Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Our serious fun guns

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Re: Our serious fun guns

Post by roddy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:25 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Roddy, have actually heard the Norincos are pretty decent shooters, if it's just a shooter you want. As for the Belgium versus Japan Brownings, no difference in any category, other than every wants a Belgium for the sake of owning a Belgium Browning. Fit, finish and accuracy are just as good on the Japan guns. Triggers are consistently pretty good as far as being crisp and no creep, but can vary a little as to pull weight. Worth cherry picking if your LGS will let you.
Kate's Norinco shot quite well once she switched to the CCI SV I was using in the 25/22. She brought along some Winchester super X, and her gun wasn't having it. Of the three SA 22s I looked at, two were not in great shape. The third is really clean, but I think he wants too much for it. No concerns over Japanese quality here...I have a Miroku made X-Bolt in .223 with a 1 in 8 twist, and have no complaints. Very nice gun.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:01 pm

We gave up on Winchester Super X long time, ago. Too many headaches trying to get it to work in some of our guns.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Super X needs a lot of headspace to me. My problem with it has always getting the bolt to fully lock.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:11 am

The case diameter Super X also tends to run oversize to the point that it was impossible to use in some of our revolvers. Bought a bunch of it during the great rimfire ammo shortage because it was all we could get at the time, but need to shoot it up to get rid of it.
0 x

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:24 pm

This has been a fun read. Thanks NCG. Also the comments regarding .22 ammo had me thinking. Starting a new thread on the ammo section.
0 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:30 am

North Country Gal wrote:Oh, yeah, got keep your arm away from that ejection port. :)
One of the great advantages of the little Browning is that it can cause equal pain to both right & left hand shooters. ;)
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:13 am

Actually, having a hot case go down your top is worse (and, no, you may not ask me how I know. :)) Does make for an interesting "dance" at the bench, though. Draws a crowd.

The Browning has been a well-behaved gun in that respect, though ... so far.
2 x

wingnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by wingnut » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:58 am

That "dance" is a universal unisex problem around auto and semi-auto shoots. Though, some peeps are more entertaining than others. Along with the song of "Watch that muzzle." :roll:
0 x
You're born & you die. In between you get to shoot a bunch guns. Kind of sums up life to me. - Colorado Bob

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:06 pm

...and the up your sleeve "shake it out"
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:04 pm

North Country Gal wrote:How about just grabbing some ammo and plink away, just like we did when we were kids?

AMEN ... my only competition is with myself and the reality is, often, that competition is too intense .... at our last family shoot, I watched one of our sons working with his 8 year old daughter .... he'd put a 10 round magazine in his 10-22 and work with her on taking careful aim .... she did well .... the next 10 rounds he'd let her shoot as she wished .... the meant, seeing how fast she could pull the trigger .... she loved it .... I remember doing the same thing .... this year I hope to shoot more skeet, jugs, gongs, spinners and such .... I'll still shoot plenty of paper targets but I'm going to try and enjoy it more
0 x