Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New rifle... Same issue

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: New rifle... Same issue

Post by Dahliathemeh » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:04 am

The type of ammo I'm using is Remington, Herter's, Federal, and Winchester. The grains varying anywhere from 150 to 175, nothing crazy here.
After 10 shots the bolt seizes shut for up to a minute and then releases, in this time frame I cannot get the lever to operate until it wants too. Whether that means that the bolt is too hot and expands until it cools off and releases, or it's something else all together. It began to do this again and again after 3 shots then fourth no problem, fifth shot seize. At one point I counted to five after each shot, and the lever was still feeling very sticky and stiff.
It became a pattern 3rd shot seize, four, Five seize. Do this for forty shots and you would feel like me too.
1 x
I never take myself seriously....

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:53 am

Definitely seems heat-related, where the bolt assembly might be expanding more rapidly than the barrel (?). Had similar symptoms with my LR, and a completely new bolt assembly installation by HRA solved everything.

anthony@henryusa.com
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:00 am

Definitely seems heat-related, where the bolt assembly might be expanding more rapidly than the barrel
I agree and I believe I commented on this before. I suspect the bolt is hard chrome plated and this has added just enough material to cause it to bind in the receiver. Henry probably fit the bolts PRIOR to the plating and this is causing the problem.
If I recall It seems one owner commented on how he sent his AW back to the factory and it came back with a 'different' looking bolt.
2 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:28 am

Mistered wrote:
Definitely seems heat-related, where the bolt assembly might be expanding more rapidly than the barrel
I agree and I believe I commented on this before. I suspect the bolt is hard chrome plated and this has added just enough material to cause it to bind in the receiver. Henry probably fit the bolts PRIOR to the plating and this is causing the problem.
If I recall It seems one owner commented on how he sent his AW back to the factory and it came back with a 'different' looking bolt.
And this would explain why the second gun does it as well. Different rifle means the same factory bolt. Repaired rifle with different looking bolt (and fixed) means a different bolt to the stock one that you’ve tried twice. I also would get in touch with Anthony. He will make you happy!

You are going to have a VERY hot rifle shooting 40 to 75 rounds at a go, but if it starts seizing after the first 5 rounds, there is a bigger issue. Maybe try to get ahold of a laser thermometer and shoot the receiver and bolt for temps immediately after it seizes? If the bolt is way hotter than the receiver, I’d say that’s where the problem lies.

Are you 100% stuck on having an all weather model? Maybe the CCH or other finish could solve your issue (not that it should ever come to that!).
2 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:01 am

on my last rifle the bolt was never replaced. They only adjusted it, and that's when the issue got worse. After that point they sent me the new rifle, I wanted just a regular steel 30/30 but they sent me a brand new just off the line all weather. Now it's the same issue the old rifle used to seize open for a couple of seconds and release this one seizes for what feels like 20, seconds to a full minute. So at this point instead of the back and forth of the rifle from home to factory I am done with everything. I'm not saying Henry is a Bad Company by all means the customer service has been fantastic! I have just been receiving what I feel like has been a problem product. Couple with that the constant having to pay for more ammo just to have the same issue, and they have send my rifle back and send a shipping label we are both losing money at this point.
1 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:03 am

JEBar, can I have permission to send the Henry people the links to the all weather bolt seizing issue? I want them to see it's not just my issue.
1 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:23 am

I forgot to mention this has been going on since January of this year.
1 x

Redthies
Cowboy
Canada

Post by Redthies » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:21 pm

So what is your next step? Winchester? Marlin?
1 x
SGC .22 LR Stripped and oiled up
BBSC .357 w Skinner Express & Patridge
BBSC .44 Magnum with Skinners
Marlin 1895GS .45-70 w RPP Cloverleaf
Marlin 336BL .30-30 w Skinner LoPro 2 and Sig 2-7x
1912 Winchester 1894 .30 WCF

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:37 pm

Not sure, I have to research and see what will be a good firearm for both deer and turkey.
1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 pm

So what is your next step? Winchester? Marlin?
This would be my direction. I don’t really understand the ‘all weather’ concept - been hunting and shooting all my life in ‘all weather’ conditions (with standard wood & steel) and a little extra oil up front and a little extra cleaning on the return trip keeps everything in working order.
As usual it seems a lot of manufacturers want to create a solution for a problem that does not exist and the ‘all weather’ seems to be one of those ‘answers’.
2 x