Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowgirl Corner: quick look at the TC Contender

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Cowgirl Corner: quick look at the TC Contender

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:52 pm

Swigs wrote:I also am a contender fan. I have a 32 h&r 357 357 max 44 45 colt only 22 barrels in 10 & 12 inch and a 223 for ground hog. I shoot bowling pins at 30 yds. Use to ne I would get aperfect 25 every time I shot my tc. Not so much anymore. But its not the guns fault. They are great .
For sure, they are great and addictive, too. Always seems to be room for another barrel and another and another. :)
0 x

Swigs
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Swigs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:04 pm

I also had a 10 inch 445 cal. Too violent I would rather shoot my Dan Wesson 445 . I just wish I knew what happened to my shooting ability with hand guns. My eyes are still good. I keep my eye on the front sight threw the shot and I squeese the trigger but not as good as I use to be
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:43 pm

How often do you shoot? I find that I need to shoot handguns on a more regular basis than rifles if I want to maintain my best. If I lay off my handgun work for too long, it takes me awhile to build back up to my best.
0 x

Swigs
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Swigs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:52 pm

Twice a week. About 50 rounds total
0 x

Swigs
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Swigs » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:54 pm

Believe it or not ever since I started to lighten the trigger pull it went down hill. Now a 3lb trigger I cant get it to go off
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:37 pm

No, that doesn't surprise me at all on the trigger pull. In fact, a competition trigger pull measured in ounces as found on some guns requires even more practice to master than a more standard trigger pull of 2 or 3 pounds. I have a couple of these guns. The timing of your trigger technique is radically different between a pull in ounces and a pull in pounds. Even small differences take time for the shooter to adjust. Case in point is my recent acquisition of my vintage 629-3. It has a lighter SA trigger than my other DA revolvers and even just that little bit of difference took some time for me to get on to it. Had a tendency to go off too soon and threw my timing off. My favorite triggers to work are actually on my 1911s and they measure about 3.5 to 4 pounds in pull weight. Not just the weight on the 1911s, of course, but also the way the gun fits my hand so well, so, yeah, there's more to trigger technique than actual poundage.

As for my Contenders, I have them set very light for target work, but I have to be very careful not to switch back and forth between Contenders and conventional handguns in a range session, because it's just too much of a gear change on the triggers.

For sure, our own Ranch Roper and his shooting of that one 1860 rifle makes a lot of sense in this respect. Something to be said for shooting one gun all the time. Not my style, though. I tend to be too much the all over the map type shooter as far as the types of guns I shoot and that sometimes works against me.
1 x

Swigs
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Swigs » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:29 am

I too like shooting different revolvers contenders rpms bfs and 1911. I will just hang in there and keep shooting.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:26 am

If I take multiple firearms to the range I always shoot the lies pull first. Shooting the heaviest trigger first gives me a lot of premature discharges when I go to the lighter trigger afterwards. Most of my Henry’s are between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 pounds and that one pound makes a world of difference.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:45 am

When I do find myself shooting very different kinds of guns, I'll often do some dry fire work as a tune up when switching guns. That helps.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:47 pm

earlier today I was, literally, able to take my first close look at a 7 mm TC Contender that is used for long range competition .... I was impressed by how solidly built is is .... it is most certainly a handful to fire and was extremely accurate
Attachments
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (153.56 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
1 x