Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Cowgirl Corner: 223 group shoot

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Cowgirl Corner: 223 group shoot

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:24 pm

I think I would like the 1 in 12 because shooting the lighter bullets make the barrel last longer.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:40 pm

Honestly, I don't think you'll have any issues about shooting out barrels with a 1 in 9, either, as long as you're shooting a bolt gun, single shot or even a lever gun. It's when you go to the AR platform and start shooting as fast as you can pull the trigger that you have the issue. Even in an AR, as long as you keep rate of fire reasonable for target accuracy, no problem.
0 x

Rochefort
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Rochefort » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:50 am

.223 is a great round that’s underrated as far as maximum range and accuracy. In Palma matches they’re shot wit iron sights at 800, 900, and 1000 yards (with 90 grain bullets and massive chamber pressures). For serious accuracy my preference is the 69 grain match bullet, like if I had money or car titles involved but otherwise I go cheap. I’ve even used (cough) Russkie steel case on occasion but only in a bolt gun.

Nice shooting and nice rifles, too!
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks. Couldn't agree more on just how useful a cartridge the 223 is. Works great for our recreational shooting, especially now that we no longer reload. In fact, we were originally attracted to the 223 as a cartridge we could shoot on the cheap and not have to worry about reloading or chasing brass. Accuracy, even with the cheap bulk stuff is pretty darn good. With the premium ammo, it's excellent.
0 x