Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Our serious fun guns

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Our serious fun guns

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:07 pm

One of our goals for this next shooting year is to lighten up, so to speak, with the type of guns we shoot. More of the fun guns, in other words. Oh, our mainstay "serious" guns will always be our Contenders, CZs and classic single shots, but what about going out to relax and not worry about shaving that last tenth of an inch of group size? How about just grabbing some ammo and plink away, just like we did when we were kids?

To that end, we've recently expanded our collection to include more of these fun shooters. Sold off some collectibles (that were only collecting dust) for some guns that could put some of old fashioned fun back in our shooting. The fun gun we've that we've become enchanted with is this little Browning SA 22, semi-auto 22 LR. This one is brand new, first time to the range on this cold and snowy December day.

Given that the Marlin 39 is now a custom shop only gun from Remington, the little Browning SA 22 is now the oldest gun still in continuous regular production. Yup, the first one hit the market in 1914 and true to the Browning name, it was a John Browning design, one of his last, in fact.

Some specs, here. Loads though the buttstock. Tubular mag holds 10 rounds of 22 LR. Barrel length 19.375", overall length a trim 37". Weight a dainty 5 lbs, 3 ounces. Bottom ejection. Take down construction. All steel and walnut construction. No plastic, no stampings, no aluminum anywhere.

Here's another one. This is a Belgium made SA 22, made in 1962. Not much has changed over the years.

It's when we talk reliability and accuracy with these little Browning 22s that things start to get serious. For initial accuracy testing new rimfires, I typical use the outstanding Nikon 3-9x EFR. Will change to a trimmer scope more in keeping with the little gun nature of these Brownings at some point.

Here's what these quality little Browning SA 22s can do, right out of the box. This is not a fluke, by the way. I've repeated this with two other Browning SA-22s. right down to the tenth of an inch.

And here's today's not so great offhand target, shot with cold fingers, right at the end of our session. Have done much better with these little Brownings in warmer weather, but what I find so interesting is that I actually shoot offhand with these Browning semi autos about as well as I do with our tricked out CZs and Contenders. I expect it's because these Brownings just happen to fit me perfectly for offhand work, plus I do enjoy the minimal sight disruption I get from shooting a semi-auto.

As for reliability, shooting plain jane CCI SV, not a single hiccup. Can't ask more of a new fun gun on its first outing. And a little Browning SA 22 eye candy, here. Grade VI

Should be a seriously fun shooting summer for us this next year. :)
8 x

John M
Wrangler
New Zealand

Re: Our serious fun guns

Post by John M » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:31 pm

I have an older top loader great gun but hot empty cases down a loose jacket sleeve gets your attention.
20181219_122414.jpg
20181219_122414.jpg (141.06 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:07 pm

Oh, yeah, got keep your arm away from that ejection port. :)
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:44 pm

but what about going out to relax and not worry about shaving that last tenth of an inch of group size? How about just grabbing some ammo and plink away, just like we did when we were kids?
I agree - get off the bench and out to the field - the pine cones around me are shaking in their seeds when I hit the woods around me!
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:08 am

Never had those fun experiences when I was a kid; I only started owning firearms and shooting at age 64.
But like the range visit I did today, I was mainly out for fun & relaxation. Agreed...that's the best. :D
PT7
How about just grabbing some ammo and plink away, just like we did when we were kids?
1 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 am

Thanks, folks. You know, as a kid, I never dreamed I'd grow old and still be shooting as much as ever. There I was, yesterday, doing a happy dance when I dropped that last shot into the group with the little Browning. Never get tired of of shooting a nice gun and making it do its magic. Really is a lifelong kind of sport.
6 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:59 am

Someone needs to shoot a Henry rimfire. Try throwing out a tennis ball and keep it rolling for ten shots.

I’m amazed at the accuracy of the Browing. But in your hands everything is accurate.
3 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

roddy
Cowhand
Canada

Post by roddy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:15 pm

I have been eyeballing those little SA 22s lately. One of my local shops has 3 used ones on the shelf. One is Belgian made, and the other two are from Miroku. A friend stopped by last week with his girlfriend, and she brought her .22 along. I thought it was an SA 22, but on closer inspection, it was a Norinco. The wood was not as glossy, and the bluing didn't have the typical Browning deepness (for lack of a better word), but short of that, it was a really good knock-off.

Our CZ 512s have been serving this function quite well for us, but with both of them being WMR, a day plinking in the woods can be noisy and expensive (at least when compared to .22LR). This is part of the reason I picked up a receiver for a 10/22 build, and have been checking out the SA 22. A Remington 552 is high on the shortlist as well, for its ability to cycle shorts.

Sir Henry, I have tried the tennis ball thing, and got pretty frustrated. I kept thinking I was missing the ball. It turns out, as many times as not, the round will pass right through the ball without moving it. Golf balls are more of a challenge to hit, but really move when you do.
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Roddy once the ball is in motion the bullet doesn’t just pass through. Also hitting the wall with English like in pool helps.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Roddy, have actually heard the Norincos are pretty decent shooters, if it's just a shooter you want. As for the Belgium versus Japan Brownings, no difference in any category, other than every wants a Belgium for the sake of owning a Belgium Browning. Fit, finish and accuracy are just as good on the Japan guns. Triggers are consistently pretty good as far as being crisp and no creep, but can vary a little as to pull weight. Worth cherry picking if your LGS will let you.
1 x