Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Target Shooting on Public Land

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Target Shooting on Public Land

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:25 am

Went to presentation hosted by TNL yesterday. Part of what they confirmed is that there are no public land 'official/sponsored' ranges near me on the 'west side' of the Cascade Mtns. The closest, there once were 4 in the Tillimook forest on the way to coast. Now there are only two. Shooting in the 2 closed is now prohibited. Safety deteriorated berm and Trash used as targets the problem. One of the sites had a firearms caused small fire, a punky stump used as a target back drop. The shooter was able to extinguish it and reported it to a Oregon Dept of Forestry (ODF) work crew in the vicinity who came to make sure the fire was out. The ODF when they have a dozer in the area has done maintenance on deteriorated berms in the two remaining ranges.

In the Mount Hood Nat'l Forest - Clackamas County, the USNFS has numerous small rock quarrys used for logging road maintenance that they want and encourage shooters to use.

Shooting elsewhere on public lands is ok (unless posted otherwise) provided the rules are followed. Posted on the TNL, ODF and USNFS local websites.

Anyway for me, for now, I'm fortunate to be able shoot at home.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:49 pm

public land 'official/sponsored' ranges
We have one near me in the Gilchrist STATE forest about 17 miles south of me. Not a bad little range actually - it's only maintained minimally but it's not too bad.
Two covered areas with fairly decent benches. I sometimes head down there for a change of scenery but most of the time (like this morning) I just go to one of my few 'pet' sites close to my house and set up a folding table & targets.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:04 pm

Henry88 wrote:Here in Florida, I really don't know what public land is. Any land owned by whatever government has a name and a purpose, and most importantly, it's unique set of rules. On a large property, like Ocala, the rules can change based on longitude/latitude or a marked path.

My point is these rules have become very specific so you have to check each property, like the webpage says.

With regard to target shooting on public land, I am not aware of anywhere in Florida that you can target shoot on public land other than the ranges.
About 70% of Washington is federal or state land. Most of the 70% is National Forest.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Looks like Washington state has similar rules as Oregon. At least those public lands managed by Department of Natural Resources.

Board and Department of Natural Resources
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:53 pm

I shoot on public land .The Pawnee National Grasslands. But there are people who leave all of there trash out there including empty shell casings from Shotguns and brass from pistols and rifles. Every-time I go out there it seems like there is more and more trash. Im thinking someday its all gonna come to an end. I cant believe that Im the only shooter out there that thinks that way. It would take alot of work and several trucks to clean it all up. Its really a shame and I have thought about many times of making a sign to let people know to clean up there targets.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:03 pm

BigAl52 wrote:... I have thought about many times of making a sign to let people know to clean up their targets.
Good idea do so. It will at least get people to thinking about it and have a guilt thing. I'd bet a lot of people don't clean up after themselves because they see others not doing so and think it's OK because everyone else is leaving it.
1 x

Lyman
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Lyman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:04 pm

BigAl52 wrote:I shoot on public land .The Pawnee National Grasslands. But there are people who leave all of there trash out there including empty shell casings from Shotguns and brass from pistols and rifles. Every-time I go out there it seems like there is more and more trash. Im thinking someday its all gonna come to an end. I cant believe that Im the only shooter out there that thinks that way. It would take alot of work and several trucks to clean it all up. Its really a shame and I have thought about many times of making a sign to let people know to clean up there targets.
We have a homemade sign where I go. It gets moved around a bit but I always place it right where everyone can see it.
Don't know if it helps but it's been clean the last few times I have been out.
0 x
NRA & 2nd Amendment Supporter. Lyman is my middle name.

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:35 pm

including empty shell casings from Shotguns
While I DO NOT agree with leaving brass or shells on the ground, or any trash for that matter I have LONG suggested we need to have a deposit on shotgun shells - much like on cans and bottles we have here in Oregon. I won't say we need .10 per like bottles and cans but .05 per would keep them off the ground!
0 x

Leonardo
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Leonardo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:53 pm

I used to shoot on what was public land. It was always a mess of a place. A shooting buddy and I always hauled a few trash bags off the property every time we went. I was approached one day after out cleanup, seem the land was owned by a kind old rancher. He greatly thanked us and invited us to hunt on his property anytime. I miss the Great Falls area
0 x