Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PT7's 1873 Cattleman, first time at the range.

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

PT7's 1873 Cattleman, first time at the range.

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Earlier today I posted an intro thread http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4745 to my new revolver, a Uberti 1873 Birdshead 3.5" .45 LC. I was so looking forward to shooting it for the first time that I didn't even wait for the weekend, but went to the range mid-morning today. Had a great range time...very much enjoyed this revolver.

I don't have any words to describe what I think of how it shoots and handles. So I'll make up a phrase and say, "Cowboy, Oh Boy!!" At the end of my range time, I told myself that "You couldn't have made a better choice in a .45LC revolver, PT7." ;)

No target photos, but many of you can imagine my home-made 8" splash targets on a yellow 16" X 12" yellow piece of cardboard. The target was a plain-Jane single color and I put a 1" orange bull in the center. I shot a planned 30 rounds of HSM .45 Colt 200 gr. RNFP Cowboy Action. Definitely don't have the stock amount of .45LC ammo stashed like someone we all know in Canada!

OK. FIrst target, first time shooting the revolver, first 12 shots.
Set distance at 7 yards. I place 10/12 POIs in target. Two were at the edge. But gosh, the other 8 in-target POIs gathered around the bull in a 3-3/4" group! My very first two shots were on the yellow, one about an inch to the left, and the other about at inch below. Guess I had to start somewhere, and just glad no bullets headed directly for the range berm!

Second 8" splash.
First, shot 12 rounds at 10 yards. I had 9/12 POIs again in target. Now I'm getting more than a little surprised. 8 of these POIs grouped at 2-3/4" this time, and the farthest POI from dead bull was 2-1/4". The entire group was a tad low of the 1" bull.

At the 15-yard range, I only had 3/6 POIs in target, and they grouped larger. That wasn't a surprise. I also was a little more attentive to my grip on the Birdshead, so probably didn't focus as directly on shot placement.

Recoil
The one aspect that I was a little nervous about today. But it was again more than manageable, and not really an issue at all. Shooting .45LC out of my BASS IV derringer had more of a kick. This 1873 revolver also has considerably less recoil than the Vaquero .357 Magnum I've been shooting.

Birdshead Grip
The very best...exceeded my expectations!! Unlike like the recoil "hit" I take with the Vaquero that has the plow's hand grip, my middle finger does not get walloped painfully by the rear of the trigger guard when shooting the 1873. What a fantastic relief. When I noticed that first thing today, I promptly forgot about it! So even with my large hands, this smaller, rounded Birdshead grip was great to handle. The revolver stayed very steady as I fired, and my pinky placed under the grip really helped control the aiming and recoil. I all-around enjoyed it!

Some closing comments. Yup, the range time was pure fun. :D I'd like to do a repeat real soon. To those of you who have commented positively about Uberti firearms, this range trip proved to me it is a pretty quality firearm. For looks I cannot post authentic-looking cowboy pictures like RR does. But this 1873 is very sharp-looking Six Gun; I think the Duke would have been okay with it, too. :lol: And I have nowhere near the experience or knowledge about SA cowboy-action revolvers like NCG (and others) do on the Forum. But for a first time range visit, this revolver was easy to shoot...enjoyed the .45LC caliber more than I thought I would. Glad I "gave in" and got it even though I added another caliber to my ammo stock.

So I just hope this revolver keeps on wheelin' along so nicely. I'm already looking forward to my next range visit!
Have a great rest of the weekend, Everyone.
PT7
6 x

~Пока~

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Re: PT7's 1873 Cattleman, first time at the range.

Post by CT_Shooter » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Great report, PT7. It sounds like you found something special. Fantastic!
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:06 pm

PT, I'm so very happy for you. I figured you'd love it, but the only way to ever know for sure is in the shooting. Yes, as you've discovered, there is something very appealing and unique about the 45 Colt in a single action revolver. A 357 has a much different feel to it. Very different cartridges. You better do like RR and start stocking up on 45 Colt ammo. You're going to need it.
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:18 pm

Thanks, NCG.

Seriously,I don't think I could match even these boxes at the current cost of .45LC ammo!! I'm retired and on a fixed income. But at the moment, I do have 82 - .45LC bullets. Whoa, one box at a time will be my ammo modus operandi!
I'm not 100% sure, but I think this might be just a portion of RR's stash. :lol: I saved his pic because I thought it was cool. 8-)
.45LC Wild West.jpg
.45LC Wild West.jpg (275.47 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
North Country Gal wrote:PT, I'm so very happy for you. I figured you'd love it...
You better do like RR and start stocking up on 45 Colt ammo. You're going to need it.
2 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:44 pm

Hey I recognize the revolver....

PT7, so glad you enjoyed your new cowboy gun and welcome to the 45 Colt club. You have much more selection of ammo to choose from in the US. Try some Black Hills if you get a chance.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:01 am

Thanks, RR. I didn't know about the "45 Colt club," but glad to be a member. Are there any perks? ;)
And I'm very pleased with the 1873 Cattleman revolver that got me into the club!

I've used quite a lot of BHA in calibers other than .45LC, and it is very good ammo. Will definitely look for some of that brand. Appreciate the suggestion.
PT7
RanchRoper wrote:Hey I recognize the revolver....

PT7, so glad you enjoyed your new cowboy gun and welcome to the 45 Colt club. You have much more selection of ammo to choose from in the US. Try some Black Hills if you get a chance.
0 x

~Пока~

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:49 am

The perks are great BIG holes in targets that will make your day every time.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:22 pm

RanchRoper wrote:The perks are great BIG holes in targets that will make your day every time.
I'll second that. Those big 45 cal holes are so addicting. Was at the range, the other day, shooting the 17 HMR and although I shot well, those tiny little pinholes were ... kind of ... depressing. Made me want to grab a 45 and blast those targets, properly. :)
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:48 pm

I did notice those "perks" of the BIG target holes. :) Of course, I shot short distances; seems to be a revolver that is not designed to really reach out in yardage. So my distances went from 7, 10, 12, up to 15 yards. Usually with my Mark IV (.22LR) or even with .357 Magnums, I'm often reaching into my range bag for my range finder....use it as binocs to view the target POIs. I never even thought about them, plus I easily watched the bullet holes "appear" after each shot. Kind of a refreshing view for these elder eyes!

Another fun plus to my range time!

North Country Gal wrote:
RanchRoper wrote:The perks are great BIG holes in targets that will make your day every time.
I'll second that. Those big 45 cal holes are so addicting. Was at the range, the other day, shooting the 17 HMR and although I shot well, those tiny little pinholes were ... kind of ... depressing. Made me want to grab a 45 and blast those targets, properly. :)
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Bring that pistol to Colorado and your empty brass we can go shootin and I can load you up some 45 colt. Probably have a box full in the basement already ready to go.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55