Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

1903 vs. Tactical Carbine Course

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: 1903 vs. Tactical Carbine Course

Post by Hrfunk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:43 am

Sir Henry wrote:I watched this a second time because I kept thinking about the way you were shooting left handed. I tried it your way and it gave me a new appreciation your shooting. It is far more physically demanding than going over the top. And it seems much faster.

I wish I had known this 50 years ago.
I actually heard about this technique for running a right-handed bolt rifle from fellow Snipers who were left-handed. I never tried it before I made this video. Other than taking a few chunks out of my thumb, it worked well enough. Since time was an issue, I thought it would be the fastest way to cycle the bolt.

Howard
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:17 am

Hrfunk wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:I watched this a second time because I kept thinking about the way you were shooting left handed. I tried it your way and it gave me a new appreciation your shooting. It is far more physically demanding than going over the top. And it seems much faster.

I wish I had known this 50 years ago.
I actually heard about this technique for running a right-handed bolt rifle from fellow Snipers who were left-handed. I never tried it before I made this video. Other than taking a few chunks out of my thumb, it worked well enough. Since time was an issue, I thought it would be the fastest way to cycle the bolt.

Howard
Lee Harvey Oswald shot left handed and worked the bolt with his right hand but he had a sill to rest the forearm.

You are a remarkable shooter to be able to do that offhand.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am

Thank you!

Howard
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:04 pm

I had an 03 for years and have always regretted letting it go. I was young, Stationed in Hawaii with a couple kids at home and needed a lighter rifle to hunt mountainous areas in Hawaii. A member of our hunting club had a custom 308 he offered to trade even for that tack driver of a 30-06, and ... well; we have all made trades or sales we regret. (That wasn't the first or the last.) Mark was a local Gunsmith, and the foam injected fiberglass stock on the 308 was his own design. Featherweight, and made the rifle a beast to shoot but a dream to carry. :)

Great vid... I'm a fan.
:)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hrfunk
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Hrfunk » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:34 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:

Great vid... I'm a fan.
:)
Thank you!

Howard
0 x

Flinch
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Flinch » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:29 am

I am going to try the Ohio LEO Carbine Course with my 1903A1 for a change of pace, it looks like fun.

A few years back I got ahold of a 30 round qualification course that is used by police in my area and have fired it with the 1903A1. One of the toughest stages is moving from the 10 yard line to the 5 yard line while firing 4 body shots and 1 head shot in 5 seconds. It's tough to get 4 shots in on the move with a 100 year old bolt gun, I've never managed to get in all 5 shots.
1 x
Be thankful we are not getting all the government we are paying for. - Will Rogers