Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

H009 at Range Today

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

H009 at Range Today

Post by GFK » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:09 am

Well, I made it to the range today. My goals were to verify sight at 50 yards, and shoot from standing and kneeling positions. After finally getting use to the semi-buckhorn, I adjusted the the rear insert down a bit before the fifth group and was satisfied with the results.
50yards 8Jul18-1.JPG
50yards 8Jul18-1.JPG (189.76 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
I was getting tired. So, I only shoot one group on one knee. I used a 8" target to prepare for hunting season.
50yards 8Jul18-2.JPG
50yards 8Jul18-2.JPG (207.96 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
I am not unhappy with the results. I will shoot standing another day.

Side note: I noticed that the cases nicks the receiver during ejection. Has anyone else noticed something like that?
3 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: H009 at Range Today

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:56 am

GFK wrote:... I noticed that the cases nicks the receiver during ejection. Has anyone else noticed something like that?
Not sure what you mean by 'nicks'. I've had cases falter (sort of barely fall out) during ejection instead of flying out. My error in not always throwing the lever open crisply or all the way forward.

You had a good time shooting, congrats on that.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:47 am

Mags wrote:
GFK wrote:... I noticed that the cases nicks the receiver during ejection. Has anyone else noticed something like that?
Not sure what you mean by 'nicks'. I've had cases falter (sort of barely fall out) during ejection instead of flying out. My error in not always throwing the lever open crisply or all the way forward.

You had a good time shooting, congrats on that.
Thanks. No, they fly out. At first, they would fall out. Then, I started working the action more firmly. But, some cases hit the side of the receiver as they fly out.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 am

I recall with my Big Boy 45 Colt I had to really work that lever with authority or things would not go as smooth. Good shooting.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:48 pm

....But, some cases hit the side of the receiver as they fly out.
Sorry still having a hard time visualizing whats happening. Are the case rims catching on the lip of the ejection port?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:07 pm

Mags wrote:
....But, some cases hit the side of the receiver as they fly out.
Sorry still having a hard time visualizing whats happening. Are the case rims catching on the lip of the ejection port?
This may help. They are hitting the back part of the receiver as they are ejected:
Attachments
ReceiverNicks.jpg
ReceiverNicks.jpg (163.88 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:40 pm

So the cases are coming out of the ejection port in some manner that causes them pivot around and whack the outside of the receiver near the hammer?

I tried to duplicate this.
I cycled my H009 lever real slowly with a snapcap case in the chamber to get an idea of what might be happening. What I saw was as the bolt draws back the hook on the end of the ejector tab draws the case by the rim out of the chamber. When the bolt is nearly all the way back the ejector spring flicks the body of the case out of the ejection port. At the time the spring kicks in, the case rim is still behind the ejector hook. As the case rim rotates around the end of the hook it is supposed to come free of the hook resulting in the case being ejected out and away from the rifle. Now by happen stance I happened to be holding my rifle on it's side with the ejection port pointing up. In this rifle orientation the snapcap case rim pivoted around the ejector tab hook with the snapcap case swinging around and bouncing off of the receiver behind the ejection port near the hammer. I staged the picture below to show where the snapcap was hitting before it bounced away. Another observation on my behavior. When I'm sitting at a shooting bench, I can't fully cycle the lever without turning the rifle on it's side as lever cycling is impeded by the bench top. Does this sound like what you are experiencing?
20180709_201705.jpg
20180709_201705.jpg (126.45 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:27 am

Thanks for your time and insight. I don't pay much attention to the orientation of the rifle other than being pointed down range. I do take it off my shoulder to cycle while at a bench. I don't think I tilt it to the side though. I will have to pay closer attention to that now.

I was keeping it on my shoulder. But, the cases would get stuck or fall out of the ejection port. I started removing it from to shoulder to cycle more firmly. I have not noticed the cases nicking the receiver of my Marlin. So, I have not thought much about the impact other than speed of re-shouldering the rifle for sight alignment. But, I will test your theory. Thanks!
1 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:56 am

Let us know how that goes.

Another thought. Try a different brand of ammo. The case rims on what you have might be thicker, making them pivot more as they come out because of a tighter fit between the ejector hook and front of the bolt.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:25 am

Okay. Will do. I was shooting Hornadys and Winchesters 150gr. I like the Winchesters though. They seem to work well in my Marlin and Henry.
0 x