Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.45-70 H010CC sighting problem

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Re: .45-70 H010CC sighting problem

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Do you have more information on the Williams sight you mentioned ?
I have three of the standard Williams 94/36s on three of my rifles and a Williams 336 (intended for the Marlin) on my Henry.
I reversed the windage slide on it so I could mount it in reverse so it would not hang off the rear of the receiver.
Unfortunately Williams does NOT make a sight specific for the Henry (their online catalog lists one for it but it was never put into production - Hmm...) but this is a very satisfactory - and inexpensive way to get a receiver peep sight on it.
The bottom pic is the standard 94/36 on one of my Winchesters.
IMG_0954[1].JPG
IMG_0954[1].JPG (65.34 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0934.JPG (81.54 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
1 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Frustrated over sighting issues

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks a lot ESquared. I appreciate the input and the web link to Patrick. I have already sent him a message. Hopefully he will get it tomorrow. You know , I am not expecting the .45-70 to be a match rifle that drives tacks. I just expect better performance out of the sights. Like you , Mistered , Mags and GFK have all commented that there is a reason there are so many after market sights out there. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:39 pm

My experience similar to GFK. My Henry was shooting high when I first used it. Windage was zero. I lowered the rear site one notch, then one more, then backed up and raised it one. Got my first varmint kill with that setting at about 60-70 yrds. Thing is I kinda considered that a lucky shot kill. I couldn't get my eyes to focus on the rear, front sites and the target all at once. I had to keep changing my focus from near-sight to far-sight to make sure I had everything lined up. Big part of why I decided to go the scope route. Not the rifle sights fault, just my old eyes.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks, in your opinion how do they compare to say the Skinner peeps ?
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:59 pm

I understand what your saying Mags. My gripe is that on a sandbagged bench at 50 yards and me my dad and son shooting the results were all the same. My dad was an expert marksman in the military who has shot countless thousands of rounds in competition and for pleasure. My sixteen year old son has excellent shooting abilities and lots of experience for his young years. We have sighted in more guns than I can count with every sight configuration you could imagine. See my previous posts here about the problems. Having to hold the front sight at the top of target with a fully elevated back sight blocking all view of said target to get a center hit is ridiculous at 50 yards !!
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:02 pm

The Skinner is no doubt high quality and well made. I have never used one, but have seen one and they look very nice and well-finished but I do not care for the elevation adjustment.
The Williams is made out of aluminum but it well made and finished also but it is more of a 'utilitarian' design.
The nice thing about the Williams is depending on the model there are up to three grades of it for the same gun. There is a very basic style with set screws to secure the sliding windage and elevation blades, a click stop screw style up to a 'thumb knob' style for quick adjustments.
1 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Mistered wrote:
The Skinner is no doubt high quality and well made. I have never used one, but have seen one and they look very nice and well-finished but I do not care for the elevation adjustment.
The Williams is made out of aluminum but it well made and finished also but it is more of a 'utilitarian' design.
The nice thing about the Williams is depending on the model there are up to three grades of it for the same gun. There is a very basic style with set screws to secure the sliding windage and elevation blades, a click stop screw style up to a 'thumb knob' style for quick adjustments.
Did you change out your front sight as well ? Also did you happen to see my post in reply to your question about the front sight height? Would like to hear your thoughts on that as well. It's back up in the posts a bit. Thank you.
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:33 pm

Did you change out your front sight as well ?
Yes. Knowing the Williams was going to set higher on the receiver I knew I would need a taller front so I took the blade front off of one of my Winchesters that was a .490 height and put it on the Henry. Turns out this was just right and at 50 yards with a 6 O'Clock hold I am dead on with the elevation on the Williams at about the halfway mark.
As it worked out I put the one off the Henry back on the Winchester as the height is not so critical with the 94/36 sight due to the greater range of elevation adjustment and like the Henry this worked out well also.
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on point of view) I seem to shoot the Henry better with the squared off blade style front as it gives me a 'flat' surface to set the target on. The bead being rounded takes me a bit more time to settle in before touching off but I can work with it as well.
If you look at the pic of the Winchester you can see the sight is only a 1/4 of its elevation adjustment up and this again is at 50 yards with a 6' O'clock hold so I have plenty of adjustment if needed!
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Re: Frustrated over sighting issues

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:11 pm

I know lots on this forum swear by their Skinner sights on their Henry rifles, maybe check it out (or maybe you have already and i missed it in a thread).
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 am

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:
GFK wrote:
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:I fipped my insert as well but had little perceived effect. My Dad and son also shot multiple times as I thought maybe it was just my sight pattern. They consistently had the same results. I don't like to sound like a whiner or complainer but I've had several $100 dollar .22's that required very little if any adjustment right out of the box to shoot dead on. I just believe a gun of this quality from a reputable company should be held to a higher standard. Also, I would say the vast majority of shooters when shooting iron sights with a front bead and rear notch are going to settle the bead in the notch with either a six o'clock or possibly center hold. Seeing the front sight for me was not an issue as the big brass bead was quite clear. A better test firing protocol at the factory before the gun is sent out might eliminate some issues. I'll say it again , after spending a grand , I expected better when I've had much better results from $ 100 rifles.
I thought something similar. When I shot my Marlin 336W using open sights, I did not make any adjustments. It was pretty centered at 50 yards. I was hitting to the left some. But, I think that was more me and the trigger pull than the sight alignment. That is what prompt me to contact Henry. I expected a rifle that I paid $200 more for to shoot as well or better out the box. But, that was not the case. I will admit, I do not shoot as far to the left with it. I think it is due to a smoother trigger pull. So, that is a plus. But, a smoother trigger pull is not effective if a bullet is not on target.
That's exactly how I feel, GFK. I know buckhorn sights maybe a bit fickle but I have used them on a number of rifles with certainly respectable results. The left /right correction on my rifle was quite minimal and easily corrected. But this elevation issue is something else. I don't have a problem with raising the front bead up farther in the buckhorn to achieve the result but when the rear ramp is fully elevated and you have to hold at the very top of the target essentially blocking it from view, well that's not acceptable for me. Not at 50 yards.
Yes, I agree. From what I understand, Henry moved from a Ghost Ring setup to a Buckhorn setup due to shooters' not able to obtain a reliable sight picture. Who knows, it may shift to another type of sighting system if enough shooters express their concerns.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).