Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Damp Range Day

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Damp Range Day

Post by Blackdog » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:03 pm

We've had a lot of rain and it stopped for half of the day - I, and many others, made a run to the range. I wanted to try new ammo in my 24" Henry .22 and my 20" .22 Magnum.

I shoot lever action silhouette and wanted to test some ammo before the last big match of the year - a week away.
I was pretty sure I wanted to shoot CCI Tac 22 ammo. I had been using Norma ammo and it took a few shots to dial in the Williams peep sight, I was getting a 1" group ay 50 and a 4" group at 100 yards. Not perfect shooting, but close enough for lever action matches. I'd settle for those groups.

Next I tried the .22 Magnum with CCI 40gr HP. After a couple of shots I was getting one ragged hole at 50 and 2" at 100 yards - Excellent!

Next I went back to the .22LR and tried Federal AutoMatch. I use to like this ammo, but it seemed to go bad after the "great .22 shortage". It was the first time I'd shot it in my Henry. And, well, darn it shot pretty good. About 1/2" at 50 yards and about 2" at 100 yard - with a wild-flyer in each group.

Considering how I shoot I can accept the occasional flyer (and probably never know it).

I'll take both CCI and Federal to the match and decide which to shoot that morning. (I have high hopes for the door prizes!)

Michael
Last edited by Blackdog on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Damp Range Day

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Best of luck in your match.

We've been shooting the Federal Automatch for years as our informal practice ammo. Been surprisingly accurate in a wide range of guns. Not sure I'd trust it for a match, but otherwise good ammo for our fun shooting.
0 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:30 am

I went back for another damp range day. Made some adjustments to my sights and wanted to check 'em again.
This time I could see the front sight clearly - a little thing that made a lot of difference.
I'm shooting a 24" Octagon barrel Henry with a Williams peep and a Merit rose colored peep in the rear. The front sight is a Lyman hood with a green fiber optic on top of the Lolly-Pop sight.
I dry swab between ammo brands (Otis pull through cleaner).
Results of the 2nd damp day at the range
AutoMatch - 2" at 50, no hits at 75, 4" at 100 yards
Aguila Super Extra - 3" at 50, no hits at 75, 3 of 5 found target at 100 yards
Wolf Match Extra - 1.5" at 50, 1.5" at 75 and about 2.5" at 100 yards
Norma Tac 22 - 1" at 50, 1" at 75, 2" at 100 yards
CCI Tac AR - 1.5 @ 50, 2" @ 75, 2.5 @ 100

New conclusion - Will save my stash of AutoMatch for the 10/22
Aguila - no thanks, three on target then two way-off target flyers
Wolf ME - Have a brick I can shoot when I run out of Tac 22
Norma Tac 22 - Match choice - felt good to chew out the center of the target at all distances.
CCI Tac AR - will use when I run out of Wolf ME, will also test it in my Kimber with a Nelson conversion kit (it currently likes Tac 22 and is by far my most accurate firearm)

The range I use is private. A guy lets you shoot at his farm, if you give him $100 a year. There are three pistol areas and one rifle area that has 25,50, 100 and 200 yard berms and a lot of cows (you have to watch where you shoot and where you step).
As I was leaving a couple of guys showed up with their black guns and a huge hog target - the animal was life size for a 150lb hog. They put the pig target at 25 yards and both started blasting away...two magazines later they went to check the hits - Nada, they hadn't hit a thing. As I was backing out I hear one say - maybe these scopes are defective (they had just come from Walmart and put the scopes on in the parking lot - "sight it - whuz that?"
Local pigs are safe for another weekend.

Michael
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 am

Blackdog wrote:Local pigs are safe for another weekend.

Michael
:lol:
0 x