Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Browning T bolt Target, serious fun gun

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Browning T bolt Target, serious fun gun

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:42 pm

Been selling, off, our vintage Smith revolvers and re-investing in guns we will shoot, more. One of these is the new edition of an old Browning gun from the 60s and 70s, the Browning T-bolt, this one in 22 LR and in the Target version with it's heavier barrel and target configuration stock. Despite the heavier target stock and bull barrel, this is not at all a heavy gun. Lists at a still very light 5 pounds, 5 ounces without scope. Fitted it out with a great scope in a Weaver 4-16x AO.

So what makes it a T-bolt? It's the unique push-pull action. In a regular bolt gun, it's lift the bolt, pull back, push the bolt forward, then down, to cycle the action. A T-bolt reduces that to pull back, then push forward to cycle the action.

Here's the bolt pulled back, to eject the empty.

Here's the bolt pushed forward to cock and lock, ready to fire. By the way, lockup is very, very tight with this action, no doubt the result of it locking into both the right AND the left side of the receiver.

Operating the T-bolt action takes a bit more physical effort than a conventional bolt gun, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes very intuitive and, of course, fast to operate. Definitely no issues with scope clearance and the bolt handle, of course. Mount the scope as low as you want.

Couple of other features I like are the thumb safety and the unique, 10 shot, rotary magazine that works, flawlessly. Fits flush with the bottom of the stock, too. The original did not have this magazine. Definitely an improvement, in my opinion.

The out of the box trigger on these T bolts is absolutely the crispest, creep-free trigger I've ever had on an out of the box trigger. Joy to work. That's the good news. The maybe not so good news, assuming you want a match grade, super light trigger, is the pull weight. It is adjustable via a screw, but you're not likely to get the poundage lighter than the 3.5 pounds where mine bottomed out. That's still very useable for hunting and fun shooting, though.

The trigger is one of two mods I did to our Target T-bolt, then. I invested in the pricey Jard trigger and now that trigger breaks at only 16 ounces. The Jard is a bit finicky to adjust, though, same as many match trigger setups. Another plus for the Jard, though, is that it replaces the composite trigger guard with an all metal trigger guard. Not a big deal, but I still prefer metal to composite.

The other mod I did was to polish out the dull (and I do mean dull), matte finish stock. These T-bolts are meant to hunt.

They're also meant to shoot, if ours is typical. Shot three sub-half inch groups from the rest with Eley Target at 50 yards. This one was the best and now that I look at it, I think that's 5 shots, not 4, under a quarter inch. Regardless, this gun is showing great accuracy potential for this first time out. Stunning, actually.

Since I had the usual backlog of other guns to work on before my fingers got too cold (and because Bill was whining to let him try the gun), I handed it over to Bill, planning to get it back for some offhand work. Mistake! I couldn't get it away from Bill, once he started to shoot it. He shot a total of 4 such targets, each target with 10 shots. Interesting, too, that once he got in the rhythm of working the t-bolt, he was pouring them into the bull at a considerably faster rate than what he does with our CZs. Not semi-auto, fast, mind you, but definitely faster than a conventional bolt gun. Less awkward to operate off a rest, too, than a lever gun.

So where does this T bolt fit in, relative to other offerings in the rimfire rifle world? Well, cheap, it ain't. Remember, this is a Browning, after all. You could probably buy two Henry rimfires for the price of this one. On the other hand, the t-bolt action is unique in the world of rimfire. Nothing else quite like it and, as I hope I have demonstrated, it's a very serious kind of fun gun, too. Yup, serious fun is a good label for the Browning T-bolt.

More on this one at another time (assuming I can get it before Bill does. :)). Hope you enjoyed it.
7 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Browning T bolt Target, serious fun gun

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Beautiful rifle and outstanding targets. Those are some tight groups at 50 yds. Impressive.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:20 pm

Does the bolt rotate? Great shooting as usual.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks, guys.

No, strictly a straight push and pull with the bolt, Sir Henry. No rotation any kind. As OI mentioned, it does take some effort to open and close, so it's not the simple, effortless push of a finger to open and close like you may have seen on biathlon rifles in the Olympics. Not your typical bolt action, for sure.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:55 pm

I have been lookin at the maple stock version of those for sometime. Nice to see some shooting results from one. Nice job as usual NCG. Thanks for the great right up on it to.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:11 am

Al, my local dealer doesn't have the connections to get one of those limited edition maple stock T-bolts or I would have jumped all over one. The walnut Browning uses on their basic grade guns is as plain as it gets, but the wood in this Target is actually pretty nice.
1 x