Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

relaxing with the Low Walls

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

relaxing with the Low Walls

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Those of you who have read my posts know that Bill and I love shooting out Winchester/Miroku Low Wall 1885 single shots, especially our Hunter versions. The original classic single shots like the Sharps, the 1885, the Rolling Block and others were heavy guns and so are many of the current reproductions of those guns. However, as the label indicates, the Winchester/Miroku Hunter versions are made for hunting and while no lightweight carbine at 7.5 pounds, the Hunters are significantly lighter than the standard versions, thanks to their slim tapered octagonal barrels. What I love most about them, though, is their great handling and balance. The Hunter Low Walls really are guns that can be carried out in the woods all day. Best of all, for offhand shooting, they fit me like a glove.

Today we took three of our Hunters, the 22 LR, the 17 HMR and the 223 out for some relaxing shooting. No great goals or things to check or to test. Nope, just shoot these fine guns for the sake of shooting them, smiling all the while. Here's the 22 LR Hunter. The 17 HMR Hunter and our 22 mag Hunter are absolutely identical, right down to the weight of the trigger pull. The 223 Hunter differs in a few minor details, but is essentially the same gun in centerfire.

Scope is the excellent Nikon Prostaff 3-9x EFR

Action open. Shows why these are called falling block actions. Insert shell. Close the lever. Shoot.

The amazing quality and control and consistency of these Miroku made guns carries right over to how they shoot. Again, the 22 LR Hunter. Shot the bottom group from the rest, then remained seated, picked up the rifle off the rest and shot it, unsupported. Let's just call it half standing position. :)

Repeat with the 17 HMR, then repeat with the 223. Same hold, same triggers, same classic single shot experience, same relaxing fun.
5 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: relaxing with the Low Walls

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:18 pm

50 yds mighty fine results! Gorgeous rifles!
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Sweet! I really want a low wall single shot. Nice target work.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:42 pm

Thank you NCG for the preview of Cowboy single shot heaven!

I'm working on trading in my 223 700 ADL for a Long Ranger in 556 NATO.

Your Low Wall range reports make me want to trade my Bmag in for a 17wsm Low Wall.
0 x
Pax at Justitia

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:04 am

Of course, the target POIs look as excellent as ever, NCG. Love that wood on your Low Wall, too. ;)
But I'd say a hearty "great way to go" for how you and Bill spent your range time.

Nothing better than a good time of having pure fun! :)
PT7
North Country Gal wrote:….some relaxing shooting. No great goals or things to check or to test. Nope, just shoot these fine guns for the sake of shooting them, smiling all the while....
0 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks, guys. Glad you enjoyed the post and maybe you got a chance to relax, too. Relaxing really is a good way to describe shooting these classic single shots. On the 1885 or Ruger No 1 and so on, the gun cocks on opening. Just insert cartridge and close and you're ready to shoot. You can really get into a sweet rhythm shooting these rifles. Much prefer to shoot these single shots to shooting a bolt gun in single shot mode. Even nicer than shooting a break barrel single shot like my Contenders.

Another feature I like on the rimfire versions of these Hunters is that they eject the empties for you. They even have a deflector that you can set to eject empties to the right or to the left. This is a big plus when shooting rimfire ammo. No need to fight removing the tiny empty rimfire brass and you're not saving rimfire brass, anyway.

Our 223 version simply extracts the empty for easy removal in case you want to save brass. If not, just tilt the gun up when opening the action and the brass slides out on its own. Ruger No 1s will eject brass for you, but you can also adjust the ejector spring so that it only extracts the brass far enough so that you can grab it in case you are saving the brass.

Lastly, all these Hunter style 1885s are designed to be used for a scope. No provision for either a tang or receiver peep. The Rimfire Hunters do come with open sights, but the centerfire versions like our 223 have no sights at all. In other words, be sure to order scope mounts if you get one of these.

If you do want to shoot iron, not to worry. Other versions of these 1885s do offer away to mount a peep. For instance, here's our Low Wall Classic in 22 LR with a Marble's tang peep and a Lyman globe. Much heavier gun, though, than the Hunters.
Last edited by North Country Gal on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:59 am

Ojaileveraction wrote:Thank you NCG for the preview of Cowboy single shot heaven!

I'm working on trading in my 223 700 ADL for a Long Ranger in 556 NATO.

Your Low Wall range reports make me want to trade my Bmag in for a 17wsm Low Wall.
The 17 WSM is the only one we haven't added to our collection. Have heard reports on this version of the 1885 of erratic accuracy and since the selection of 17 WSM ammo is very limited, I didn't want to take a chance. Might want to do some research before plunking down the big bucks for one in 17 WSM.

On the other hand, our 22 Mag 1885 Low Wall is amazing. Most accurate 22 mag I've ever owned. Didn't shoot that one, yesterday, so it's up next for some shooting. As for our 17 HMR Low Wall, it shoots right there with our CZs.
0 x

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Beautiful gun and great shooting as always NCG.

Funny, but I don't recognize the insignia on the scope cap?
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:25 pm

It's a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x EFR Target. Great scope.
1 x

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:20 pm

North Country Gal wrote:[

The 17 WSM is the only one we haven't added to our collection. Have heard reports on this version of the 1885 of erratic accuracy and since the selection of 17 WSM ammo is very limited, I didn't want to take a chance. Might want to do some research before plunking down the big bucks for one in 17 WSM.
I am aware of the "erratic accuracv" reports concerning the 17 Winchester Supper Mag, in the 1885 and other rifles.
With the accuracy I've gotten out of my Bmag I take the chance and then I'd start buying ammo to add to the 3 bricks I have now.
The 17wsm got me back into shooting but the Bmag doesn't fit into the lever action fervor I've been experiencing these last few years.
The 1885 certainly does that.
0 x
Pax at Justitia