Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Pointy 30-30 bullets

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Pointy 30-30 bullets

Post by GFK » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Mistered wrote:
That is some shooting.
Oh, it's not anything particularly noteworthy. If I could do it shot after shot it could be called 'marksmanship' - the rifle is inherently accurate but not really meant for that distance. Hitting it a couple times is more a matter of estimating the elevation & windage and 'lobbing' them in. Kind of like hitting five gal LP tanks at 100 yards with a pistol - and I can do this fairly easily with my 1911 .45 ACP - but it's more of a 'parlor trick' at the range than real 'marksmanship'
If that is how you see it. But, hitting an 18" object from 500 yards is nothing to sneeze at. I suspect if it was typical, you would not have tried it. You don't strike me as someone that takes the road well traveled. But, that is just my cut.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:11 pm

If that is how you see it. But, hitting an 18" object from 500 yards is nothing to sneeze at.
Well with the right gun this is much more attainable - but maybe I'll load some 'stout' 30-30 and give it a try with one of my 26" Winchesters.
Reality being what it is however I am much more of an 'offhand' shooter and would be more satisfied with sub - 3" groups on paper at 100 yards than occasional, undefined hits on a gong at 500.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 am

Mistered wrote:
If that is how you see it. But, hitting an 18" object from 500 yards is nothing to sneeze at.
Well with the right gun this is much more attainable - but maybe I'll load some 'stout' 30-30 and give it a try with one of my 26" Winchesters.
Reality being what it is however I am much more of an 'offhand' shooter and would be more satisfied with sub - 3" groups on paper at 100 yards than occasional, undefined hits on a gong at 500.
Understood.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).