Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Re: 327 Federal Big Boy Steel Carbine

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Re: 327 Federal Big Boy Steel Carbine

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:00 pm

My goto guy, Jeff Post: jeff@henryusa.com
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Shakey Jake wrote:Shooting my own loads. This particular group was using Federal 200 primer, 85gr XTP, over 8.0 gr True Blue in a Starline case.
Have you tried anything else?
One thing I did notice in the picture is there is a lot more vertical then horizontal. Horizontal looks to be about 3" not great but not exactly terrible for the number of rounds.
I have found levers to be a lot more difficult to shoot off a bench than other actions, very easy to have it sitting slightly different on the bags and also easy to grip it slightly differently from shot to shot. All of this will increase group size.
Would be very interesting to know the order of shots, did it just throw a random shot high or low or did a few in a row tend to go to the same area.
0 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:47 pm

220 wrote:
Shakey Jake wrote:Shooting my own loads. This particular group was using Federal 200 primer, 85gr XTP, over 8.0 gr True Blue in a Starline case.
Have you tried anything else?
One thing I did notice in the picture is there is a lot more vertical then horizontal. Horizontal looks to be about 3" not great but not exactly terrible for the number of rounds.
I have found levers to be a lot more difficult to shoot off a bench than other actions, very easy to have it sitting slightly different on the bags and also easy to grip it slightly differently from shot to shot. All of this will increase group size.
Would be very interesting to know the order of shots, did it just throw a random shot high or low or did a few in a row tend to go to the same area.
All I can say is the barrel that come on it originally shot a whole lot better. I think there's some pics still on this thread if one wants to go back far enough. I can say that I no longer have the "case bulge" problem and I have yet had a round not fire. I was having some rounds not fire on the first strike. Those two problems seem to be eliminated. (I might try going back to Accurate #9 but I really don't think that's the problem.) We'll see what Henry has to say. I only have one hand on the rifle when shooting off the bench/bags no matter the firearm. I steady the rifle on the bag and right shoulder. It works for me and I've been very successful shooting that way since I was a teen. I'm sure there's a lot of advise as to how I may not be shooting correctly, have the right ammo, maybe I'm jerking, etc. BUT if you look at those two targets you can't tell me it's NOT the rifle.
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Ya I have to agree with the others. At 50 yds, shouldn't have that wide of a spread even with more repositioning after .327 recoil over the .223.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Henry (Jeffrey Post) said to send it back. I'll do that at the beginning of the month as I'm going to be traveling over the next couple of weeks.
Jake
1 x

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:25 pm

I've ordered some American Eagle .327 from Cabelas. They finally got some in stock. .327 factory ammo is getting harder and harder to find. I'll try again with the factory ammo and see what happens. I had an incident while visiting my mom in Bartlesville. Nothing major but my neck is causing me some problems that I need to get checked out. X-rays showed nothing but I probably need an MRI on it to see if I've got a disc out of place. As soon as my physical needs are lined out I'll take the factory ammo out and see if I get a better grouping.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:35 pm

Sorry about your accident. Hope you feel better soon.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:49 pm

sorry to hear about the accident .... hope you bounce back quickly .... have you sent your rifle back to Henry ?
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Get better soon, Jake and keep us posted. Interested to see what happens with you and Henry and the whole situation. You know they'll fix it.
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:24 pm

JEBar wrote:sorry to hear about the accident .... hope you bounce back quickly .... have you sent your rifle back to Henry ?
No, I'm going to try the factory loads first. That way Henry won't be able to question the handloads.
Jake
0 x