Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Not That Great

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Not That Great

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:18 pm

GFK wrote:I can understand. I went out a couple a weeks ago and shot my Marlin. I used Remington instead of Winchesters (I trying to deplete my supply of Remingtons). It seems to like Winchesters the best though. With a scope, I was shooting the Remingtons low at 50 yards. The group was not bad but consistently low. So, it was me, the scope or the ammo. I had shoot about a 2 3/4" group at 100 yards a few months previously with Winchesters (150gr). So, I moved to the 100 yards range. There was no consistency. Shot a group of 3. One was center; one was high, and one was low. Again, me, the scope or the ammo. I guess I should include trigger pull. But, I would have had a similar trigger when I was zeroing in the scope with Winchesters a few months ago. For me, it is seeming like replacing my supply of Remingtons with Winchesters may be the right choice. But, I will shoot a few groups of Winchesters to confirm that.
I was swapping back and forth between the Fiocchi and the MagTech every five rounds to see if I could blame the ammo, and no dice. It was me, the lighting, my fuzzy aperture, whatever. Tomorrow is another day!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:18 pm

ESquared wrote:Just have to get it figured out soon, as deer season is looming!
looking forward to your continued reports on your preseason work and on hunting season as well .. 8-)
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:53 pm

ESquared wrote: Tomorrow is another day!
Yes, tomorrow. Our todays can make better tomorrows. That's what I took from my not so great results. Seeing what I can learn from it and build on it. Next, I will put my theory to the test. If confirmed, great. If not, try again. Either way, win win.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:50 pm

Even when I have good lighting, my aim constantly waivers. Just not as steady as I once was. At 75 yds and beyond, I kinda take a snap shot when I see I'm wavering/drifting toward the target center. I usually do OK with that approach (within 4 inches at 100yds). Keep practicing, you'll figure out a recipe that works for you. You'll find it gets easier to put bullets where you want them with a scope, but still for the longer distances you'll have to develop your skill and body language to go with it. Glad to see you getting out and shooting. May you have many more days of such.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234