Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowgirl Corner: quick look at the TC Contender

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Cowgirl Corner: quick look at the TC Contender

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:09 pm

JEBar wrote:earlier today I was, literally, able to take my first close look at a 7 mm TC Contender that is used for long range competition .... I was impressed by how solidly built is is .... it is most certainly a handful to fire and was extremely accurate
Was that Contender chambered for the 7 TCU. That is a very accurate round. I had a 6.5 TCU barrel for my first Contender. That was also a very accurate barrel.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:17 pm

The 7 TCU was probably the most popular of the 7mm silhouette chamberings. Had just enough power to knock down those heavy steel rams reliably out there at 200 yards, but still mild enough to be shot all day. Was also an easy cartridge to make from 223 brass. I knew silhouette shooters who also used it for deer hunting. One of the most popular Contender barrels, ever. Lots of used ones, around.

Speaking of Contenders, actually took 5 different rigs out, earlier in the week. Didn't post on them, since I think I post about Contenders, enough, but while cleaning them that night, was reminded of another reason I love Contenders. The Contender has to be one of the easiest and most convenient gun to clean, ever. Just open one up, swab the bore, then give the gun a quick wipe down. I can clean 5 Contender rigs in about the same time as it takes me to properly clean one revolver after a long range session. Love my revolvers, but they get really filthy, quick.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:30 pm

bandit1250 wrote:Was that Contender chambered for the 7 TCU. That is a very accurate round. I had a 6.5 TCU barrel for my first Contender. That was also a very accurate barrel.

that is my understanding .... while I have little (if any) interest in a single shot firearm, I can still appreciate their quality (or lack there of) .... I was impressed with its feel, balance and performance ....
0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:48 pm

I got to shoot that Contender shown by JEBAR and there is a learning curve to shoot that gun as I learned the hard way. I will spare you the bloody details but on the third shot I actual hit what I was aiming at. A real cool pistol! Can't wait to get another chance to shoot it.
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

bandit1250
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by bandit1250 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:59 pm

JEBar wrote:
bandit1250 wrote:Was that Contender chambered for the 7 TCU. That is a very accurate round. I had a 6.5 TCU barrel for my first Contender. That was also a very accurate barrel.

that is my understanding .... while I have little (if any) interest in a single shot firearm, I can still appreciated their quality (or lack there of) .... I was impressed with its feel, balance and performance ....
Single shots are not for every one. I actually prefer single shot bolt rifles for my varmint hunting. I also like hunting squirrels with my Remington 510X bolt action 22 single shots. It just reminds me of the early years in the woods hunting squirrels with Dad. The single shot Contenders are a specialty fire arm that seems you either don't like them or are addicted to them. I believe I fit the second category. I look for Contenders at the shows and shops first thing when I go in to see what is available if any.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:35 pm

I don't think I would like a 'real' single shot. My Mossberg 500 .410 acts like a single shot and I don't like it. When I go to pump the next cartridge it throws it on the ground. The cartridge stop at the back of the tube releases before the elevator gets there to catch the cartridge and lift it into the chamber.
bandit1250 wrote:
JEBar wrote:

that is my understanding .... while I have little (if any) interest in a single shot firearm, I can still appreciated their quality (or lack there of) .... I was impressed with its feel, balance and performance ....
Single shots are not for every one. I actually prefer single shot bolt rifles for my varmint hunting. I also like hunting squirrels with my Remington 510X bolt action 22 single shots. It just reminds me of the early years in the woods hunting squirrels with Dad. The single shot Contenders are a specialty fire arm that seems you either don't like them or are addicted to them. I believe I fit the second category. I look for Contenders at the shows and shops first thing when I go in to see what is available if any.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:53 am

A repeater that decides to go single shot on its own doesn't stay in our collection for long. :) Don't have time for it.

On the other hand, I do shoot most of our bolt guns in single shot mode at the range, either via a single shot adapter or just loading a round directly in the chamber. I do love of break action singe shots and our classic falling block single shots, but going single shot with a bolt gun at the range does have an advantage over those guns in that the bolt and action can be operated without disturbing the gun's position on the rest. Still something to be said for the basic utility of a bolt gun. The bolt gun is still my go to gun when it comes to conventional rifles.
2 x