Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Reconnecting with a Police Range Report

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Reconnecting with a Police Range Report

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:59 pm

Maybe you talked about this before but how do you like the Remington style grip & balance? Compared to a Colt style or your Schofield?
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:16 pm

CT_Shooter wrote:
Steve51 wrote:Do have any idea the type of powder and amount used in the reloads you were shooting?
Hi, Steve.

PT7 asked me to respond since I sent him the .357 magnum reloads. For the ZERO 130 gr. FMJs, I use a WSPM primer and 7.5 gr. of Unique. For the Hornady 158 gr. XTPs, I use a WSPM primer and 13.9 gr. of H110.

I bought and reloaded the 130 gr. FMJs during a time when ZERO 125 gr. and 158 gr. JSP/JHPs were out of stock ( for more than a year, as I recall ).

I prefer ZERO jacketed 158s for .357 magnum and now have several thousand on hand. I'll only use the 130 FMJs to reload .38 specials for my Colt Official Police revolver.
Thanks CT_Shooter. Appreciate the info.
I have never tried Zero bullets but I do use Hornady 158 gr. XTP JHP in most of my .357 loads. For handguns I use 7.4 gr. of Unique and for my Henry lever action I use 14.5 gr. of 2400. I do not use magnum primers for either of these loads.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:35 pm

Steve51 wrote:
Thanks CT_Shooter. Appreciate the info.
I have never tried Zero bullets but I do use Hornady 158 gr. XTP JHP in most of my .357 loads. For handguns I use 7.4 gr. of Unique and for my Henry lever action I use 14.5 gr. of 2400. I do not use magnum primers for either of these loads.
I rely on Hornady's Ninth for H110 loads for .158 JSP/JHPs and only want one load that I can use for both my revolver and my rifle. I shoot indoors at 25 yards, and I like it because it's in the lower to middle of the recommended range.

If I didn't have so much H110, Unique, Universal, and HP-38 on hand, I'd really like to try 2400. When I was buying my inventory of powders, it wasn't available anywhere. As it is, I've got enough reloading components now to exceed my actuarial lifespan, though that may not prevent me from also trying 2400 sometime, too.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:02 pm

Yeah, I briefly mentioned the "Remington style grip" when I intro'd the 1890 Police, and my concern that the back of the trigger guard wouldn't "recoil-bite" me like the Vaquero did when I shot it using the plow hand grip on that Ruger model. http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ice#p72921 So far I've had no issues and love this Remington grip on the Police. A plus for me is the grip ring, too. I slip my little finger under the grip in front of the ring. Really gives me more stability and control of the revolver.

To be honest, RR, I'm not sure what a "Colt style" grip is. It's a challenge for me to get a grip on grips. There are numerous styles and variations for different guns, and even the same gun can change its handle. I've looked at some web images of the Colt style, and they look very similar to the plow hand grip my Vaquero carried. I wonder if that's what was on that Ruger .357 revolver? So maybe you can enlighten me on the Colt style?

For me the Russian (Schofield) is in a class of its own. ;) The real key in using this grip is the trigger spur. When I hold that using my middle shooting hand finger and snug the grip into my palm, it almost feels like this was built to fit my hand! I've handle an identical-sized Schofield without the trigger spur; more challenging for me to keep a grip on the that grip. I'd bet a nice leather glove would help.

After I cleaned my Police revolver today from my range visit, I pulled out all three of my Uberti revolvers for some more trio photos....just for fun. I happened to take a close-up photo of the three grips. What do ya think?
Stallion_Police_Russian3008.JPG
Stallion_Police_Russian3008.JPG (247.8 KiB) Viewed 570 times
Have a great weekend!
PT7
RanchRoper wrote:Maybe you talked about this before but how do you like the Remington style grip & balance? Compared to a Colt style or your Schofield?
1 x

~Пока~