Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Jay Henges Shooting Range & Outdoor Education Center --- High Ridge, MO

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Jay Henges Shooting Range & Outdoor Education Center --- High Ridge, MO

Post by JEBar » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 pm

our home state of North Carolina has nothing to compare to Jay Henges ====> https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-natu ... s-shooting ..... we have enjoyed visiting there for many years and on our summer trips to and from our home to South Dakota we usually schedule a day or two so we can spend time there .... as can be seen in their link, while their Trap Ranges and other shotgun/archery areas are open, their rifle/pistol ranges is closed for maintenance .... unfortunately, it now appears that it won't be up and running any time soon .... damage to the range's bullet trap has proven to be much more expensive than anticipated .... they now anticipate it will take at least $3 million to make the repairs .... where that much money will come from and how long it will take is very much open to question .... charges to use the range are extremely reasonable .... $3 per hour on the rifle/pistol range, they provide the targets .... $3 to fire a 25 skeet round of Trap, they provide the skeet .... Missouri is blessed to have several such parks .... folks living in or passing through Missouri, who have an interest in shooting, would be well advised to take looking into taking advantage of these facilities ....
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Jay Henges Shooting Range & Outdoor Education Center --- High Ridge, MO

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:12 am

Its been closed since November 15th? Any updates other than the $3mill to fix it?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:58 am

Sir Henry wrote:Its been closed since November 15th? Any updates other than the $3mill to fix it?
as noted above, the problem is said to be that the "approved" style of anchoring deflector plates in the bullet trap has suffered a major failure .... we were told that some say it will take bulldozing the current facility and building a replacement .... the folks who we spoke with all work there and universally they say they have no clue as to if or when their rifle/pistol .... some say they won't be surprised if it never reopens .... $3 million seems to be the gorilla in the room that nobody knows how to deal with
0 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:20 am

Yeah, "the gorilla in the room" is pretty accurate.

Everytime I go to either Parma Woods or Lake City (two MDC shooting ranges just outside of KC proper), I wonder how they keep operating whenever I pay my pittance of the $3 range fee at the window. They even have a "reward" system here.....make 10 visits, the next visit is free. I think you really understated it, JEBar, when you wrote their fees are "extremely reasonable." Always has seemed to me too little to keep going good maintenance and operation of MO ranges.

As usual, my "pittance" of two cents.
PT7
1 x

~Пока~

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:20 am

its my understanding that decades ago Missouri dedicated a percent of a cent of sales to fund these parks .... over time that money has mounted up to pay for facilities and management .... I wish our state would follow that example
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:47 pm

we once again visited Jay Henges on the morning of 8-18-19 .... a few changes have taken place since we were last there but another big negative thing hasn't .... their rifle/pistol range remains closed and is the center of some high dollar litigation dealing with the failure of the bullet trap .... the manufacture blames the installer, the installer blames the manufacturer .... they both blame the state and the state blames both of them .... law firms are involved that I have no doubt will keep things tied up so long as they have money rolling in .... the building is evidence so the state won't tear it down until the case is settled .... prices have increased to $4 per hour for the rifle/pistol range (that is if/when it reopens) and $4 for a round of Trap .... one of the trap ranges now has a voice activated skeet thrower (picture below) .... they have up graded their archery practice area (also shown below) .... thoroughly enjoyed out time there this morning
Attachments
190818 001 voice activated trigger 001.jpg
190818 001 voice activated trigger 001.jpg (76.65 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
190818 002 trap range 001.jpg
190818 002 trap range 001.jpg (70.69 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
190818 002 archery 001.jpg
190818 002 archery 001.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
1 x

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Trap range looks amazingly like the KC Lake City set up, almost a twin --- very nice. And that archery range looks cool, especially with all the "wild life" running around!! :lol:

Glad you enjoyed another shooting day, Jim.

PT7
0 x

~Пока~

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:33 pm

To bad the rifle and pistol shooters half to be at the mercy of legal battles. Glad you enjoyed the trap time Jim. I like shooting trap myself but I just dont do it much. Its kinda taken a back seat to leverguns.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:51 pm

PT7 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:01 pm
Trap range looks amazingly like the KC Lake City set up, almost a twin --- very nice. And that archery range looks cool, especially with all the "wild life" running around!! :lol:

Glad you enjoyed another shooting day, Jim.

PT7

they do not have separate rifle and pistol ranges like they do at Lake City .... their rifle/pistol range is almost a twin of Lake City's rifle range .... they have also upgraded their area dedicated to patterning shotguns but I didn't get any pictures
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:01 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:33 pm
To bad the rifle and pistol shooters half to be at the mercy of legal battles. Glad you enjoyed the trap time Jim. I like shooting trap myself but I just dont do it much. Its kinda taken a back seat to leverguns.
historically our shooting at Jay Henges has been dedicated to 3 or 4 hours of rifle & pistol shooting on one day and 4 rounds (100 shells) fired on a trap range the next day .... the most I ever recall firing at their trap range was 400 shells fired in 2 days .... one of the guys brought steel #7 shot .... first time I've ever seen any .... we traded a box so I could fire 25 of them .... honestly, couldn't tell any difference .... the talk is Missouri is strongly considering requiring steel shot on their ranges and that change may take place in the not too distant future
0 x