Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

S&W 6" Model 629-1 .44 Magnum Review

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: S&W 6" Model 629-1 .44 Magnum Review

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Correct. In my case it was a weak spring, but the gun was under warranty and Smith fixed it, promptly.
0 x

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by garryj » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Mistered wrote:The reverse spin issue could be nothing more than the cylinder stop being very dirty and sticking, the spring installed incorrectly or weak or it might have a slight burr on it preventing the cylinder from locking properly.
It is a pretty simple process to inspect and possibly resolve with nothing more than a good cleaning or smoothing up the cylinder stop.
All true, but I will still have the problem of not being able to shoot full power loads. I intend to use this revolver as a hunting handgun and need to be able to practice with the same ammo that I use to hunt. So, even repaired, a constant diet of hunting loads will eventually cause the same problem to occur. I know that both Ruger Redhawks and Dan Wesson 44s are much stronger than older and even newer S&W N-frames. Plus, I can get a new Ruger for the money I can can get for this one. DW 44s are very hard to find at a reasonable price, but if I find one, that may be the way to go.

Garry
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:25 pm

garryj wrote:I know that both Ruger Redhawks and Dan Wesson 44s are much stronger than older and even newer S&W N-frames. Plus, I can get a new Ruger for the money I can can get for this one.

Garry

I like a Smith but for heavy hitters, I prefer the Ruger Redhawk .... understood on the recoil with hunting level ammo .... a top quality set of Pachmayr grips and having it Mag-Na-Ported helped considerably with both felt recoil and barrel jump .... we've had ours for decades, during which time it has fired literally tens of thousands (if not several hundred thousand) .... its taken bear, boar and dear .... it is just as tight today as it was when bought
Attachments
150401 001 44 001.jpg
150401 001 44 001.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Finding a Dan Wesson 44 mag is going to be a challenge and and an expensive at that. Plus, you'll have to beat me to it. :)

Honestly, my choice in a 44 mag revolver, even now with all my bad experiences with Rugers, would still be that big old ugly Super Redhawk. Have had a couple and both were great in every way - other than looks. For an out of the box revolver, the Ruger SRH was easily the most comfortable to shoot for me - almost too comfy, given the price of 44 mag ammo. :) Seriously, though, I could burn through a box of 50 in no time with the Super Redhawk. By comparison, had my Contender 44 mag out the other day and less than half a box was about my limit.

1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Wow, that's some challenge put out to Garry! :o

Next time I'm at the Arms Mart LGS in Independence, MO, I'll have to look for that DM .44 mag model. This shop usually carries a number of pre-owned DW revolvers.
garryj wrote: DW 44s are very hard to find at a reasonable price, but if I find one, that may be the way to go.

Garry
North Country Gal wrote:Finding a Dan Wesson 44 mag is going to be a challenge and and an expensive at that. Plus, you'll have to beat me to it. :)
0 x

~Пока~

garryj
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by garryj » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:10 am

North Country Gal wrote:Finding a Dan Wesson 44 mag is going to be a challenge and and an expensive at that. Plus, you'll have to beat me to it. :)

Honestly, my choice in a 44 mag revolver, even now with all my bad experiences with Rugers, would still be that big old ugly Super Redhawk. Have had a couple and both were great in every way - other than looks. For an out of the box revolver, the Ruger SRH was easily the most comfortable to shoot for me - almost too comfy, given the price of 44 mag ammo. :) Seriously, though, I could burn through a box of 50 in no time with the Super Redhawk. By comparison, had my Contender 44 mag out the other day and less than half a box was about my limit.

I finally found a Dan Wesson 44 that I could afford(750.00 after negotiations)on Armslist and it should be here next week. I will post pictures and a range report after I get it to the range.

Garry
1 x