Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Nelson .22 conversion for 1911

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Nelson .22 conversion for 1911

Post by Blackdog » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:12 pm

I went to the indoor range today. Took my Kimber with a Nelson .22 conversion kit with a Bushnell red-dot sight.
The last time out I discovered that it likes Norma Tac22 ammo. This time I tried CCI Standard Vel, SK Flat Nose, and Wolf Match Extra.

With the Kimber set up this way - from a rest- it will shoot 10 shots into a ragged hole at 25 yards. With me shooting slow fire, offhand the groups opens up to about 4". As I was shooting at the indoor range I shot standing, two handed, slowly, resting between shots. Five shots to fowl the barrel when I changed ammo, then a new target for testing.

CCI SV - Largest of the groups at 25 yards. Maybe 10", 3 inches high of center.
SK Flat Nose - A bit better. 6" group at 25 yards. Two fail to Eject...dirty chamber I suspect. Odd "hollow" sound.
Wolf Match Extra (now renamed SK Match). Shot the best, but the number of FTEs increased. Shot a 2" group at 25 yards.
All were high of center.

The Nelson has a match chamber and I usually run the rails a bit wet. A good cleaning this weekend will put it back in order.

I'll stick to Norma Tac22 when shooting the Nelson kit. It doesn't like high velocity ammo, even with the heavy spring in place.

Its a paper puncher and maybe a small-game gun - I'd have to use shooting sticks to steady it if I hunted with it.

For a senior shooter its a lot of fun, more accurate than I can hold and I really like the Bushnell red-dot.

Fun day at the indoor range.

Michael
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Nelson .22 conversion for 1911

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:41 am

Most of my handguns wear red dots and some wear scopes, too. The only ones that still wear iron sights are the vintage guns that I would have to modify to mount a red dot or scope and that would destroy their value. Only shoot the vintage stuff on a once in awhile basis, anyway. My day in and day out shooters all wear optics of some sort, now. The optics give me consistent sharpness, no matter what kind of day my eyes are having.

Anyway, good for you. It does sound like a fun day with the Kimber.
0 x