Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger 308 Fixed and REALLY FINE!

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Long Ranger 308 Fixed and REALLY FINE!

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:03 pm

After a bit of a rocky start, my Long Ranger and I are officially reconciled and ready to move forward together. This was my first rifle of this caliber/magnitude, so there was lots to get used to, which was made even more complicated by some mechanical gremlins in this VERY early production sample, which had been sitting as my range/shop since Q4, 2016 (right after the LR was launched).

After a handful of balky range visits and cycling issues, I decided it was time for some work; as usual, Henry Customer Service was fantastic.

The trip to Rice Lake was quick, and they basically gutted and replaced the key pieces and parts (entire bolt assembly, gear wheel (that humonguous, toothed thing that drives the bolt assembly, new magazine, smoothed the bore) and I had it back within a week or so.

Prior to me shipping it back, however, I had to strip it down, including removing the Skinner sight mounts, so I knew I'd have to re-zero the scope a bit when I got it all put back together. I was wrong. I had to re-zero the scope A LOT, even summoning my trusty smith (thinking my scope was askew), who did a mega-tweak and then said "fine tune it," so that's what I did. I few more clicks up a few more to the left...

The attached is as good as it's going to get. The date on the target is wrong, so apologies for that, but the rest is 100%. Eleven rounds fired, so, with the mag holding only 4 rounds, it involved a few complete re-loads (point being, I wasn't just sitting there like a statue, blasting away).

Very happy camper.
Attachments
Henry LR 308 Fixed, Zeroed Range Trip Oc t4 2018 003.JPG
Henry LR 308 Fixed, Zeroed Range Trip Oc t4 2018 003.JPG (118.04 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
4 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger 308 Fixed and REALLY FINE!

Post by Cofisher » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Cool. Glad you are happy. Nice shooting.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:50 pm

ESquared wrote:...my Long Ranger and I are officially reconciled and ready to move forward together.
Very happy camper.
That's great news, ESquared. Thanks for the update. I look forward to reading more of your range reports.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:04 pm

outstanding, truly outstanding
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:23 pm

Thanks, guys. It took a while, but it just turned into one of those outings where everything felt right. I'd figured out the scope/sight picture, I was happy with the bag rest set-up (after messing with it for the first couple of magazines) and, best of all, I finally figured out the sweet spot of the trigger. There's a bit of take-up, but once that's out of the way, getting a good, clean break is not difficult to duplicate.
I even remembered to breathe.
Just one of those sessions we've all had, where a certain karma settled in and all of the sudden I was aware of the feel of the checkering in the forend and I became really UNaware of the guy two lanes over, pumping 10 rounds at a time down his tacticool rifle at 30 yards.
One of those days where you can't wait to come home and clean it, just to show it some respect.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:03 pm

Good I'm glad that worked out for you. Nice shooting too. About the cleaning part not so much. At the end of the day I want to relish in the afterglow of the outing and not spoil it by cleaning. :? I'd do that tomorrow.
ESquared wrote:Thanks, guys. It took a while, but it just turned into one of those outings where everything felt right. I'd figured out the scope/sight picture, I was happy with the bag rest set-up (after messing with it for the first couple of magazines) and, best of all, I finally figured out the sweet spot of the trigger. There's a bit of take-up, but once that's out of the way, getting a good, clean break is not difficult to duplicate.
I even remembered to breathe.
Just one of those sessions we've all had, where a certain karma settled in and all of the sudden I was aware of the feel of the checkering in the forend and I became really UNaware of the guy two lanes over, pumping 10 rounds at a time down his tacticool rifle at 30 yards.
One of those days where you can't wait to come home and clean it, just to show it some respect.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Mags wrote:.
Good I'm glad that worked out for you. Nice shooting too. About the cleaning part not so much. At the end of the day I want to relish in the afterglow of the outing and not spoil it by cleaning. :? I'd do that tomorrow.
I was trained on the "Sundown Rule." Unless something really big gets in the way, clean 'em before sundown on the day you shoot 'em. No idea where that came from, but guessing the Army, as I was introduced early on (in my adult years) by an Army vet. Great guy, had been all over the world; tons of stories.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Good to hear everything ended up REALLY FINE, and that you're a beaming happy camper. And with that tight POI cluster, you had plenty of room on the target to write everything down ---- no fliers in the way of your black marker! :lol:
Great all around-recovery of your LR308 by Henry and you.

Lookin' forward to watching you do some really fine shooting later this month -- in person!
Glad we were able to get a range date set.
PT7
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:59 pm

Nice job 308 is one of my favorite rounds. Im not surprised at all of the accuracy.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:39 am

PT7 wrote: And with that tight POI cluster, you had plenty of room on the target to write everything down ---- no fliers in the way of your black marker!
I just figured getting it all written down on the target saves the back and forth that always might otherwise ensue: "how far?" "What ammo?" "What scope", etc.

Not to mention that it helps me remember! Now, if I could just get the date right... ;)
0 x