Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PT7's 1873 Cattleman, first time at the range.

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Re: PT7's 1873 Cattleman, first time at the range.

Post by Shakey Jake » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:24 pm

Sounds like you had a great time! Rainy here today but I'll try to get to the range tomorrow to shoot some steel targets. I'm thinking about taking out my Ruger GP 100 .357 and the S&W 31 in .32 S&W long. Too muddy to slosh out on the rifle range to shoot at paper.
Jake
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:18 pm

It really is a very cool pistol. I hope your fit & finish are as nice as I found on mine. For old west replicas, Uberti does it right.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:03 pm

Thanks, RR. Your comment gives me the chance to say a few things about the fit & finish.

I really like how this Cowboy Six Gun looks. Before I even bought my first firearm, this is the style revolver I had always wanted. It has more than met my expectations!

The CCH finish and all metal parts are very, very nice, and the fit is excellent. I never thought I would have a revolver with a CCH finish; rather always have enjoyed the looks of blued steel in a revolver. But with this 1873 Cattleman I have absolutely zero complaints as I hold it in my hand, looking at it from all angles. And I'm a danged-demanding detail person on top of it! ;)

Here is an observation; please don't take this as a complaint, because I consider this gun to be a definite keeper. I very much like the checkered grips versus smooth wood, and that's a large reason I special-ordered it. I knew checkering would help keep the revolver from too easily slipping in my hand against recoil. But one thing for sure. Henry has much better checkering than is on this revolver. Maybe Henry has spoiled me with their nicely deep and exact checkering. Well, I was a little surprised, but I think that the building of a replica firearm is Uberti's forte. They may not work as hard toward what I call "old-world wood art." I'm not sure if that is a distinction in the manufacture of a firearm -- metal frame and barrel components vs. wood furniture. It is in my thinking however, right or wrong. ;)

OK, my take on what I have. I love the darker wood color just fine on my revolver, and it looks great against the CCH gun finish....highly complementary. The checkering does a great job in holding the revolver steady; very little slippage. Of course, any Forum Folk who have read some of my posts know I'm a wood nut! So it always is best for my eyes when I get top-notch wood. That's okay though in this case of my Uberti. I'm keeping the revolver exactly as is, and will immensely enjoy it. :*)

RanchRoper wrote:It really is a very cool pistol. I hope your fit & finish are as nice as I found on mine. For old west replicas, Uberti does it right.
0 x

~Пока~