Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PT7 -- SGC and the First Autumn Shoot

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

PT7 -- SGC and the First Autumn Shoot

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:28 pm

Thought I'd head to the outdoor MDC range today to celebrate Autumn's arrival. A beautiful day with a breeze blowing from behind me as I faced the range, and 77* at the shooting booth.

To be honest, I thought Parma Woods Range would be jam-packed on such a pleasant Sunday afternoon. Oops, was I wrong! The 15-booth rifle range had only 3-4 shooters, so I stepped up to Booth #13. ;) BTW, I think why so few people were out at PW was because the KC Chiefs played this afternoon at Arrowhead Stadium. Bet that was a strong draw for many folk.

No goals planned, and only went for fun today; and it was that. Last time I shot the SGC was almost 2-1/2 months ago, so it was time to peep through that bronze receiver-mounted sight again!

Another plus was a change of noise level this visit -- about all firearms being shot on the rifle range were .22LR caliber. It was a "quiet" afternoon there. :lol: Also chatted briefly with one fellow who was shooting his Henry U.S. Survival AR-7. He carried a big grin about shooting that gun! It was a silver model, so not sure what year it was built. Cool-looking .22 rifle. Saw a third lever-action, but didn't find out what brand it was.

Well, here are my target "stories." Shot a total of 80 BPR rounds.
Glad I decided to go since there was that almost empty rifle range. Always like fun surprises. :*)
PT7
PW_Target One_2796.JPG
PW_Target One_2796.JPG (198.08 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
PW_SGC and Target Two_2794.JPG
PW_SGC and Target Two_2794.JPG (218.38 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
3 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: PT7 -- SGC and the First Autumn Shoot

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Love that you're shooting offhand, PT. It is a fun way to shoot, plus I feel more connected to the gun when I shoot without a rest. Something to be said for just picking up the gun and shooting it and the heck with a rest. :) Nice work on those targets, too. You nailed them.

Have to say that Skinner Gold looks mighty good on that SGC.
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:16 pm

Great job. Those targets look real good. I agree that off hand shooting is tons of fun. Thanks for the pics and report.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:04 am

I think that is good shooting, especially when you consider than when you hunt you're only going for one shot (to kill) rather than trying to repeat the same shot over and over on paper. A lot of people, myself included, feel like they shoot better at objects, like cans, than paper. I think it's all important, though.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:16 am

Yeah, Henry, I also "shoot better at objects, like cans, than paper." They maintain more cautious restrictions at an MDC range, and only paper targets allowed. So best to go with the flow.

Anyway, I've enjoyed popping .22 rounds at my two reactive ground targets (also when I hang 'em from a tree branch), tin cans, water bottles, hedge apples, spent 12ga shotgun shells (what a hoot!), and the like. Always more fun. And you know, it does seem like you shoot better with objects. The "one shot" approach is helpful. Thanks for your comments.
PT7

Henry88 wrote:I think that is good shooting, especially when you consider than when you hunt you're only going for one shot (to kill) rather than trying to repeat the same shot over and over on paper. A lot of people, myself included, feel like they shoot better at objects, like cans, than paper. I think it's all important, though.
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:19 am

Nice work, PT! The SGC is next up in the rotation, but need to get this cataract surgery behind me first.
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:25 am

Appreciate the thumbs up on my target POIs, RR. Whenever I see your off hand results, always would like to have mine end up in similar, smaller groups like yours.

Yup, spot on when you agreed that "off hand shooting is tons of fun." And especially for me, it is more relaxing than doing a "bench battle with a bean bag." Can never get comfortable with positioning the rifle, or myself behind it. Especially true when trying to get a good sight picture! And yet some folk, especially those that do precision-shooting competition, are so skilled and accurate using bench rests. Glad there are shooting style options out there! Positive I'll always be shooting off hand.
PT7
RanchRoper wrote:Great job. Those targets look real good. I agree that off hand shooting is tons of fun. Thanks for the pics and report.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:36 am

Even though it was over two months since I last shot the SGC, it felt so easy and natural just loading the rifle, picking it up, and standing there shooting. As you said, there is somehow the feeling of a "close connection" to the gun. Appreciate your kind words on my target POIs, SGC.

I also really like the looks of the "gold" rear sight on my SGC...thanks! Glad I had Skinner do that special order. When I got the Skinner Express for my BBS .357, I was tempted to also get a bronze one rather than the blued version. But the BBS ended up looking really cool with the blued sight. Plus the SGC stands alone with its extra "gold sparkle." :)
Take care.
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:Love that you're shooting offhand, PT. It is a fun way to shoot, plus I feel more connected to the gun when I shoot without a rest. Something to be said for just picking up the gun and shooting it and the heck with a rest. :) Nice work on those targets, too. You nailed them.

Have to say that Skinner Gold looks mighty good on that SGC.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:38 am

Looking forward to hear that the cataract surgery goes very well, ESquared.
Shooting the SGC will be a good test of the medical results! ;)
PT7
ESquared wrote:Nice work, PT! The SGC is next up in the rotation, but need to get this cataract surgery behind me first.
0 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:50 am

Oh yes definitely more fun! Here have to do it at home. State rules on public land allow only manufactured targets or user home made targets of paper. So for example if we want to shoot at plastic stuff they have to have been manufactured/sold specifically as targets.
PT7 wrote:Yeah, Henry, I also "shoot better at objects, ... tin cans, water bottles, hedge apples, spent 12ga shotgun shells (what a hoot!), and the like. Always more fun. And you know, it does seem like you shoot better with objects. ...
PT7
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234