Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

24" Octagon .22 - ammo test

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

24" Octagon .22 - ammo test

Post by Blackdog » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:16 am

I shoot my Henry .22 in Lever Action Silhouette matches. (and sometimes bring home a trophy)
The Nationals are in July and I wanted to test my rifle with a couple of different brands of ammo.
I know it will shoot well with Wolf Match Extra, but I really wanted Eley Force to be it's favorite.

I did two things to my rifle before going to the range - 1. I removed the buckhorn sights and filled in the mounting holes with flathead screws and 2. I used a bore dressing - you clean the heck out of the bore and swab the dressing. After 4 hours you shoot 10 rounds and the dressing is "set" - it worked wonders on a Rossi I used to have.

I started with Wolf ammo at 50 yards - grouped about 4" and slightly right. Pulled a dry patch through the bore and shot Eley Force - got a 6" group (not good!). Dry patch and more Wolf - centered the group and tried 75 yards - got a 3" group. Then 100 yards - got a 3" group again (I'm shooting with a Williams Receiver (peep) sight). These groups were good enough for lever action marched - cause I wobble a lot and most misses my fault.

Before I went home I tried some CCI Tactical ammo. I shot it 50 yards. The group was 1" - Darn it! Now I have to go back to the range today, with more ammo and retest. The Tactical ammo was about the 50th shots of the day. So either the rifle likes it better, or the bore dressing has finally settled in, or my wobbles went away - whatever it is, I have to go back today.

Don't get me wrong - I don't mind going to the range, but today is Saturday and all the local yahoos come out with their AR rifles, fling brass everywhere (none reload) and shoot at huge targets at 25 yards. I don't feel safe around them, but I have a match on Sunday and need to settle the ammo issue.

Will report my new findings soon.

M
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Re: 24" Octagon .22 - ammo test

Post by PT7 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:35 am

Be safe, be careful. Nothing as distracting or disconcerting when a person "doesn't feel safe" when shooting at a range. I've experienced 2-3 rather uncomfortable range times, so know what you're saying.

And best at your silhouette match on Sunday! Have fun.

P.S. I've had good accuracy results using CCI ammo with my SGC. Not surprised you're heading back to the range to retest. ;)
0 x

~Пока~

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:35 am

Blackdog wrote:I did two things to my rifle before going to the range - 1. I removed the buckhorn sights and filled in the mounting holes with flathead screws and 2. I used a bore dressing - you clean the heck out of the bore and swab the dressing. After 4 hours you shoot 10 rounds and the dressing is "set" - it worked wonders on a Rossi I used to have.

M
fascinating .... understood on changing the OEM sight .... unclear on the bore dressing .... any additional info you could provide would be appreciated .... please take a look at our How Many ? thread (link below) and add your Henry to our community's total

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 991#p63991
0 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:31 pm

The bore dressing is: Bore Coat from Dyna-Tek. I bought it from Brownell's.
The first rifle I used it on was a Rossi lever action - after treating it tighten up the groups and started shooting cast bullets well.
On a CZ 452 it had almost no effect.
On my Kimber Gold Match it gave me tighter groups
The jury is still out on the Henry.

M
0 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:45 pm

2nd range test.
Tested CCI Tactical and Norma Tac22 at 40/50/75&100 yards. Tac22 is clearly the best in this rifle.
I got these results:
40/50 yards - 3/4" groups
75 yards - 2" groups
100 yards - 2" groups
(I suspect I'm trying harder at the longer distances - I had expected the groups to open up more...not complaining!)

Additional test:
I bought a Chinese knock-off of a Leupold 1.5-5 scope, knowing it was a knock-off and paying little for it. I put it on my 10/22 and tried it at 50 yards.
The 10/22 is a tack driver and this cheap scope works well at 50 yards. I paid $29 for the scope - it is worth $29!
I have a 3" gong that I shoot for fun - and the cheap scope, and cheap ammo, make it more fun.

M
2 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:27 am

Went back to the range yesterday to field-check the three rifles I'll use in the nationals.
1. A Henry 24" Octagon with Norma Tac22. Changed to an aperture front sight - it was hitting where I was aiming!
2. A Marlin 1894 in .25-20 with 75gr jacketed bullets and LilGun powder. Aim a bit low at 40 yards and a bit high at 100 yards with no sight change between targets. It was on and functioning well.
3. Winchester 94 Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative .30-30 with 130gr & 170gr bullets and 3031 powder. If its "on" at 50 I know the settings for 100,150 & 200 yards. May be my favorite rifle.
All three have Williams receiver sight and Lyman hooded front sights with Aperture Inserts.
The match is next week. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and shooting all week long (I usually get all the shooting I want in a week at Raton!)
It may rain - and you know how rain deflect bullets(!)...so my excuse for missing targets is mother nature.

Michael
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:36 am

Blackdog wrote:Went back to the range yesterday to field-check the three rifles I'll use in the nationals.
1. A Henry 24" Octagon with Norma Tac22. Changed to an aperture front sight - it was hitting where I was aiming!
2. A Marlin 1894 in .25-20 with 75gr jacketed bullets and LilGun powder. Aim a bit low at 40 yards and a bit high at 100 yards with no sight change between targets. It was on and functioning well.
3. Winchester 94 Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative .30-30 with 130gr & 170gr bullets and 3031 powder. If its "on" at 50 I know the settings for 100,150 & 200 yards. May be my favorite rifle.
All three have Williams receiver sight and Lyman hooded front sights with Aperture Inserts.
The match is next week. I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and shooting all week long (I usually get all the shooting I want in a week at Raton!)
It may rain - and you know how rain deflect bullets(!)...so my excuse for missing targets is mother nature.

Michael
The Norma Tac22 is my favorite .22 round and I like the Lyman front globe because I can switch inserts in seconds.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:21 am

Winchester 94 Teddy Roosevelt Commemorative
Ironic - my favorite rifle is my Buffalo Bill commemorative. Something about the balance, the way it shoulders, function and accuracy. I really like my 26 inchers also but if I had to choose one as my 'go to' rifle it would be 'Buffalo Bill' !
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:31 am

I do understand what you're going though with the ammo. Ammo testing seems like a never ending work in progress. It's a lot more of a casual thing for us recreational shooters, but I can see where it can be a real stress producer for shooting in competition.

I will say that one of the reasons I do like match grade ammo and one of the reasons you pay more for it is its consistency, shot after shot and box after box. With accuracy rifles like our CZs, I'll sometimes find a box of cheaper ammo that shoots great, but the next box does not, not even close. With my favorite CZs, I like to find target grade ammo that it likes and stay with it, occasionally trying some cheap stuff when shooting for fun, but always using the match ammo as my regular load. I find that the less I press about the ammo, the more I concentrate on my shooting. :)
0 x

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Blackdog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:58 pm

I'm looking for Trigger Shoe for the H001 now. I know all the arguments about trigger shoes, and I still want one for my Henry. I can find a lot of them on eBay, but they only list the model number - the sellers have no idea what with they are...got them from garage sales most likley.

Does anyone know what Ace Trigger Shoe will fit a Henry H001? It is .278/9 wide?

Thanks
0 x