Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PT7 -- Stallion on the Range

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

PT7 -- Stallion on the Range

Post by PT7 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:33 pm

First range visit with this new Uberti replica revolver: 1873 Stallion S/A in .22LR.
1873 Stallion_2863_crop.jpg
1873 Stallion_2863_crop.jpg (147.31 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
~~~Shot off hand, two-handed, and one-handed at one of the targets.
~~~Ammo used was 50 rounds of CCI 40gr, and 30 rounds of Blazer (CCI-Speer) 40gr.

6" splash with 5/16" red bull set at 7 yards.
20/20 POIs in target. My very first shot was in the red bull! Very happy with that...great start with this Stallion Six-Gun.

DSCN2896.JPG
DSCN2896.JPG (202.04 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
12" X 8.5" half silhouette splash set at 15 yards (yeah, I shot it upside down). The orange bull is 3".
24/25 POIs in target, and the groups opened up.

DSCN2899.JPG
DSCN2899.JPG (188.66 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
7" orange paper target set at 7 yards. 19/20 POIs in target.
DSCN2897.JPG
DSCN2897.JPG (186.31 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

Last target is another 7" orange paper target set at 7 yards. 13/15 POIs in target.
This was the only target I shot one-handed. I smiled at my quite steady hand today! :D

DSCN2898.JPG
DSCN2898.JPG (191.28 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
The Stallion is a cool .22, and the outdoor range time was much fun.
PT7
2 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: PT7 -- Stallion on the Range

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Nice work, PT and love the one hand shooting. How's the trigger on that Uberti? Might have to see if I can find one.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:24 pm

Great job! Looks like you broke that one in very quickly! Congrats on some great shooting! Love the CCH frame!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:42 pm

You know, with all these cool reproduction revolvers that you are posting about, I'm going to have to accuse you of being an enabler. Really makes me want to head to my LGS and try to find one. :) They are very cool guns, though. Love them.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:57 am

ESquared wrote:Great job! Looks like you broke that one in very quickly! Congrats on some great shooting! Love the CCH frame!
This SA revolver sure didn't need any "breaking in." It was fired up from shot #1. Still, thanks for the compliment.

Like I said in the October 19th Forum thread, "It was the fastest draw I've ever made on a gun purchase. No hesitation on the decision." And what did that for me was not only the model, caliber, etc., of the gun. It was the looks, which really caught my attention. Yes, the CCH colors/design, and especially the brass in between the grips and the trigger guard and frame. Now that I've shot it, it even looks sharper to me! ;)
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:23 am

North Country Gal wrote:Nice work, PT and love the one hand shooting. How's the trigger on that Uberti? Might have to see if I can find one.
NCG, I don't think I can provide a good evaluation of the trigger. Just don't know that much about single action revolvers. Mostly have shot DA/SA ones, and rarely if ever used the SA function. Got to read up on these triggers.

I did notice a couple of things about the trigger. Again, my comments are in very layman terms, w/o much technical savvy. I barely needed to pull the trigger and it fired extremely easily. I didn't feel any play as I pulled it, and one time when I put my trigger finger within the guard, I shot it a little prematurely before I was fully settled on the target. I learned that I really need to pay attention to this trigger. And even need to more carefully handle the other SA revolvers I've recently acquired.

I read once that the definition of a hair trigger is: "a gun trigger that goes off with a very light squeeze." I'd say that's what it felt like to me when I shot this Stallion.

Last comment on the trigger. Retired Seabee wrote he has the exact same revolver and that he really likes it. Maybe he'll chime in about the trigger from his shooting experience?
North Country Gal wrote:You know, with all these cool reproduction revolvers that you are posting about, I'm going to have to accuse you of being an enabler. Really makes me want to head to my LGS and try to find one. :) They are very cool guns, though. Love them.
I think I'd rather be less of an enabler. I've realized something as I've moved to acquiring these SA revolvers. Along I don't "live" in the late 1800s like RR does, and don't have the expertise in shooting like you, RR, ESquared, and any number of Henry Forum folk, I think I've found my "niche" with firearms. I cannot shoot shotguns nor rifles that well at all. (My SGC is an exception with the receiver-mounted ghost ring rear sight). These revolvers, with their fixed-ramp rear sights and front blades, work well for my eyes. That's one part of the niche.

The other is the simple function of these revolvers. It slows me down very nicely, and I'm mostly relaxed when I shoot. A quite pleasant part of the niche.

Maybe I can shift the "enabler" coat to another Forum person. CT_Shooter "introduced" me to the Uberti line of replica revolvers as he often told me how much he enjoyed his .357 Smoke Wagon. And I liked the looks of his Cowboy Six-Gun, too. Anyway, CT_Shooter was right on. These are cool handguns.

I wouldn't object, however, if you definitely "need to get one," and share your experience and Range Reports with us. ;)
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:05 am

Nice job PT. I love my 12 shot Uberti. I must say the trigger on mine is better than the Rugers I have. Having 12 shots to is nice. After seeing some of the leather on the forum I have been looking for a belt and holster for mine.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:22 am

Great shooting. That is a real nice gun. You are ready to walk the streets of Tombstone.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:50 am

PT, I was only kidding you about the enabler thing. Not to worry. If anything, I'm a LOT guiltier of being an enabler. :)

12 shots is cool. It's like carrying two six guns in one. I, too, enjoy single actions revolver s and for those same reasons. I like the slower pace and the manual aspect of landing and unloading them. Makes me feel a bit more connected to the gun, so to speak.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:33 pm

The way you shoot NCG Im not sure you have any kind of connection issue with any gun you pick up.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55