Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PT7 -- LCRx .38 Special EDC due diligence

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

PT7 -- LCRx .38 Special EDC due diligence

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Last time I did "due diligence" in shooting my EDC revolver (HD practice) was on May 12th. Getting close to 3 months now, and in my thinking that's a little too long between range visits for an HD firearm. So went over to the Frontier Justice indoor range in KCKS this morning. Ran a total of 63 rounds through my Ruger .38 Special + P revolver.

~~~All shooting was done using D/A from the standing position, off hand only.
~~~Shot 53 rounds one-handed, the remaining 10 were shot using two hands.
~~~Most rounds normally fired, but mixed it up with some rapid fire also.
~~~HD distances and targets: 10 rounds at 7 yards; 53 rounds at 5 yards, using head & torso silhouettes.

I believe I qualified okay. ;) But I noticed some "unfamiliarity" creeping in with my D/A trigger pull memory. Sight acquisition was pretty good. My self-eval is that I need to practice with this revolver more often to be sharply on target.

Due Diligence Photos

First 10 POIs at 7 yards. Used my choice for an HD load --- BHA 125gr JHP + P. Good ammo. The neck or jaw POI was not planned. :(
FJ_blue head_2625.JPG
FJ_blue head_2625.JPG (139.09 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
5-yard POIs using my son's-in-law .38 Special + P reloads. He loaded these as close as he could to the level of a .357 magnum round. There is some good kick/recoil here.
FJ_blue torso_2626.JPG
FJ_blue torso_2626.JPG (148.43 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Tried some new-to-the-revolver HPR 158gr JHP (not +P) ammo. I didn't bring the revolver well enough back on target with the increased recoil. Yup, means more practice if I want to keep using this ammo.
FJ_black head_2627.JPG
FJ_black head_2627.JPG (139.18 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Second torso POIs using CT_Shooter's reloads, .38 Special ZERO 125gr JHPs. Very good reloaded ammo; handled with care & accurate!
FJ_black torso_2628.JPG
FJ_black torso_2628.JPG (169.96 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
Once again, the LCRx operated with no hitches whatsoever. I'd give my range time a little different summary description today. Enjoyed the practice time, and it was "serious fun." Thanks for taking some time to count the POIs in-target! :D

PT7
4 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: PT7 -- LCRx .38 Special EDC due diligence

Post by North Country Gal » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Thank-you, PT, for the great reminder to do due diligence if you plan to use a firearm for self-defense. People who buy a gun for self-defense and never practice are a pet peeve of mine. Statics show that such people are more likely to shoot themselves or an innocent by stander than people who take the time to become familiar with their gun and shoot on a regular basis.

And, yes, you certainly qualified. Keep up the good work.
3 x

Carver
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Carver » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Looking good, it appears you got it zeroed in. Nice shooting.
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks much, NCG. Good to know I did qualify today. :D

And you're welcome about the "reminder." Totally agree.....gotta keep on top of an EDC. I can actually "feel" when I need to hit the range again; it becomes uncomfortable even putting the revolver in the holster after a long time between range visits.

PT7
North Country Gal wrote:Thank-you, PT, for the great reminder to do due diligence if you plan to use a firearm for self-defense. People who buy a gun for self-defense and never practice are a pet peeve of mine. Statics show that such people are more likely to shoot themselves or an innocent by stander than people who take the time to become familiar with their gun and shoot on a regular basis.

And, yes, you certainly qualified. Keep up the good work.
1 x

~Пока~