Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

One mean shooting Contender

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

One mean shooting Contender

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:18 pm

Here's another gun I worked with, today. Thought I'd do a post on it, first, since it sets the stage for the last gun I'll report on from today's shooting. This one first, though.

This is a TC Contender with a round 10" barrel in 44 mag. Standard TC production barrel, nothing special or unusual about it. Since it is my offhand 44 mag shooter, it wears a TC recoil proof (RP) 1.5x scope. I prefer the vintage essentially no power scopes on my Contenders to red dots. The scopes are a finer aiming point with their crosshairs and do not rely on electronics. The wood, though is full custom and simply amazing. A friend of mine found it for me in his many TC dealings. It was used by a champion silhouette shooter. Cost a pretty penny, but it sure is pretty and comfy, too.

Imagers

I call this gun my "one mean shooter" in both a literal and figurative sense. First, the literal. Shooting a standard factory 240 grain 44 mag load in a Contender is like turbo charging it compared to shooting it in a revolver. The barrel, at 10", is longer than most conventional revolver barrels, but, more importantly, there is no velocity robbing cylinder gap. In a 10" Contender barrel in 44 mag, I can usually expect a 150-200 fps increase in velocity over the same load in a revolver. That, of course, gives me a significant jump in power, but more to the point, it also gives me a significant increase in recoil. That, and the Contender is not really that recoil friendly a platform. Bottom line, here, is that shooting a standard 44 mag factory load in this Contender is like shooting a Ruger, only, 44 mag load in a revolver. Ouch! I'm good for about 20 shots before I need to call it quits. Keep in mind, that I am no recoil wimp. I've been shooting 44 mags of all kinds all my shooting life.

So why do I bother? That where this is "one mean shooting" 44 mag in the other sense, namely accuracy. I use a standard of accuracy for my Contenders that is separate from my standard of accuracy for a revolver. Check this target, shot, today. The cluster to the right and just outside the bull was shot first. Adjustments were made to the scope and the next five were in the black. All offhand, of course. Pulled one just a touch low or I would have had a one inch class group at 50 yards, no rest. Even at 2.6", offhand, I'm in another class of accuracy than I can get with a revolver. Typical for a Contender, though.

So what do I do if I want to shoot this gun more than 20 shots? Well, there's good old 44 Specials. I don't like shooting 44 Specials in a 44 mag, but I do in this gun just to get more range time with it. 44 Specials are a walk in the park, recoil wise, in this gun.
Imageprint screen

Yup, beautiful gun. Given that I've been shooting 44 mag in revolvers nearly all my shooting life, it doesn't quite satisfy my 44 mag shooting itch. The 44 mag is, after all, a revolver cartridge. Not to worry, though, found and shot my perfect 44 mag revolver, today, too. Stay tuned.
5 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: One mean shooting Contender

Post by PT7 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:05 pm

I'd like to contend with a Contender like that one some day...sure sounds and looks like a lot of fun to shoot.
That is also "one mean grip" on this gun; "beautiful full custom and amazing wood"...agreed!
The grip sure shows some bulk to it. Can easily see why you said it was "comfy."

What can I say, except what a set up, with the proof displayed in the targets :!:
north country gal wrote: One mean shooting Contender
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Excellent shooting. They are an unusual looking firearm to this cowboy gun guy, but no doubt deadly. I'd like to try one some time.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:14 am

Nice job NCG. While I dont have any contenders anymore they are great guns. I have killed a few deer and shot a few prairie dogs with them. I have also shot some silly wet with different calibers. But now Im like RR give me a Single action cowboy six shooter.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:45 am

Thanks, folks.

Yes, Contenders really are in a world of their own compared to conventional handguns. Even the techniques used to shoot them can be different. As I mentioned, Contenders really are my go to handguns when I'm chasing every last bit of accuracy, but I still love shooting conventional handguns and when it comes to the 44 mag, that means revolvers. I have a long, long history of shooting 44 mag revolvers. I started shooting them back in the day when the prevailing notion was that no girl in her right mind would shoot a 44 magnum handgun. I did, though, learning on my own. A 44 mag Ruger Super Blackhawk was my first deer "rifle".
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:38 am

I want one in .22LR.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:27 am

Sir Henry wrote:I want one in .22LR.
Easily done. As you might expect, the 22 LR has always been an extremely popular round in the Contender. Right now, have four different pistol barrels in 22 LR and two for the rifles. Changing barrels only takes a minute or two.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:30 am

North Country Gal wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:I want one in .22LR.
Easily done. As you might expect, the 22 LR has always been an extremely popular round in the Contender. Right now, have four different pistol barrels in 22 LR and two for the rifles. Changing barrels only takes a minute or two.
In July I was in Texas and found one at a good price but the dealer didn't want to sell to me because I was out of state.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater