Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Uberti 45 Colt First Outing = FUN!

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: Uberti 45 Colt First Outing = FUN!

Post by PT7 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Congrats that your "First Outing = FUN!" That's the best, ESquared. :)

I'm certain that you've now begun re-writing your revolver history. That S/A .45 Colt will make it easy, and I'd say before long you will be shooting it with ease and confidence. Your first POIs are large and definitely in the right places! Great job on your first range visit.

Maybe someday your Grizzly Paws and my Russian will have a target shootout?!? That could happen under Frontier Justice. ;)

BTW, what did you think of the Choice Ammo, and also generally the revolver recoil? Cool 8-) caliber, without a doubt.

PT7

ESquared wrote:Got out early this AM, as the itch to try this Uberti was on me!

Got the "load one, skip one, load four" figured out (with an assist from watching "The Shootist") and set up at 5 yds. Hadn't shot this many rounds at a handgun target at such a shot distance in quite a while.

As some of you may know, my revolver history/experience is not great, but this SAA seems to be the answer.

I'll figure it out soon, but THIS might just be a revolver I can shoot consistently!
1 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:07 pm

Mags wrote:.
I like what I'm seeing in what you're sharing. Got me rethinking my wish list 3/4 size Stallion .38 for a full size revolver. I already have a revolver that shoots .45 colt, but it is a pain to shoot even with the rubber recoil absorbing grip. How is yours on the hand and wrist?

pinkchk_xsm.png
ESquared wrote:...
No issues from a discomfort standpoint whatsoever, but, as alluded to above, you just have to be ready for the shot. For my grizzly-sized paws, that's the bonus of these grips - I can get all four fingers wrapped around the handle (so to speak). It balances well and that 5/5" barrel helps, no doubt.

And, it's a a 2.3 lb gun (unloaded), so that helps to absorb the 45 just fine. These were Unique loads @ 8.0 gr, and I'm sure I could go with lighter reloads if need be, but this seems to be a real sweet spot from an accuracy standpoint.

WAY less recoil than any factory 357 I've shot, but I guess I expected that...
3 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:33 pm

Getting out a good ol' SA .45 Colt is always a great time and congrats ES on trying out your new revolver and loads!
The fun gets much better when you can hit the steel plates and gong!!
Work on your trigger control and back up to 15 and later 25 yds or more.

I was down at my range today but sadly no shooting but ditch digging :(
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:Great report, Evan! Thanks for the details and for sharing your excitement with us.

Thanks for your advice along the way! Very happy with the way this turned out. The cost/fun ratio is compelling!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:24 pm

So I got me one today. Found it at the local Coastal Farm Supply. That store is really well stocked. Largest number of Henry's I've seen in one place. They had just gotten a shipment in, including 3 Long Rangers in .243, .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Alas, not one in .223 but another shipment was coming and might have them. Otherwise I might have come home today with 2 firearms.

What I did come home with was a Uberti Cattleman II .45 Colt with the brass back strap. My original preference was the Stallion .38, but it's not available with the brass back strap.
20190228_170847.jpg
20190228_170847.jpg (178.41 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
20190228_170831.jpg
20190228_170831.jpg (158.44 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
. and along side my penance to my chief financial officer.
20190228_140639.jpg
20190228_140639.jpg (77.45 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
4 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 pm

Mags wrote:.
So I got me one today. Found it at the local Coastal Farm Supply. That store is really well stocked. Largest number of Henry's I've seen in one place. They had just gotten a shipment in, including 3 Long Rangers in .243, .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Alas, not one in .223 but another shipment was coming and might have them. Otherwise I might have come home today with 2 firearms.

What I did come home with was a Uberti Cattleman II .45 Colt with the brass back strap. My original preference was the Stallion .38, but it's not available with the brass back strap.
Congrats on that beautiful Six Gun, Mags. That brass backstrap extending around into the trigger guard sure makes the sharp-looking wood grip stand out, too. My Stallion is the purtiest of my S/A revolvers.

Looking forward to your Range Report, and hopefully pictures of some great targets with those fun large holes!! ;)
Enjoy.

PT7
1 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:16 am

Thank you sir. Your Stallion .22 was the inspiration behind what I chose to buy. I was disappointed to learn that the Stallion .38 did not have the brass like your .22. Then E^2 and fortyshooter just had to share their revolvers and that broke the ice for me. Coastal had been on my list of places to check into and today the opportunity presented itself. Coastal is also the only somewhat local place that was willing to special order if I wanted something else. None of the other local places I asked was willing to do that. So along with their huge selection of makes, they will be getting my future business.
PT7 wrote:... That brass backstrap extending around into the trigger guard sure makes the sharp-looking wood grip stand out, too. My Stallion is the purtiest of my S/A revolvers.
PT7
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:13 am

Great job, Mags! The revolver is very nice, you found a good local place to deal with on future firearms and your household is set for a steady stream of baked goods for the foreseeable future!

Really like the brass backstrap treatment, too! Please keep us posted on your range visit(s) and how the first batch of cookies turn out! Genius creation of a "Win/Win" scenario with the CFO! Hats off!
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:14 am

Not to mention artful use of a certain bench towel in a lovely shade we've all come to admire!
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:42 am

Glad the Stallion inspired. I get that sense whenever I shoot it, too. BTW, did you Folk notice the photo in CT_Shooter's Range Report that his new Uberti Cattleman 22LR has the same brass for the backstrap and trigger guard? Uberti has got that design spot-on!

Oops! Never even saw the bench towel. :oops: You fellows must look for that before anything else!!

Have fun on the range, Mags. It will be cool to "compare" ESquared's and your big-holed targets. ;)
PT7
Mags wrote:Your Stallion .22 was the inspiration...
ESquared wrote:Really like the brass backstrap treatment, too!
0 x

~Пока~