Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shot the BB Brass this morning.

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Shot the BB Brass this morning.

Post by Rifletom » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:42 pm

Finally able to get to the range and shoot BBB .357. This rifle is pretty darn accurate right off. 38 spl's fed and shot fine, but, the .357's, factory[for now] American Eagle shot superb. I was rather happy with those and the 38's really at 50 yards. My set up wasn't the best, I'm sure. Take care of that next time out. The front bead fills the "U" notch too much for my eyes. ESquared, what is that sight you're using on your BBS .357 at the indoor range? Something like that may help my sight picture. Impressed to say the least with the Henry. Next time I shoot it, I'll have a better bench set-up.
5 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Shot the BB Brass this morning.

Post by ESquared » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:56 pm

My first step was to get a Skinner LoPro, which was great for me out to 50 yds, provided that the lighting is decent. I've done all my shooting at an indoor range, which is great because it's 50 yards and weather is never a factor, but the lighting leave much to be desired.
I also put on a Lyman globe sight and bought some Shaver inserts and that Lyman Globe/Skinner LoPro is really very good. I experienced the same thing as you did, where the brass bead just covers everything up once you get much past 25 yds.
Now that I'm wanting to move to 75 yds+, I've put the Leupold VX Freedom 1.5-4X20 on it, and 50 yds is a breeze. Next stop is an outdoor range to see how we do at 75 and 100 yds.
Lots of choices, just depends on what you want to accomplish (hunting, target, plinking, etc.). It's all fun!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Plinking and casual target 50-75 yards max. I too, had thought of the Leupold Freedom 1.5-4x20, but, I won't be using this for hunting. I believe I'm going to order a Skinner rear sight that adjusts. Those look nice and shooters seem to really like them. To add; zero felt recoil in these two chamberings. What a pleasure to shoot. Have my eyes on a BBS in .45 Colt also.
Thanks E for the info. Appreciated.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:58 am

I'd like to share my suggestion on a Skinner receiver-mounted sight. I've had very good results from the one I got. I installed the Skinner Express. Check out the Forum chat about this peep sight in my thread, http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... ess#p69216 My install turned out pretty well. And also there are a lot of other Forum chats about the Skinner peeps being used on Henrys. It is well-worth the search for those chats!

Glad to read that you've found your BBB .357 to be "pretty darn accurate right off." Henry has made a very good rifle in this model/caliber. Sure do like my BBS .357 Carbine! Be safe, and enjoy yours. :D
Rifletom wrote:Plinking and casual target 50-75 yards max. I too, had thought of the Leupold Freedom 1.5-4x20, but, I won't be using this for hunting. I believe I'm going to order a Skinner rear sight that adjusts. Those look nice and shooters seem to really like them. To add; zero felt recoil in these two chamberings. What a pleasure to shoot. Have my eyes on a BBS in .45 Colt also.
Thanks E for the info. Appreciated.
Last edited by PT7 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

~Пока~

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:45 pm

PT7, I went to the thread link you posted, but, it went to a John McCain thread. But, yes, I'm leaning with the Express for my rifle. I no longer hunt, other than upland birds, so if that Skinner sight gets me on paper or hits empty cans at 50+ yards, I'm good. They look nice. Thanks.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:50 pm

Sorry about that, Tom. Tripping fingers on the mouse. I fixed the link.

BTW, I know it won't be any problem at all putting those POIs on target at 50 yards with the Express sight.
PT7
Rifletom wrote:PT7, I went to the thread link you posted, but, it went to a John McCain thread. But, yes, I'm leaning with the Express for my rifle. I no longer hunt, other than upland birds, so if that Skinner sight gets me on paper or hits empty cans at 50+ yards, I'm good. They look nice. Thanks.
1 x

~Пока~

Rifletom
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by Rifletom » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Awesome! Thanks PT7. The rifle shoots well enough, can't wait to put the Express on. Can only help.
0 x