Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Russian -- 1st time shooting Choice Ammo

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

Russian -- 1st time shooting Choice Ammo

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:36 pm

70* temp was mild and the rain held off nicely today at my friend's outdoor range up north of KCMO (they call their homestead Poverty Knob). When I left, the southwest sky here was pretty boisterous and black with lightning flashes. Decided to chance it, and the shooting time was good.

First time out (finally!) with the new and correct ammo for my .45LC revolver. Both the Russian and I were ready to test it out.

~~~Ammo used was Choice .45 Colt 250 gr. RNFP Cowboy Action. (Uberti recommends ammo under 870 FPS. Choice moves the 250gr bullet along at 820 FPS).
~~~Standing, off hand, shot one-handed.
~~~Target was a 7" orange target.
~~~Distance was set at 9 yards.

Shot three 5-round groups; 14/15 POIs in the orange. Russian is spot on with its fixed sights, ammo is accurate, and shooter came alongside and did OK. I particularly liked the three POIs coming across the bull X! No excuse for the one right/high flier other than the shooter. :oops:
Russian at PK3_2669.JPG
Russian at PK3_2669.JPG (172.16 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
That's all the paper targets I used today. I had bought a new reactive ground target, hopefully to chase around the range grounds in prep for rabbit hunting this coming winter. It's a Galen 4.5" round target designed to handle calibers from .22LR to .45LC. The .45LC does pound it pretty solidly. Started out shooting at about 10 yards. I was pleased that I did get to "chase" this target around. A couple of my hits sent it rolling close to a dozen yards! Whenever I missed, it was really easy to see how close those misses were as the bullet churned up the grass. Unlike steel, a quiet target. Next time I get outside shooting, I'll hang this target by a rope from a low tree branch --- should be much fun to shoot at a moving target.

Here are two different angles showing some hits on this reactive target. It was brand new, first time used today. A friend was there and also shot it with a .22LR revolver. Those "tiny" hits are easy to see compared to the .45LC size.
Russian at PK1_2667.JPG
Russian at PK1_2667.JPG (190.75 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
Russian at PK2_2668.JPG
Russian at PK2_2668.JPG (170.23 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
The rest of the range visit I spent shooting at two steel targets at distances of 12-15 yards. (Sorry, didn't have my camera with me). Nice to see the black steel swing and hear the clangs after a .45LC hit. I enjoy this a lot. But I must admit that the ground reactive target was also a blast to shoot at. :)

A reminder of what the Russian revolver looks like. Already posted this photo in another thread, but it is a favorite "show-off" photo of mine! :D Thanks for looking.
PT7
DSCN2543.JPG
DSCN2543.JPG (209.33 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
2 x

~Пока~

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Russian -- 1st time shooting Choice Ammo

Post by Mags » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Bet chasing that ball around was a lot of fun! Looks pretty good on the target too.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Nicely done, PT. Love that you shot such a nice group one-handed. Very cool. I think with that Russian and you're fondness for the 45 Colt, you're becoming the Russian Ranch Roper. :) That is such a distinctive and classy looking revolver, though. I would have a very hard time passing one up if I found one, locally. At the very least, I have to get a 45 Colt revolver of some kind added to the collection. Not having a 45 Colt revolver is a serious deficiency for a revolver fan like me. In the meantime, keep up the great shooting and doing these wonderful posts. Love them.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:49 pm

Appreciate that, NCG. But I'd say NOT to a Russian Ranch Roper. The Russian revolver was primarily used by Russian calvarymen during WWI. I've never even ridden a horse!! :lol:

I hear what you said about you owning a .45 Colt revolver. That is kind of a surprise considering the number of revolvers you own.

Yesterday when I was at the nearby LGS and bought my holster for the Russian, the counter rep said he wanted to show me something. (I've done gun purchases there before....always am at the revolver display cases!). Well, he brought me to the revolver case and there was an identical Russian to mine --- EXCEPT it was stainless steel with white pearl grips! Although I love and prefer the wood grips and CCH/blued finish on mine, still it was a very sharp-looking revolver. If I had the $$ (many of them), a pair of Russian top breaks in my gun cabinet would be something else! I did notice that the price tag on the stainless model is much higher than mine was. I'd bet I could find one less than the $1300 listed on that gun! Sigh. Still wish I hadn't seen/handled it. It was very nice. I'd bet it would look good in your revolver collection!

I forgot to mention one thing in above Range Report. For another "type of practice," I used my new holster today. Sure was quite handy as I moved around the range, changed targets, "chased" the reactive target, and so on. I don't think I could have found a local holster as good as this one has turned out to be. Just need to finish it with a leg tie string, and will be set for hiking the winter woods! Sure do hope we can scare up some rabbits this next season.

How fun it is to enjoy wheel guns so much :!: :D :!:
Take good care,
PT7

North Country Gal wrote:Nicely done, PT. Love that you shot such a nice group one-handed. Very cool. I think with that Russian and you're fondness for the 45 Colt, you're becoming the Russian Ranch Roper. :) That is such a distinctive and classy looking revolver, though. I would have a very hard time passing one up if I found one, locally. At the very least, I have to get a 45 Colt revolver of some kind added to the collection. Not having a 45 Colt revolver is a serious deficiency for a revolver fan like me. In the meantime, keep up the great shooting and doing these wonderful posts. Love them.
0 x

~Пока~

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:06 pm

Nice shooting all around! Those round/on the ground targets look like a boatload of fun. Beautiful revolver!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Henry88
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Henry88 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:49 am

Emergency
Everybody to run from street.................
Attachments
0120ce9ee09f1e39f2d65666d97a55d7.jpg
0120ce9ee09f1e39f2d65666d97a55d7.jpg (16.14 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:38 am

Well done. I'd be happy with that target. Sure is a beautiful sidearm.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:50 am

nicely done, really enjoyed your report .... one of our son's has a reactive ground target that we enjoy bouncing around the range .... doing with with our Henry 357 Mag is fun .... with our Henry 44 Mag we drop back to 50 +/- yards ... when hit with a 44, it most certainly moves on down the range .. :D
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:29 am

Да! (Yes!). Cool connect.
However, I'd bet the sidearm they carried on the sub was not an 1874 Russian top break revolver! ;)
Henry88 wrote:Emergency
Everybody to run from street.................
0 x

~Пока~

TNman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by TNman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:11 pm

Excellent shooting with a beautiful revolver!
1 x