Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.45-70 H010CC sighting problem

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: .45-70 H010CC sighting problem

Post by ESquared » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:17 am

patrick@henryusa.com

He'll fix it with a new sight.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:24 pm

I fipped my insert as well but had little perceived effect. My Dad and son also shot multiple times as I thought maybe it was just my sight pattern. They consistently had the same results. I don't like to sound like a whiner or complainer but I've had several $100 dollar .22's that required very little if any adjustment right out of the box to shoot dead on. I just believe a gun of this quality from a reputable company should be held to a higher standard. Also, I would say the vast majority of shooters when shooting iron sights with a front bead and rear notch are going to settle the bead in the notch with either a six o'clock or possibly center hold. Seeing the front sight for me was not an issue as the big brass bead was quite clear. A better test firing protocol at the factory before the gun is sent out might eliminate some issues. I'll say it again , after spending a grand , I expected better when I've had much better results from $ 100 rifles.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:29 pm

ESquared wrote:patrick@henryusa.com

He'll fix it with a new sight.
Thanks for the link. I will be contacting him for sure.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:34 pm

Mistered wrote:
but to have the elevator raised to the max to get shots on the paper at 50 yards seems extreme to me.
It is no doubt and if Henry can let a rifle leave the factory with shorted rifling at the muzzle (referencing another members post) then it's understandable a sight taller than others found it's way onto your barrel.
Heck I have swapped so many sights from one rifle to another I don't remember which went with which.
If you have an opportunity please measure your current front sight from the barrel to the top and post it. I'd like to know how tall it is.
Also one more thing - you will never recognize (or experience optimal accuracy) with the stock Henry rear sight. The blade is too thin to get a clear view of the front through it and even the deeper notch on it is too shallow and small (I enlarged mine on day one of ownership).
You really need to consider a better rear sight such as a receiver style to attain a better sight picture and accuracy.
Mistered, I measured the front sight height. From flush on top of the barrel to top of sight it measures .468. I have seen many posts since joining the forum a short time ago concerning the sights on the Henry's. It seems many folks don't get the service out of the factory sight set ups and install varying types of after market sights. I can see why now. My question is why that is from a company that obviously strives to produce quality firearms and who seem to really put customer satisfaction at the forefront? Surely they have the capability of producing at least adequate if not a very fine line of varying types of open sights. I know I'm beating a dead horse here and risk sounding redundant but if I can take a cheap rifle with a simple post and bead front sight and a simple grooved back sight from the factory whatever make or brand and have it perform very well without altering or replacing the factory set up then why can't Henry rifles be expected to be as well. Especially when the quality and detail of the firearms they make are of a high standard. This seems like a obvious oversight on a very important basic part of the gun. Has anyone out there been able to talk to the folks at Henry and have they addressed this problem?
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Frustrated over sighting issues

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:52 pm

I'm having issues with my .45-70. Just picked up from the dealer and got to shoot it for the first time yesterday. The results were unacceptable for me. If any of you would take the time to read my post and the replies from yesterday Saturday, August the 18th that is posted on Range Reports it would be very much appreciated. You can get the idea of what I'm referring to. Anybody willing can throw their two cents worth in either on this or the other post Re: .45-70 H010CC sighting problem. Thanks in advance.
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Frustrated over sighting issues

Post by ESquared » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:19 pm

You have a very specific, legitimate issue with a specific Henry rifle, and you also raise an overarching question of "why does this seem to happening to so many others in addition to me?".

The membership here, with many more years of experience, will have to chime in on whether the "front sight issue" is an old or relatively new issue.

That said, I don't believe that I'm unique in finding that the buckhorn rear/bead post front has severe limitations. There's a reason that "Sights and Scopes" has its own sub-forum here, isn't there? But, the standard set-up is also a nod to the heritage and history of the "old west" tradition of Henrys, and there are many shooters who get along just fine with that set-up. I just know I'm not one of them. It sounds like you COULD be, if you could get your front sight sorted out.

Right now, you're on the best and probably only path that will get you any satisfaction and that's to get a nice, straightforward email off to Patrick Hall and express your experiences and feelings about the situation. You're a good writer, so it will go just fine, and Patrick will take care of you. Just don't beat him up too badly, as he's the key to your ongoing satisfaction, not the source of the problem.

And, if all else fails, don't be afraid to escalate to Anthony Imperato himself. I've struck up a bit of an email relationship with him as well, and he's 100% committed to making guys like you happy, believe me.

It WILL all work out, and I DO understand your frustration.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:33 pm

It's not unusual for any manufacturer of rifles to 'scrimp' on the sights and Henry has followed suit.
I suspect they MIGHT have done some research in this area and discovered most 'serious' shooters are going to change sights to meet their own needs.
If you read the amount of posts from people who talk about putting scopes, red dots, Skinner's etc. on their rifles there is rarely someone mentioning doing so because of their dislike for the performance of the standard sights - they are doing it to improve their sight picture for a better shooting experience.
Standard buckhorns are difficult to master and add the relatively poor quality of the stock Henry rear sight and most are going to either find something different OR gravitate to a sight system they are already familiar with - such as I did with the William's receiver sight of which I have several already.
Even quality buckhorns are difficult to get used to but I have defiantly owned and used some dramatically better than the one on the Henry. The small, thin blade is probably the wort part of it. It is difficult to adjust as it is not in a very accurately cut groove and does not slide smoothly up or down.
The bottom line is if you plan on shooting your Henry to any degree other than very informally you will need to find a sight system that fits you and your typical shooting style, E. G. hunting, target, offhand etc. The number of aftermarket sight manufacturers should support what I have said.
Last edited by Mistered on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:39 pm

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:I fipped my insert as well but had little perceived effect. My Dad and son also shot multiple times as I thought maybe it was just my sight pattern. They consistently had the same results. I don't like to sound like a whiner or complainer but I've had several $100 dollar .22's that required very little if any adjustment right out of the box to shoot dead on. I just believe a gun of this quality from a reputable company should be held to a higher standard. Also, I would say the vast majority of shooters when shooting iron sights with a front bead and rear notch are going to settle the bead in the notch with either a six o'clock or possibly center hold. Seeing the front sight for me was not an issue as the big brass bead was quite clear. A better test firing protocol at the factory before the gun is sent out might eliminate some issues. I'll say it again , after spending a grand , I expected better when I've had much better results from $ 100 rifles.
I thought something similar. When I shot my Marlin 336W using open sights, I did not make any adjustments. It was pretty centered at 50 yards. I was hitting to the left some. But, I think that was more me and the trigger pull than the sight alignment. That is what prompt me to contact Henry. I expected a rifle that I paid $200 more for to shoot as well or better out the box. But, that was not the case. I will admit, I do not shoot as far to the left with it. I think it is due to a smoother trigger pull. So, that is a plus. But, a smoother trigger pull is not effective if a bullet is not on target.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Mistered wrote:It's not unusual for any manufacturer of rifles to 'scrimp' on the sights and Henry has followed suit.
I suspect they MIGHT have done some research in this area and discovered most 'serious' shooters are going to change sights to meet their own needs.
If you read the amount of posts from people who talk about putting scopes, red dots, Skinner's etc. on their rifles there is rarely someone mentioning doing so because of their dislike for the performance of the standard sights - they are doing it to improve their sight picture for a better shooting experience.
Standard buckhorns are difficult to master and add the relatively poor quality of the stock Henry rear sight and most are going to either find something different OR gravitate to a sight system they are already familiar with - such as I did with the William's receiver sight of which I have several already.
Even quality buckhorns are difficult to get used to but I have defiantly owned and used some dramatically better than the one on the Henry. The small, thin blade is probably the wort part of it. It is difficult to adjust as it is not in a very accurately cut groove and does not slide smoothly up or down.
The bottom line is if you plan on shooting your Henry to any degree other than very informally you will need to find a sight system that fits you and your typical shooting style, E. G. hunting, target, offhand etc. The number of aftermarket sight manufacturers should support what I have said.
Thank you Mistered. I will be researching other sight options. Do you have more information on the Williams sight you mentioned ?
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:25 pm

GFK wrote:
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:I fipped my insert as well but had little perceived effect. My Dad and son also shot multiple times as I thought maybe it was just my sight pattern. They consistently had the same results. I don't like to sound like a whiner or complainer but I've had several $100 dollar .22's that required very little if any adjustment right out of the box to shoot dead on. I just believe a gun of this quality from a reputable company should be held to a higher standard. Also, I would say the vast majority of shooters when shooting iron sights with a front bead and rear notch are going to settle the bead in the notch with either a six o'clock or possibly center hold. Seeing the front sight for me was not an issue as the big brass bead was quite clear. A better test firing protocol at the factory before the gun is sent out might eliminate some issues. I'll say it again , after spending a grand , I expected better when I've had much better results from $ 100 rifles.
I thought something similar. When I shot my Marlin 336W using open sights, I did not make any adjustments. It was pretty centered at 50 yards. I was hitting to the left some. But, I think that was more me and the trigger pull than the sight alignment. That is what prompt me to contact Henry. I expected a rifle that I paid $200 more for to shoot as well or better out the box. But, that was not the case. I will admit, I do not shoot as far to the left with it. I think it is due to a smoother trigger pull. So, that is a plus. But, a smoother trigger pull is not effective if a bullet is not on target.
That's exactly how I feel, GFK. I know buckhorn sights maybe a bit fickle but I have used them on a number of rifles with certainly respectable results. The left /right correction on my rifle was quite minimal and easily corrected. But this elevation issue is something else. I don't have a problem with raising the front bead up farther in the buckhorn to achieve the result but when the rear ramp is fully elevated and you have to hold at the very top of the target essentially blocking it from view, well that's not acceptable for me. Not at 50 yards.
0 x