Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PT7: SeeAll MK-1 Sight on a Winchester 67A

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

PT7: SeeAll MK-1 Sight on a Winchester 67A

Post by PT7 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Heading out for my range time today, I didn’t have high enough expectations. So, I left my camera at home. Was that ever a goof! :( My range results were very good, and I wasn’t looking ahead positively.

This Range Report could also fit under other forum categories such as “sights” or “ammunition.” Maybe the variety of my experience today will be interesting to some of you good Henry Folk.

~~~Primary Goal
I was really intrigued by Pilsner’s Range Report when he got his new Henry .357 BBB in early December. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5641 His shooting was great, and he focused a lot on the new sight he tried out to help with his vision challenges. It was the “SeeAll Open Sight (model MK-1).” https://seeallopensight.com/collections ... open-sight I researched it, and also asked CT_Shooter and ESquared to look it over for me. I’m not able to shoot any long gun due to my eye challenges, in particular cross-eyed dominance. I had about thrown in the towel on long guns, and more enjoying my fixed sight Uberti S/A revolvers. Both fellows thought the sight had some potential for me. In fact, CT_Shooter went the extra mile. We have the same birthday (December 29th). I found a package in my mailbox on my birthday, and CT_Shooter had sent me the model MK-1 SeeAll as a gift. We’ve exchanged birthday gifts/cards since we met on the Forum….kind of a fun thing to do. Bottom line, wow! Not what I expected at all!

Today, my primary goal was to try out this sight.

~~~Outdoor range visit, and the rifle used.
I drove up to my son’s-in-law outdoor range around noon. The MO weather has changed again back to winter cold, and although the sun was shining in a blue sky, the temp was a brisk 32* with a 12-mph wind. The cold was a minor factor because I had to sight in and shoot without gloves.

Why “no gloves?” Because I mounted the SeeAll on my son’s-in-law single-shot .22LR. Lots of finger work with a single-shot. I found out that this single-shot was his very first rifle as a youth. It’s a bolt-action Winchester model 67A, built in 1957. Interesting that it doesn’t carry a serial number as that wasn’t required prior to 1960. He had a picatinny rail on the rifle, and it took about 3 minutes to mount the sight. Great fit, and the sight even looked okay to both of us. Similar look to a red dot he uses, and actually smaller than his red dot.

~~~Ammo and Target used.
Set up an 8” square black steel target at 50 yards. That was the sight-in distance. I chose to use Browning Perf. Rimfire (BPR) 40gr RN. This ammo shoots really well out of my SGC, so it would be the test ammo today. Took a little while to sight in the SeeAll; both windage and elevation were quite off. But finally got it set at 50 yards.

~~~The Shooting Event.
This is where I really failed in my expectations. Just didn’t think the SeeAll would work for me; not sure why, because Pilsner had great results. After about 4-5 rounds to learn how to acquire the target, I absolutely could not miss hitting that steel target. Heard that wonderful clang about 40 times! When I finished for the day and went to check the target plus re-spray it, most POIs were close to dead center of the 8” square. I “created” about a 3” white bull on the black steel. Sure wish I had my camera!

My son-in-law was watching, and had a suggestion. He took over the rifle and tried shooting at a 200-yard target on his long-distance range. Of course, he clanged it since his strong expertise is long-distance shooting. Told me to try it. I never hit the steel, but finally was able to “ding” the shooting board the steel target was mounted on. With more practice, I’m pretty sure I could take the .22LR out to that 200-yard steel target using the SeeAll. I was actually more than surprised; more in amazement.

~~~An extra ammo experience and another gift.
Then my son-in-law went to his ammo can and pulled out a brick of .22 ammo I’ve not seen before. He said he had it for years, and it is no longer made. It is Remington brand “CBee22.” This is a low-velocity .22 with these specs:
~30gr solid point, copper coated.
~Muzzle velocity = 720fps; 50-yards velocity = 640fps.
~The box states that Remington developed these ballistics in “rifle length test barrels.” I’m not certain what that is…might do some research to find out.

Since my son-in-law said this ammo really should be used, he gave me one 50-round box. Of course, it would never chamber in my Henry SGC. That very, very short CBee would somersault in the receiver. But I’ll try these in my Uberti Stallion .22 revolver. Out of the rifle, they sounded like a cap gun. This gift should be some fun ahead. My son-in-law jokingly asked me how large my basement is in the new house!

~~~Ammo Comparison
The only photo I do have is of the two ammos I/we shot today. Here is a comparison of the BPR and CBee .22s . I know you all know which is which. ;)
DSCN3011.JPG
DSCN3011.JPG (218.52 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
A most different, interesting, and fun day at the range. :D I enjoyed writing this Range Report with its twists and turns and good results. Hope it was interesting for you Folk to read.

Take care.
PT7
3 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: PT7: SeeAll MK-1 Sight on a Winchester 67A

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 am

If those are standard CB rounds, it means that they only use the primer for a propellant - no powder. From experience, I can tell you that you must exercise caution when using these in a rifle barrel, especially a very long rifle barrel as on a Winchester 67A. I've had some CB 22 LR fail to exit the barrel on a CZ 24" barrel. (CZs typically run tight bores on their rimfires.) A bullet lodged in the barrel is a very dangerous thing if not cleared before taking another shot. I normally recommend using hearing protection, but for these very quiet rounds, I recommend NOT using protection so that you can listen to the report. If you get one that sounds a little different or off, somehow, stop and look down that bore. I'd regard them as safer to shooting your revolver, but, either way, be careful.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 pm

North Country Gal wrote:If those are standard CB rounds, it means that they only use the primer for a propellant - no powder. From experience, I can tell you that you must exercise caution when using these in a rifle barrel, especially a very long rifle barrel as on a Winchester 67A. I've had some CB 22 LR fail to exit the barrel on a CZ 24" barrel. (CZs typically run tight bores on their rimfires.) A bullet lodged in the barrel is a very dangerous thing if not cleared before taking another shot. I normally recommend using hearing protection, but for these very quiet rounds, I recommend NOT using protection so that you can listen to the report. If you get one that sounds a little different or off, somehow, stop and look down that bore. I'd regard them as safer to shooting your revolver, but, either way, be careful.
Thanks, NCG. If these are dangerous to shoot out of the Win 67A, then we were fortunate no bullet hung up in the barrel. I think we shot less than 10 rounds of these cartridges. At the same time, I'll NOT shoot them in my Uberti Stallion revolver. Never work the risk if there is any uncertainty about ammo performance.

Per your comment, how do I determine if these "are standard CB rounds?" They are not identified anywhere on the box as being standard.

I'm going to forward your caution to my son-in-law also. He still has almost a brick of this ammo, and would shoot them in his single shot Winchester he had out on the range. Thanks again.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Great report, B, and, best of all, a great outcome for you and the SeeAll! Getting those kind of results at 50 yds with a 22 single shot (having to re-establish your shooting position, reacquire the target, etc.) over that many rounds is pretty remarkable, congrats!

Based on our recent conversations, now I'm wondering about your next step(s), so once you think you have a plan in mind, please let me know!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:06 pm

ESquared wrote:Great report, B, and, best of all, a great outcome for you and the SeeAll! Getting those kind of results at 50 yds with a 22 single shot (having to re-establish your shooting position, reacquire the target, etc.) over that many rounds is pretty remarkable, congrats!

Based on our recent conversations, now I'm wondering about your next step(s), so once you think you have a plan in mind, please let me know!

Thanks, and will do, EE. No pressing hurry, so mulling-mulling for now. :roll:
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Just wondering if we should think about becoming the founding members of the KC Henry 45 LC Carbine Society...
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 pm

ESquared wrote:Just wondering if we should think about becoming the founding members of the KC Henry 45 LC Carbine Society...
Excellent! Will add that thought to my mulling...
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:00 pm

congrats on finding a sight that works for you .... that has to be a wonderful feeling .... thanks for the report
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:09 pm

I have some of those CBee’s although they are a little different now. They cycle in my Henry but it is a different cycle.
00E4968D-CD41-425C-9D03-0FF190AE63C4.jpeg
00E4968D-CD41-425C-9D03-0FF190AE63C4.jpeg (214.51 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
F076DD3E-BEF5-43D4-AC78-AAB54E2C8EE2.jpeg
F076DD3E-BEF5-43D4-AC78-AAB54E2C8EE2.jpeg (350.98 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
2 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:16 pm

PT, I would not call those rounds dangerous. Just be advised of the possibility of a squib load and take precautions, as I indicated.
0 x