a friend, he only uses scrap metal plates, and typically hangs those by a nail on a wood target board. But the board angle points any shrapnel upward, not toward the ground. I'm darn leery of shooting at his stuff, and keep safer distances like you do.

Sure is nothing to mess with when shooting any caliber. Very good decision to keep your distance.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:30 am

Don't know if you can tell from the foot prints, but it is very soggy turf right now. That patch will be brown come August. To the left toward the little creek there is a seep spring and that stays soggy/green year round. Coming into Spring now the property until mid-June is beautiful. Then parts get brown for a couple months. But you know that. So could you move back?
My roots and family are all here, so while I could, the practical matter is that I wouldn't. I need to figure out a way to get back for a visit, however, as I still have lots of friends in the Portland area. Had a house on the WA side, in Washougal, at the mouth of the Columbia River gorge, overlooking the river and Oregon beyond. Just some of the most beautiful country anywhere.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:34 am

My shooting tree leans toward the shooter, so most shrapnel goes to ground. Those that happen to hit the center post are deflected down and to the side. A grazing hit on the top edge of a paddle, the shrapnel can go skyward. So getting closer to the tree is doable. Whereas the 1/2 steel plate is very slightly slopped backwards. Shooting at it is slightly down hill, so the plate even though leaning is pretty much perpendicular to the shooter due to ground slope.
20180728_085738z.jpg
20180728_085738z.jpg (93.32 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
20180728_085726z.jpg
20180728_085726z.jpg (105.94 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
PT7 wrote:
Totally understood!!

I shoot at two outdoor ranges where metal targets are set up. My son-in-law has paid close attention to target angles, and uses AR500 steel. Very important to correctly and safely deflect shrapnel to the ground. He also has metal spinner targets set up on his short range for handgun shooting. He has a goldmine of AR500 set up over his two ranges. A huge factor for him is that his range is open to the public, too. Safety considerations are at the top of his list.

At the other home-made range of a friend, he only uses scrap metal plates, and typically hangs those by a nail on a wood target board. But the board angle points any shrapnel upward, not toward the ground. I'm darn leery of shooting at his stuff, and keep safer distances like you do.

Sure is nothing to mess with when shooting any caliber. Very good decision to keep your distance.
PT7
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:59 pm

PT7 wrote:... Would be cool to see your target photos, and a few more shots of your revolver, too??
Following up on the 2nd part of your ask.

Note that the cylinder pin on this one does not have the double notch, so the pin can't be pushed in further to lock the hammer away from the frame. Means I don't have to worry about having the hammer mashing the end of the pin preventing its removal when I go to clean.
20190301_180731.jpg
20190301_180731.jpg (182.15 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
20190301_180803.jpg
20190301_180803.jpg (204.41 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
20190301_180849.jpg
20190301_180849.jpg (190.26 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
1 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:13 pm

Mags wrote:
Note that the cylinder pin on this one does not have the double notch, so the pin can't be pushed in further to lock the hammer away from the frame. Means I don't have to worry about having the hammer mashing the end of the pin preventing its removal when I go to clean.
It also means that it has a retractable firing pin in the hammer and you can load all six rounds without the risk of accidental firing.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:59 pm

Nice pics, and another Sharp-looking .45 Colt joining several other "brassy" Ubertis.
These S/A revolvers are a lot of fun.

I've not seen a lot of wood furniture that has such beautiful wood colors and grain patterns as we see on the Henry rifles. But the wood grips on these Ubertis, especially being highlighted by all the brass, shore is a purty sight! :D

Thanks for the post.
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:08 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Mags wrote: Note that the cylinder pin on this one does not have the double notch, so the pin can't be pushed in further to lock the hammer away from the frame. Means I don't have to worry about having the hammer mashing the end of the pin preventing its removal when I go to clean.
It also means that it has a retractable firing pin in the hammer and you can load all six rounds without the risk of accidental firing.
The manual calls it a "retracting" firing pin, but then in other places calls it a "floating" firing pin. Floating seems to be the more accurate description. Its free to move until the transfer bar slips in behind during full cock to lock it forward in the hammer. The manual also says to still load 5 (lawyers CYA), I guess just in case the firing pin should get stuck forward for some reason. At the range of course load up all 6.

On my version loading is done at the half cock position (first click). Pulling the hammer back to the 2nd click and easing it forward is also a half cock position that I don't understand the purpose for (not described in the manual). The 3rd click is full cock/ready to fire.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks! Purty sight indeed, looks even better in hand than in pictures.
PT7 wrote:Nice pics, and another Sharp-looking .45 Colt joining several other "brassy" Ubertis.
These S/A revolvers are a lot of fun.

I've not seen a lot of wood furniture that has such beautiful wood colors and grain patterns as we see on the Henry rifles. But the wood grips on these Ubertis, especially being highlighted by all the brass, shore is a purty sight! :D

Thanks for the post.
PT7
0 x