Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shooting like it was 1860s

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Shooting like it was 1860s

Post by ESquared » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 pm

You guys are like museum curators! Thanks for sharing, all of you!

The pitting in Ruhler's example looks like it may just have sat in a holster forever. Looks like contact-induced corrosion of some sort. The thought of it sitting in a cowboy's leather holster for years is what I'm gonna go with.
2 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Ruhler
Thanks for your post and glad you had a good time with an original BP revolver. Its neat to see some blackpowder shooting in the range reports for sure. I have several revolvers and quite a few rifles in flint and caplock both. None of mine are original and the fact that your is makes it even neater. Doesnt matter where its been all these years or how it got in the condition that its in now. It would be neat to know but the fact that it still functions and is giving you enjoyment is very cool.
3 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:14 am

BigAl52 wrote:Ruhler
Thanks for you post and glad you had a good time with an original BP revolver. Its neat to see some blackpowder shooting in the range reports for sure. I have several revolvers and quite a few rifles in flint and caplock both. None of mine are original and the fact that your is makes it even neater. Doesnt matter where its been all these years or how it got in the condition that its in now. It would be neat to know but the fact that it still functions and is giving you enjoyment is very cool.
When getting into blackpowdershooting I really never expected it to be so fun, the friendship among shooters and collectors lots of laugh and lots of stories and history and showing something cool items they found all from weapons to militaria. And then the shootingpart with loadingprocess, blackpowder, primers and grease and then the smoke, smell and dirt its basic pure fun. You can get to the range stressed out and leaving with a smile on your face.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 am

Yes to it all :!:
These are the very best of shooting range times.

Reading your steps in the loading process sounds most relaxing. I don't get as dirty, of course, slowly loading, shooting, and unloading a S/A revolver, but the slowed-downed pace does mellow things out nicely. Great to leave the range & friends with a smile, and breathing out a relaxed "Ahhh" as you head home. :)
ruhler wrote: When getting into blackpowdershooting I really never expected it to be so fun, the friendship among shooters and collectors lots of laugh and lots of stories and history and showing something cool items they found all from weapons to militaria. And then the shootingpart with loadingprocess, blackpowder, primers and grease and then the smoke, smell and dirt its basic pure fun. You can get to the range stressed out and leaving with a smile on your face.
0 x

~Пока~

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:53 am

Yep BP shooting is a lot of fun and, as previously mentioned about as low stress as it gets.
Been doing it a long time myself and wished more were getting into it but sadly it's a dying sport.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:37 am

I don't know if black powder shooting is a dying sport as much as it's been a sport with fewer participants, these days. Not arguing, here, just looking at it a bit, differently. What I'm saying is that I don't think it will ever disappear, entirely. It's been my experience that the number of shooters who shoot black power for fun and enjoyment, just for the sake of shooting black powder, has stayed much the same over the years. It's a small, but active group. Have known some of these traditional shooters all my life.

The shooters who have disappeared in great numbers are the ones who took up black powder to take advantage of extra shooting seasons and opportunities. These are the same shooters who have lined up in numbers to accept in line muzzle loading and modern muzzle loading, scopes and all, thanks to game agencies that have liberalized the definition of primitive weapons. Not criticizing these muzzle loader folks - have shot in-lines, myself - but I sincerely hope that there will always be enough of the traditional shooters to carry on the tradition to the next generation. I've also shot traditional and have been thinking of doing it, again. I'll do my part. :)
4 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:11 pm

I agree with you NCG. I might also add that what many of us traditionalist need to do is introduce the traditional blackpowder shooting to the younger shooters. Alot of the younger crowd only knows the spray and pray method of an AR-15 or a semi auto handgun. Its kind of like history class in school anymore most kids now a days have no clue about anything to do with WW 2. Like Ruhler mention the camaraderie that goes on behind the firing line is informative and fun. I agree you can go to the range stressed and come away relaxed its that much fun. Ive got revolvers and flintlocks I havent shot. I need more time. Its coming soon.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:34 pm

Alot of the younger crowd only knows the spray and pray method of an AR-15 or a semi auto handgun.
And herein is the problem - typically most in this 'crowd' did not grow up in a shooting/hunting/outdoors family and to them these guns are 'tactical' , for defense only, SHTF scenarios and several other phantasmagorical situations.
Their only guidance has been AR15.com, 'black gun' manufacturing websites & cheap bulk ammo
As far as those of us who shoot BP I suspect the greater number of us grew up in an outdoors environment and got into into BP as an extension of our interest in shooting, the tradition and history of the early mountain men & women and ultimately for some transitioning into BP hunting - but doing so with traditional BP rifles (as I did - I don't even regard inlines as 'muzzleloaders')
I know some very 'hard core' traditionalists - some having been long time participants in 'rendezvous' and other gatherings and the one thing they say is the numbers are dropping every year. Even in Oregon some of the BP activities that were once popular have very few members anymore or have ceased completely - and there are very few (nearly no) new getting involved.
Good luck bringing new people into BP as I just don't think the level of 'traditional' thinking, or the interest and respect for history exists anymore.
However as a testament to MY dedication the attached video is the first shot after I laboriously restored a Thompson/Center .54 Cal Renegade last year that was given to me and had suffered tremendous neglect. A lot of hard work brought it back to probably 90% condition and I'll let the video speak for itself...
Last edited by Mistered on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:48 pm

dialog about flash deleted
Last edited by Mags on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:55 pm

try it now
0 x