Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowgirl Corner: Smith 44 mag accuracy test

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Cowgirl Corner: Smith 44 mag accuracy test

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:45 pm

Since my initial outing with the S&W 629-3 44 mag was so promising, I returned home and added an Ultradot to help my eyes see what this fine 44 mag revolver could do for accuracy.

The gun did not disappoint. Here's what it can do from a rest with the relatively cheap Mag-tech ammo. Match grade accuracy with bulk ammo I'll take, anytime.

Then followed that with some offhand shooting. Several groups, later, one of my best ever offhand revolver groups.

Moved the shooting out to 50 yards for a serious test. Had to hold a touch low in the bull from my 25 yard setting on the red dot, but not too much. Couldn't quite keep the same pace, though. Pulled one out of the 6" bull, but most shots were inside the 4" ring. I'm still getting to know this gun, in particular, the especially easy breaking trigger, compared to my other big frame Smiths. Really is a treat, though.

About as short and sweet as a gun or range report can get. Very happy with this one.
6 x

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Cowgirl Corner: Smith 44 mag accuracy test

Post by bandit1250 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:19 am

Very nice 44 Magnum and you shoot it well. Seeing this 44 Mag makes me miss owning one even if I rarely shot it. I was actually quite accurate with my 44's but I shot them a lot and learned to deal with the heavier recoil they have over the smaller calibers. A lot of my friends that shot mine were not accurate with them because they were flinching because of knowing there was going to be some stout recoil. When I was really in to hand guns years back I had the big 44 Mag. Smith's in the blued version, the nickle, and the stainless all with the 8 3/8" barrel. Had several blued 29's over the years and a Colt Anaconda 44. I just couldn't get to like the Anaconda as much as the big Smith's. I did kill two deer with the Anaconda. Hunted with it with open sights and dropped a nice big doe in our antlerless season a little over a hundred yards with one shot. High shoulder shot that broke the spine. The other was a under 50 yd. shot. It ran maybe 15-20 yds. If I still had all the 44's I have owned including the single action Super Black Hawks I would have a large family of 44 Mags. I did reload for my 44's and used factory ammo very little only to get the brass. Would like to have one like pictured.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:18 am

Those are great targets. I would be very happy too. Excellent.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, my husband has NO interest in learning to handle the 44 mag recoil and getting the 44 mag to shoot with accuracy and neither do most shooters. I get that. It is something you have to learn and shooting a standard size 357 revolver a lot won't get you there. Shooting the 44 mag and other hard kicking big bores is a whole different game. On the other hand, my husband loves shooting this gun with 44 Specials, so it's a gun that works for both of us.

I've been shooting 44 mag revolvers since the 70s and have tried to swear off the 44 mag and similar, more than once. Never lasts, though, just like this last time, hence the addition to the collection of this 629. Guess I've been shooting big bore revolvers for too long and now it's in the blood.
1 x