Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Uberti 45 Colt First Outing = FUN!

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Uberti 45 Colt First Outing = FUN!

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:55 am

Looks to me like Mags wants to mix it up with a 45 colt. Nice gun there mags I know you will like it. Maybe you can pick on a few of those ditch rats with it.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:43 am

Gotta love cowboys guns and great big bullets. Well done guys.
Attachments
20180825_123437.jpg
20180825_123437.jpg (182.95 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
5 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm

Thank you. First up out the mixer was homemade bread! Other motivation behind getting the mixer; the previous one was 4qt and the doh hooks would through flour all over the kitchen. Since I'm the cleaner-upper, I'd had enough of that. This one is 7qt. Flour stays in the bowl. Am looking forward to more bread, cookies and cakes!
ESquared wrote:Great job, Mags! The revolver is very nice, you found a good local place to deal with on future firearms and your household is set for a steady stream of baked goods for the foreseeable future!

Really like the brass backstrap treatment, too! Please keep us posted on your range visit(s) and how the first batch of cookies turn out! Genius creation of a "Win/Win" scenario with the CFO! Hats off!
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Nice! Time for an upgrade!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:42 pm

Yup the bench towel still makes its subtle appearance. Invisible in plain sight, as its been since before we even caught on it was there. And I did notice the brass on CT_Shooter's. Thought to myself, there's that brass I like to see on a revolver! I suppose I should have posted that observation on his post.
PT7 wrote:...Oops! Never even saw the bench towel. :oops: You fellows must look for that before anything else!!
Mags wrote:Your Stallion .22 was the inspiration...
ESquared wrote:Really like the brass backstrap treatment, too!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks. I hadn't considered that. Not sure I could get close enough to hit one with the revolver. Worth maybe giving it a 'shot' though. Thanks for the suggestion!
BigAl52 wrote:Looks to me like Mags wants to mix it up with a 45 colt. Nice gun there mags I know you will like it. Maybe you can pick on a few of those ditch rats with it.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:55 pm

In eager anticipation I took my new .45 out today for a shoot. Not very impressive. So bad I considered flying under the radar and not posting about it. But then we're all about full discloser here right? ;)

Shootin was from about 12-1/2 yds and 25. Hornady LeverEvolution 225gr FTX. LeverEvolution has not been my favorite ammo, but that was all that was available that I could find in my running around yesterday. Seems somebody keeps going around and buying up most all the .45 colt as soon as it comes in. Same story multiple stores. If RR wasn't in Canada, I think he and Badger were swooping in to grab it all up :D

Anyway a box of 20 downrange. Only 9 verifiable in pictures somewhere in the vicinity of the targets. The others low and left into the dirt (sound familiar?).
So clearly lots of practice needed. Some observations and conjecture. Hard trigger pull (clean break though), overthinking the aim (ie taking too long) resulting in too much hand shaking when the revolver goes off. Oh ya, shooting standing freehand double-handed grip.

First picture results from about 25 yds. 12 shots, 4 hits. 3 can be clearly seen on the platters. The 4th grazed the top left edge of the splat target. A little bit of fraying there. Rest of the shots are thought to be in the grassy mud.

The second picture from about 12-1/2 yds. 8 shots, 5 hits on the steel back plate. 0 on the splat target. No grass or mud there, so I could see the dirt fly on those that missed the plate entirely. Low and left is the result on and off the steel.

The 3rd picture is one recovered bullet. My wife likes those for making a some sort of wall art display, so I'm getting encouragement to shoot more. :D

It was nice to get out and shoot even if the first results were awful. So no pot shots at river rats for a while. Documents my starting point as a reference for future comparison.

PS: My bench towel is as pink as E^2's. Not quite sure why they are lavenderish in pictures.
20190301_122133.jpg
20190301_122133.jpg (204.86 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
20190301_122253.jpg
20190301_122253.jpg (212.99 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
SidesMerged.jpg
SidesMerged.jpg (92.54 KiB) Viewed 1833 times
2 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Well, hats off to you for going at it from those distances! It'll all come around, and I'm wondering about that ammo in a revolver anyway. Seems like it's too rifle-specific, but I'm no ballistician (if that's the word).
And, most of all (next to a fine bench towel), it so not fair that everything is so green and lush. Man, it's times like this when I miss the PNW.

Full disclosure it is, so thanks for sharing!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:47 pm

Mags wrote:In eager anticipation I took my new .45 out today for a shoot. Not very impressive. So bad I considered flying under the radar and not posting about it. ~~~ Shootin was from about 12-1/2 yds and 25. Hornady LeverEvolution 225gr FTX. ~~~ Oh ya, shooting standing freehand double-handed grip. ~~~ It was nice to get out and shoot even if the first results were awful.
I don't consider the results as being at the "awful" level. You were quite aggressive to shoot at 12-1/2 and 25 yards distance with a new gun. For my first-time visits, I usually shoot a revolver at between 7-10 yards until I get some handle on the sights especially, then ammo, recoil, hand control, etc. Plus off hand shooting is both the best and toughest way to shoot.

I was mostly surprised at the hard trigger pull on your .45 S/A. If anything, on the three Uberti revolvers I shoot, the trigger pulls are mostly too light. Definitely the case on my .45 Russian top break. Maybe it's because prior to my moving to shoot S/A revolvers, I exclusively shot D/A. And that was mostly with Rugers where the trigger pull is known to be like moving a tank through the stroke! Are you thinking to work on that trigger action?

Yes, a good result is that more practice means more range time. :) Plus your wife's encouragement helps...both for you and her collecting for the art deco. Wonder what she'll say when you place a bullet hit on top of another bullet hit?!? And one of these days those river rats will learn not to step on your riverbanks!

Thanks for the Range Report and pics. Always like to see how Folk are shooting their guns.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:59 pm

ESquared wrote:Well, hats off to you for going at it from those distances! It'll all come around, and I'm wondering about that ammo in a revolver anyway. Seems like it's too rifle-specific, but I'm no ballistician (if that's the word).
And, most of all (next to a fine bench towel), it so not fair that everything is so green and lush. Man, it's times like this when I miss the PNW.

Full disclosure it is, so thanks for sharing!
Here ya go, ESquared....the Merriam-Webster definition of ballistician. :)
An authority on or one versed in ballistics; especially: a member of a police force who studies the evidence and determines the facts relating to the use of firearms in criminal cases.
And what are the ballistics, which a ballistician is versed in? Well, I agree with the Wikipedia comments (for a change), and believe that you and the many other reloaders on the Forum do just this:

Ballistics is the science of mechanics that deals with the launching, flight, behavior, and effects of projectiles, especially bullets, gravity bombs, rockets, or the like; the science or art of designing and accelerating projectiles so as to achieve a desired performance.

Load 'em up! ;)
PT7
0 x

~Пока~