Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

First day shooting the H006MR .357 Carbine.

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Omegaspeedy
Wrangler
Australia

First day shooting the H006MR .357 Carbine.

Post by Omegaspeedy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:04 pm

Today was the first day shooting the Carbine and I have to say I was impressed considering the type of firearm it is, that it shoots pistol ammo from a shortish barrel, and has semi-buckhorn sights which I've never used before (Had to Google to work out the correct sight picture and there's very little if no info readily available!!).

It was a cool 14 degree C day with 10-15kts quartering headwind and the sun right behind me. Targets were very bright and almost washed out when viewed with the naked eye. I rested the carbine on a leather rice bag and shouldered the stock.

I started at 25m to get her on paper. When I bought the carbine I only picked up a box of 50 American Eagle 158gr Jacketed soft points (these bad boys have a big flat lead nose and I wouldn't expect them to fly that well out at 75-100m). The first 5 were on an A4 target, 8" low and 2" to the right on average. I was trying to establish a reliable and consistent sight picture with the buckhorn sights, so the group wasn't great. I should also mention my 46year old eyes don't work like they did when I was younger and the trough of the buckhorn was mostly blurry though the bead was clear enough.

I adjusted the windage with the brass punch and set the elevation which nearly got the next 5 closer to the bull. Another small adjustment and now it was time to get some groups. I moved the target out to 50m, shot 5 off the bag and it was good enough but I though better could be achieved. Being very conscious of repeating the same sight picture another 5 gave a group of 2 1/2". Still not impressed, I decided to shoot the carbine with fore-grip in hand, hand rested on bag, elbow on bench and stock in shoulder for some faster shooting still focussing on sight picture. BINGO! 1" group.

I repeated again and this is a winner. I then moved the target to 75m, this time that target appeared very small (for my eyes) and a lot harder to pick up, so a bit of lateral and vertical interpolation was required around the A4 paper. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised to see a 1.9-2.2" group on two targets! Smiling from ear to ear, I set up the target at 100m. I could not even see the ink on the paper, probably due to how bright the paper was. I fired the last 10 rounds not expecting anything special. I wasn't disappoint, I got nothing special :D The group was about 6" but on paper, so I guess considering it was guess work, it was ok.

The carbine operated flawlessly, very smooth and a joy to shoot. Soft recoil similar or slightly more to my AR. Can't wait to reload a few 100 and really get to know this gun with some off hand fast 25-50m and more bench rest. I do believe that with a magnified optic, this would be capable of sub 2" MOA. I really like the carbine, its a keeper!!
Attachments
IMG_5340.jpg
IMG_5340.jpg (388.47 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
IMG_5339.JPG
IMG_5339.JPG (180.64 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
IMG_5338.JPG
IMG_5338.JPG (200.52 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
5 x
H006MR .357 Carbine How many 746
HO12R .44 How many 857

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: First day shooting the H006MR .357 Carbine.

Post by ESquared » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:23 pm

Great report and even better shooting, so thanks for sharing. Going from Googling Buckhorn sights to figuring them out, to adjusting them, to getting 6" groups at 100m is fantastic work, congrats!

A simple 1.5-4X scope is great on that rifle, and just right for the kind of distances you'd typically be shooting.
Attachments
Henry BBS 357 w Scope Aug 15 2018 001.JPG
Henry BBS 357 w Scope Aug 15 2018 001.JPG (136.84 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Good shooting. And welcome to the forum.
1 x
Pax at Justitia

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 pm

Good shooting for the first time out, Omegaspeedy! You've just become another "keeper" member of the .357 Big Boy...lots of Henry Folk really like this caliber rifle. Glad you are pleased with your new Carbine.....Enjoy!

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

Omegaspeedy
Wrangler
Australia

Post by Omegaspeedy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:37 pm

Thanks guys, it was a fun day out. I'm really looking forward to have a lot more ammo next time so I can get a real feel for this great gun. Once I get to know it well, I might alternate between the buckhorns and a scope as mentioned by ESquared. Also what do you reckon about the peep sights like a Skiiner? Is there an advantage for old eyes or will I have the same issue and just struggle out to distance?
0 x
HO12R .44 How many 857

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:55 pm

Omegaspeedy wrote: Also what do you reckon about the peep sights like a Skiiner? Is there an advantage for old eyes or will I have the same issue and just struggle out to distance?
Peep sights are highly recommended by many with older vision. Receiver peeps and progressive lenses let me hit the 300 yard gong.
Many here like Skinners
1 x
Pax at Justitia

Omegaspeedy
Wrangler
Australia

Post by Omegaspeedy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:59 pm

Thats great to know! I need to find one here in NZ. If not, hopefully they can be shipped here.
0 x
HO12R .44 How many 857

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:48 pm

With my eyes I can't use a receiver mounted sight. Too close to my face to use/see. Close in I could use my barrel mounted buckhorn fairly well. Not so much approaching 50-60yds. I ended up going with a scope and much happy that I did.
Omegaspeedy wrote:Thanks guys, it was a fun day out. I'm really looking forward to have a lot more ammo next time so I can get a real feel for this great gun. Once I get to know it well, I might alternate between the buckhorns and a scope as mentioned by ESquared. Also what do you reckon about the peep sights like a Skiiner? Is there an advantage for old eyes or will I have the same issue and just struggle out to distance?
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:02 am

Omegaspeedy wrote:. I do believe that with a magnified optic, this would be capable of sub 2" MOA. I really like the carbine, its a keeper!!
I will let you in on a little secret, most levers will shoot 2moa or better with a scope. I think the inaccurate reputation they have is due people comparing them to a scoped rifles.
I have 5 levers 3 marlins 1 Erma & 1 Henry, they all shoot in fact one of the Marlins is a genuine moa rifle and by that I mean if you sit down and fire 5 groups it will average less than moa across all groups.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:45 am

Is there an advantage for old eyes or will I have the same issue and just struggle out to distance?
Most anyone will benefit from a peep regardless of age but as previously mentioned some may have an issue with the peep close to the eye but as bad as the stock rear buckhorn is on the Henry almost anything is an improvement.
I had cataract surgery at a relatively 'young' age (for as bad as the cataract was) and am still working on close to the eye sight issues but even with this I can shoot pretty well with a receiver peep sight and recently discovered going to a smaller diameter aperture helps a lot.
The Skinner is certainly one option but look at my previous post with a pic of a Williams mounted on my BBB .357.
There are also barrel mounted options other than a buckhorn and one is the 'Bullseye' style from Marbles Sights. These offer a 'peep' style view - but mount in the location of the stock buckhorn and this can help with those who have issues with receiver mounted peeps. I may still give one of these a try just to satisfy my own curiosity.
2 x