Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Shooting like it was 1860s

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Shooting like it was 1860s

Post by ruhler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:17 am

Yesterday me and my friends went to the range for some blackpowdershooting, we all shot original cap&ball revolvers.

My original remington 1858 new army, Just got to the range so I took a picture before it got dirty.

Loaded up with 20grains of blackpowder 2F with wads and .454 roundball and some "blackpowdergrease", in the background you see my old "blackpowder rangebag"

Its a challenge each time shooting this revolver because its the original frontsight I have to aim a lot lower on 25meters since the revolver back in the days was centered at 70meters I belive. Aim at the right place and it performs just as well as a modern firearm. Since im careful with this revolver I have replaced the nipples and mainspring with new parts not because it was something wrong with them but im careful with wearing on those parts after all its a original revolver in good shape so I save them as they are.
3 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Shooting like it was 1860s

Post by Mags » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:13 am

Really like hearing about the original firearms and the stories past and current that go with them. Thank you for sharing.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:20 am

Mags wrote:Really like hearing about the original firearms and the stories past and current that go with them. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks its made around 1864, has armymarks and cartochstamp. It has some heavy pitting on the side around the grip (left side) and on the hammer indicating its probably bloodpitting, without it it would probably much more valuable but I really like the mystic around it often wonders what happened to that soldier?
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:46 am

To have a history-loaded, Civil War era BP revolver like yours is cool. 8-)
And the pictures you posted look to be in very good condition for that many years gone by.

It possibly could have more gun shop "value" to it as you said, without the blems or age. But you placed a greater value on it, in my thinking, when you said "I really like the mystic around it often wonders what happened to that soldier?"

Very nice Range Report...thanks for the interesting post! :)
1 x

~Пока~

Abnermal
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Abnermal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:08 am

If only that revolver could talk! Neat gun and great report!
0 x
I can remember saying I'd never own a GLOCK,never own an AR15 and never get married. I found out that never is a long,long time!

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 am

outstanding .... thanks for posting the pictures and comments
0 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:19 am

but I really like the mystic around it often wonders what happened to that soldier?
While it's fun to 'wonder' about the history of a gun unless you have some specific provenance as to the ownership you will of course never know.
Because it was made 'around 1864' - and the Civil War ended in May of 1865 it most likely NEVER saw a day on the battlefield. Also the condition supports this as most guns that saw action NEVER came back in this good of condition. Take a look at the pic of my dads 'Duffle Bag' Victory Smith & Wesson - I doubt it ever made it out of the US - and it was made in 1942 so it had time to get there before the war ended. I also have a similar situation with my 1899 Winchester Klondike 30-30. While it's fun to think it was carried on the saddle of cowboy or for other exciting uses it's condition suggests it probably rarely made it out of the closet of the home in San Francisco it 'lived' in.
Regardless your Remington is a great gun in fantastic condition you are lucky to own!
0 x

ruhler
Cowhand
Sweden

Post by ruhler » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:09 am

Glad you like it, Its history is unknown but the pittings makes the imagination spinning. :) Mabye a soldier had it, maybe a bandit, lawman or a cowboy we will never know for sure, I bought as a shooter and wanted one in great condition. I took some more pictures after cleaning and the bore is really shiny, the frame has a lot of bluing left a little less on the left side where the "thumbgrip" is with the pittings.

1 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:39 am

The pitting on the left side suggests it laid on something (for a long time) that drew moisture and eventually eroded this area.
Ironically my 1899 Winchester has a similar issue. While the rest of the gun is in pretty good shape there is one area of the mag tube that looks about the same - and I suspect it laid against something that drew moisture and pitted it. It had been in a closet for 50 years - I'll post a pic later.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:57 am

Love seeing black powder shooting posts, all the more so with an original. Great post. Thanks.
0 x