Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Small Game Carbine 22LR First Outing

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Small Game Carbine 22LR First Outing

Post by ESquared » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Loaded up the SGC with CCI HV 40 grain copper coated ammo and headed out with the Peep-sighted/brass beaded set up.

Taking my time between magazines and shooting just 10 rounds per mag, I put over 100 rounds through it, from 15 to 25 yards and it consistently shot about 3-4" high from all distances and from several stances (from seated/bench rest to standing/braced). I had the RSO shoot it as well and he got the same results.

I even tried various versions of the old "6:00 Hold," and to get anywhere near the "red", I had to hold the gold bead front sight right at or BELOW the bottom of an 8" target at 25 yards.

My gunsmith looked at the target and the gun and came to the conclusion that the only answer is a taller front sight, which is consistent with the "F.O.R.S." sight adjustment formula of "Front Opposite" of the way you want the POI to go (to move POI DOWN, need front sight to go UP) and "Rear Same" (to move the the POI DOWN, move the rear sight DOWN). We came to taller front sight as our only option as the rear sight is as low as it will go.

Anybody else have this experience? I've sent an email to Patrick Hill at HRA for some solutions, but I have to assume a taller front bead sight is available, no?
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Re: Small Game Carbine 22LR First Outing

Post by ESquared » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Holy cow, those guys are good! Already heard back from Patrick and he's sending me a taller front sight, no questions asked.

In fact his email to me said "The SGC is one of the best 22 models we make but occasionally with the receiver mounted peep you do need that taller front sight. Just send me a good address you would like me to send it to and I will get that out for you no problem"

How can you not love this?
3 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Yup, and resolved in about 23 minutes. Another excellent Henry CS story :!: :!: :!:

And I agree with Patrick's highlighted statement below. He's talking about my SGC. :D
No smoke there, and spot-on assessment.

ESquared wrote:Holy cow, those guys are good! Already heard back from Patrick and he's sending me a taller front sight, no questions asked.

In fact his email to me said "The SGC is one of the best 22 models we make but occasionally with the receiver mounted peep you do need that taller front sight. Just send me a good address you would like me to send it to and I will get that out for you no problem"

How can you not love this?
1 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:29 am

If I think about what needs to be done to raise/lower the point of impact I always get it wrong. The solution is just to memorize the front opposite rule.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:17 pm

Yup, putting both sight rules together.
POI rule of thumb
o Rear raise/lower
o Front opposite
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234