Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.357 Magnum - Revolver VS 1911

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: .357 Magnum - Revolver VS 1911

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:58 pm

I'm a wheelgun person to the point I even miss the old TV shows and movies where the good guys/gals and bad guys/gals carried revolvers, instead of semi autos. Shows how old I am, I guess.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 pm

For years I have gone back and forth between the two. Ive tried every kind of tupperware gun that I can think of and not really cared for any of the major brands. I do have Shield in 45 acp that I like real well and carry all the time. But none of the other M&P models live at my house. Im not saying any of those guns I dont care for arent good guns becasue they are in the hands of the people who like them. Just not mine. 1911's are top shelf at my house followed closely by a CZ75b and a CZ P09 when it comes to auto loaders. But revolvers are like fine whiskey and the older I get there even finer. Why? Because I reload. Chasin brass all over the prairie is just a nuisance at times. I need to be in the right mood I guess. Not to mention Im just a better shot with a revolver. It is getting a little easier though because prices of 9mm ammo are where you just about cant spend the time reloading it for what you can buy it for. Same goes for the 40 for you 40 lovers out there if there is any. The ammo and the guns for that matter are reasonable. Just my .02 worth. YMMV
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:00 am

BigAl52 wrote:Chasin brass all over the prairie is just a nuisance at times.

ain't that the truth .. :D
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:59 am

Good point on the cost of 9mm ammo. I know a lot of shooters who do reload, but don't bother doing so for the 9mm. Don't forget, though, there are revolver options for shooting the 9mm, too. Here's mine.

Holds 8, with the moon clips, almost as fast and easy to feed as a semi auto, but, unlike a semi auto, totally reliable with any factory ammo, even the cheap aluminum case stuff. Needless to say, accurate, too.
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:09 am

Great read, thanks PT! While my SP101 357 is not an EDC, I will trust it forever. I remember you having one also. I have more rounds through it then all the semi autos I have ever fired.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:59 pm

North Country Gal wrote:Good point on the cost of 9mm ammo. I know a lot of shooters who do reload, but don't bother doing so for the 9mm. Don't forget, though, there are revolver options for shooting the 9mm, too. Here's mine.

Holds 8, with the moon clips, almost as fast and easy to feed as a semi auto, but, unlike a semi auto, totally reliable with any factory ammo, even the cheap aluminum case stuff. Needless to say, accurate, too.
NCG
Wait a minute. I could of sworn you told me you didnt like those guns because of the cylinder. I have one of those guns and I love it. Its a great shooting Smith and I would buy one again tomorrow if I didnt have the one I have. I own both of Jerrys guns and they are both shooters.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:08 pm

You're welcome, Cofisher. Yup, agreed that the SP101 is a solid and "trustworthy" handgun. And it would be a heavy-duty weight in the belt holster as an EDC. I did sometimes carry my 4.2" SP101 kit gun in a shoulder rig....but it's definitely like carrying a steel tank!

If I were to ever get another Ruger .357 revolver, it would be this "plain Jane" snubby model. Always wanted one of these.
Ruger GP100 3-inch Model 1715.jpg
Ruger GP100 3-inch Model 1715.jpg (18.96 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
Black grip on stainless steel frame is one of my favorite color combos. This one has a six round cylinder capacity, and now Ruger is even building the GP100 with a seven-round capacity. That's about equivalent to a single-stack magazine. They keep on keeping on with always new revolver configs! Again, as far as the article points out, revolvers are definitely the best for me.

PT7
Cofisher wrote:Great read, thanks PT! While my SP101 357 is not an EDC, I will trust it forever. I remember you having one also. I have more rounds through it then all the semi autos I have ever fired.
1 x

~Пока~