Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

SCOPES: Full Magnification VS Lowest

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
henry22
Cowhand
Canada

Post by henry22 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:57 pm

I posted this yesterday in scopes, but it probably got lost in the mix because it's a sub-topic.

I have a Leupold Freedom 3-9X40 on an H001M - amazing little scope, and I love for its clarity, and accuracy, I use it on full mag power at 50 yards. I originally had a Vortex Diamondback 4-12X40 on the H001M, but it never seemed to hold zero. I sent it to Vortex under warranty, and they agreed it was defective. They purged the argon gas, fix whatever etc. I Got it back, but had nothing to mount it on.

So I purchased an H001T (Octagon barrel) in .22LR. Fun little rifle, cheaper ammo etc. But when I'm dialed in at full magnification (12X) I find I'm sometimes off target, but sometimes on. It's hit and miss. However, on Sunday after shooting about 200 rounds, out of frustration, I dialed the scope down to 4 power, just to see what it looked like.

The 1" to .75" potatoes that were spiked on my target board looking puny in the reticle, but when I aimed and fire, I hit every single potato on top of the board consecutively, which has never happened with this scope. The Leupold will do that all day on full 9X mag with the H001M.

QUESTIONS please if anyone can answer:

1: Why would the Diamondback be so inaccurate on full magnification, and extremely accurate at the lowest magnification?
What's causing that hit and miss deal when I'm dialed up in magnification, yet when I'm dialed down to 4-6 power, it's bang on
(Knowing that I was absolutely dead still and the rifle was well rested tells me it wasn't me or my shooting ability)

Is that a parallax issue because the scope has variable power? Or is it a flaw in the reticle/mechanics of the DB - crappy scope?

Please explain if you can. Thanks
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: SCOPES: Full Magnification VS Lowest

Post by Mags » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 pm

henry22 wrote:... I posted this yesterday in scopes, but it probably got lost in the mix because it's a sub-topic.
You got 3 responses so far to your original post, starting with 220, NCG and Lyman.
http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... =80#p70174
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:39 am

yeah henry22, better to start a new thread if you want responses rather than appending to an old thread on a different subject.

But I have experienced the same thing. I get my best results by dialing it up only as much as I need the resolution to see the target. LIke NCG said, after that it doesn't seem to help and may actually hurt your results. It may have something to do with the way our brain processes information.

You may also be onto something with the parallax. All my .22 scopes have AO save the Simmons 4x I occasionally stick on the H001, and I think it's parallax is set to 30-50 yds.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Correct on the parallax. It does become more of an issue as magnification increases. That's why high mag target scopes all have parallax adjustments. However, you can greatly minimize any issues with parallax by being very careful to get the same eye position behind the eyepiece, shot after shot. A target stock, as per target bolt guns and target single shots is a big help in maintaining that consistent eye position. Bit harder to do on a sporter stock and, especially a lever gun stock. Still, it's good form to develop a consistent hold on the stock, regardless of what gun you are shooting. Give it a try and see if it helps.
5 x

rwortman
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by rwortman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:12 pm

If you think parallax is the issue back away from the scope until you no longer have a full field of view and center that vignetted view in the scope. That will make sure you are looking on the optical axis.
0 x