Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

.45-70 H010CC sighting problem

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

.45-70 H010CC sighting problem

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Put the rifle on the bench for the first time today. 50 yard target and sand bagged. First shot 16" low. Raised back ramp one space at a time. Half way up ramp still 8" low. Shooting HSM 405 gr Cowboy loads. Loaded up Hornady Leverevolution 325 gr FTX. Shots placed same height as HSM's. Groupings were consistently to the right. Adjusted to the left two times got side to side lined up straight below bullseye but still low. Adjusted ramp all the way in the highest notch. Consistently 4 inches below bull but tight group. Turned rear sight inset over to shallow notch. Shot 4 times. Little change in elevation!! Finally sighted with brass bead up in the middle of the buckhorn and shadowing out the bull with the head and put it in the bull. My son and I backed off to 100 yards and shot resting on top of a fence post at water filled milk jugs. Holding same middle of buckhorn sight pattern and bead basically covering up jug I shot once and my son shot once. Two exploded milk jugs. Good enough for the deer woods but I am used to putting the bead in the groove and holding at six o'clock or even center. Having the back ramp all of the way elevated and the front sight blocking target to get the POI where it's wanted is not very satisfying. The only other thing I can think of is the height of the front sight. Little disappointed really. Any of you folks have any suggestions ? I have been shooting iron sights on many different rifle makes and calibers but I've never had to raise the elevator ramp all of the way and still have It shooting low especially at that close range. Should I call Henry ?
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: .45-70 H010CC sighting problem

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:00 am

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:... Should I call Henry ?
Yes. If you can change out the front sight yourself they should send you another front sight.

Me, I prefer the front sight bead in the rear sight grove just covering the POI.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:25 am

Should I call Henry ?
As Mags said - only to request a new (shorter) front sight.
If they send you one then its a simple matter to change it.
Remember - 'rule of thumb' when changing sights to correct POI - F.O.R.S. - front opposite, rear same.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:33 am

Mags wrote:
Ozarkridgerunner wrote:... Should I call Henry ?
Yes. If you can change out the front sight yourself they should send you another front sight.

Me, I prefer the front sight bead in the rear sight grove just covering the POI.
That was my line of thought too on the front sight and , like I stated and you mention, I prefer that same sight pattern on iron sights also. Thanks, Mags.
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:43 am

Mistered wrote:
Should I call Henry ?
As Mags said - only to request a new (shorter) front sight.
If they send you one then its a simple matter to change it.
Remember - 'rule of thumb' when changing sights to correct POI - F.O.R.S. - front opposite, rear same.
Yes sir , thanks Mistered. I can hit with it but I don't like the sighting pattern and the rear ramp raised all of the way looks like it would be easily bumped off and lost. It's barely held in there by the downward pressure of the buckhorn. My thoughts on the front sight too. Glad to have you affirm. I will contact Henry. That front post seems quite tall compared to most front sights I'm used too. Wonder if others have had this issue on this or other models ?
0 x

Ozarkridgerunner
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Ozarkridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:51 am

If that front sight is standard model I would have to think there has been other folks with similar issues. I know we have different sight patterns but to have the elevator raised to the max to get shots on the paper at 50 yards seems extreme to me. I just assumed the front post would be pretty standard in height
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:36 am

but to have the elevator raised to the max to get shots on the paper at 50 yards seems extreme to me.
It is no doubt and if Henry can let a rifle leave the factory with shorted rifling at the muzzle (referencing another members post) then it's understandable a sight taller than others found it's way onto your barrel.
Heck I have swapped so many sights from one rifle to another I don't remember which went with which.
If you have an opportunity please measure your current front sight from the barrel to the top and post it. I'd like to know how tall it is.
Also one more thing - you will never recognize (or experience optimal accuracy) with the stock Henry rear sight. The blade is too thin to get a clear view of the front through it and even the deeper notch on it is too shallow and small (I enlarged mine on day one of ownership).
You really need to consider a better rear sight such as a receiver style to attain a better sight picture and accuracy.
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:49 am

I had a similar situation with my H009 but in reverse. I was hitting high (not on paper- 12" target) at 50 yards with the rear ramp all the way down. Someone else tried and was also hitting high. After contacting Henry, I was reminded about the adjustment of the insert on the rear ramp. After adjusting it down, I have achieved a desired impact with a 6 o'clock hold. But, I really do not like having the rear ramp adjusted to its max.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:06 am

Ozarkridgerunner wrote:If that front sight is standard model I would have to think there has been other folks with similar issues. I know we have different sight patterns but to have the elevator raised to the max to get shots on the paper at 50 yards seems extreme to me. I just assumed the front post would be pretty standard in height
I vaguely seem to remember an older topic or few about sight problems. Seems it shows up now an then. Maybe possible there has been a little mixed inventory in the factory part bins.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:12 am

Mistered wrote: The blade is too thin to get a clear view of the front through it and even the deeper notch on it is too shallow and small (I enlarged mine on day one of ownership).
My H009B has a reversible rear sight. It came from the factory in the 'V' configuration which is too small/shallow. Flipped it over to the 'U' configuration and it is just right.
0 x