Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

S&W 67

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

S&W 67

Post by ESquared » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Wow, it's been a long time since I shot 50 rounds through a revolver. Based on the overall condition of this gun, the very light cylinder drag marks and just how clean it is, it points toward relatively low round count for a 40 year old gun.

My other observation was a fair amount of dirt and "shooter thumb DNA" in the checkering on the hammer, which leads me to believe that many of the rounds fired were single-action shots.

Which may explain why the double action trigger pull (which is all I did today) was long and heavy. Smooth, but at least 10-11 lbs.

The outcome, accuracy-wise, was a pretty respectable number of good hits, a couple of ragged holes in the center of mass that indicated I was pretty consistent, but also a number of flyers all over the "face of the clock" (so to speak) that spoke to my unfamiliarity with when that trigger was going to break, which "long and heavy" doesn't help.

Didn't keep the target, as I was pretty disgusted with myself, but maybe I should have. You likely get the picture, though.

Anyway, I looked back through The Wiz's thread about his M67 (which is how I ended up here) and saw some suggestions for spring replacement kits, which Wolff and Wilson Combat make (plus one or two others). I could replace the mainspring and rebound spring easily enough, but I don't have the stones (or the stones) to start taking it all apart and honing/polishing component parts.

Will have to consult with my local smithy and see what he'd charge me to enhance my trigger while replacing said springs. Or, I may just replace the springs myself as Step #1 and see how it improves things. More detailed work by him could be Step #2.

Bottom line: Recoil is not an issue (was shooting 158 gr MagTech RN), the balance is perfect. The sight picture seems right on, but "combat hold" is definitely the ticket. But the DA pull/weight threw me off a bit. Will split it up 50/50 with Single Action next time out.

In the meantime, I'll pull off a DIY $15 "trigger job" with some new springs!
1 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: S&W 67

Post by Shakey Jake » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Sounds like a good gun that just needs to have some time with to get used to the POA/POI. Nothing like time on the range to figure it out.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:14 pm

A DA pull, as actually measured with a trigger pull gauge, of 11-12 pounds is actually pretty average in a DA revolver out of the box. Getting a gun with a measured DA pull at 10 pounds or less is the exception. The actual pull weight can be hard to actually guesstimate, since grip design and angle, trigger shape and the fit of your hand with the gun can make it seem more or less than actually measured with a gauge. Another factor in how heavy the DA pull feels is your trigger finger strength. You'd be surprised how regular dry fire work in DA can strengthen your trigger finger for DA shooting. The more you shoot in DA, the stronger your trigger finger gets and the easier feeling the pull.

Don't be too hard on yourself. When was the last time you shot a lot in DA with a revolver? If, as you say, it's been a long time since you've put 50 rounds through a revolver, then it's been a long time since you've done much DA shooting. I find that in order to stay in top form with my DA shooting that I must do it on a regular basis and I've been shooting DA revolvers in DA all my life. By all means, get a trigger job done, but that, in itself, is no miracle cure. Stay practice is, though. You're on your way with that gun, though. Get enough range time in for that 67 to become you pal and you'll be surprised at what you can do.
1 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Practice makes perfect, right? And, yes, it's been years since I shot a DA revolver, so I'll give myself some slack. This one is a keeper, that's for sure, so I'll do my best to master it!
Thanks for the words of encouragement and insight.
Here's another revolver newbie question: With the firing pin integrated into the hammer, like this one has, are snap caps necessary/advisable for dry fire practice?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:03 pm

The effectiveness of snap caps is a matter of debate, but they surely don't hurt, anything. As for me and my vintage Smiths with hammer mounted firing pin, I do very little dry fire practice with them, other than a few occasional pulls to check the trigger and familiarize myself with the gun. Contrary to what some will tell you, your gun doesn't know the difference between dry firing and live ammo as far as wear and tear. Dry fire does induce wear on a revolver. Just don't want to add any unnecessary wear on a gun that I would have a hard time replacing. On a new Smith centerfire, S&W says dry fire is fine, though. Pick up a new Smith and shoot the heck out of it and save the vintage stuff for an occasional outing. That's what I do. :)

For example, here's two Model 17 Smiths in 22 LR. Top gun is my vintage 17-3, made in 1973. It has the distinction of firing one of the smallest ver groups I've shot in a revolver at 25 yards. Superb example a vintage Model 17. I baby the gun, but I do shoot it every now and then. Bottom gun is my recently purchased Model 17 Classic, current production new gun. (Recently changed to target grips). I got this one to shoot as much as I want and shoot it, I do. Same feel as the older one and accurate, too.
2 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:18 pm

Rarely if ever would shoot my revolvers using S/A. Always liked to stay with the D/A trigger.

NCG is right that dry firing/snap caps practice does strengthen the trigger finger nicely. I did that a lot in my living room with my SP101 .357 magnum D/A trigger. Took out a lot of tv commercials with those snap caps. :lol:

It took me a little time to find that perfect spot on bringing through my D/A trigger pull. But once you're on top of it, it becomes pretty easy to shoot. I'm sure you've been there before, so this is nothing new --- you get so familiar and comfortable with the D/A trigger that you don't even think about it any longer. Just smoothly happens!

Usually have had several revolvers in my gun cabinet in D/A at any one time. Your thread got me to realize that I now have more S/A revolvers, and am having to learn how to handle those actions! Always something new out there; keeps the range visits very interesting, more challenging, and mostly, fun. :)

You both sure have some great-looking revolvers in hand. We're enjoying looking at them.
Thanks for your photo posts and the revolver chats!
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:21 pm

NCG is right about the pull. At first I thought the pull was to strong on my new 67 and was thinking about getting a trigger job but she suggested in the other thread just use it and dry fire when every you can . After putting 150 rounds thru it ( and having a ball), half DA, It feels smooth and silky. I don't even think about it. I just focus on the front sight and blast away. So much fun! :D
2 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks for all the guidance, y'all. Just have to get back in the groove! I went ahead and ordered a spring kit (mainspring and rebound spring) and feel like that will be a good first step (and probably the last step) to get me where I want to be.

Will be interesting to see where this piece ends up in my carry rotation. Even the guns I carry tend to get babied, as it's not like I'm out jumping fences or running gauntlets, so I vowed long ago that I wouldn't buy a gun that I couldn't/wouldn't carry.

It's going to deer camp, that' for sure!
0 x