Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

1903 vs. Tactical Carbine Course

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

1903 vs. Tactical Carbine Course

Post by Hrfunk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:22 am

Hi all! Here is my first video of the new year and it's one of my favorites. In this one, I'm pitting my trusty '03 Springfield rifle against a modern day law enforcement qualification course. The course, and its time limits, were devised with a semi-automatic tactical carbine in mind. To see how the old war horse fares, click on the link below. Also, be sure to let me know your thoughts after you finish watching!

HRF

https://youtu.be/eoV6ZF11-5w
7 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: 1903 vs. Tactical Carbine Course

Post by Henry88 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Hey Hrfunk, great video and impressive that you did it on your first attempt.

Just a heads up, at 4:57 you say you will start in the low ready position, but at 5:15 you're already pointed at the target with both hands on the rifle when the buzzer goes off. Keep them coming..............
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:13 pm

well done .... thanks again for joining our community and for stimulating interesting conversations .... I well remember after WWII seeing barrels of 03's for sale in military surplus stores .... I now wish I'd done more than look and bought a couple ..... please visit our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total .... looking forward to your coming video range reports and observations

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 909#p79909
1 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:14 pm

Great shooting and video! I have a range neighbor who brings over his military weapons to shoot and it usually ends up in a "tactical" rebuild session!
0 x

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks fellas! I admit I did not employ the "classic" low-ready position. That said, whenever I've actually operated with a tactical carbine, I carry it in a similar manner to the way I shot the '03. Which is to say it is just below my line of sight. If I need to fire, it is very fast to slightly raise the weapon and acquire the target. I'll call it "tactical low ready" (Because, of course putting the word "tactical" in front of anything automatically provides justification regardless of how silly the subject might be!). In any case, I actually did raise the rifle to my line of sight for each stage, if only slightly. So I felt as though I met the requirements of the course.

Thanks again!
Howard
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:56 pm

Impressive video!
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

shootinthecinders
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by shootinthecinders » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:47 pm

Good shooting with the ‘03 under time constraints and an interesting, educational video. I appreciate the advice about thumb placement when operating the bolt while shooting left handed. I’ve never shot mine left handed; but if I ever do, thanks for the heads up.
0 x

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:57 pm

shootinthecinders wrote:Good shooting with the ‘03 under time constraints and an interesting, educational video. I appreciate the advice about thumb placement when operating the bolt while shooting left handed. I’ve never shot mine left handed; but if I ever do, thanks for the heads up.
You're welcome! My thumb has nearly recovered.

HRF
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:03 pm

shootinthecinders wrote:Good shooting with the ‘03 under time constraints and an interesting, educational video. I appreciate the advice about thumb placement when operating the bolt while shooting left handed. I’ve never shot mine left handed; but if I ever do, thanks for the heads up.
I’m a southpaw and when I shoot lefthanded I keep my right hand on the forearm and work the bolt over the top with my left hand. I believe most left hand shooters do this.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:40 pm

I watched this a second time because I kept thinking about the way you were shooting left handed. I tried it your way and it gave me a new appreciation your shooting. It is far more physically demanding than going over the top. And it seems much faster.

I wish I had known this 50 years ago.
0 x