Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

PT7 -- Outdoors with .22WMR Revolver

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
PT7
Drover
United States of America

PT7 -- Outdoors with .22WMR Revolver

Post by PT7 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:11 pm

This early hotter, summer weather is definitely not my cup of tea. But a cup of tea would have stayed quite hot on the shooting bench in today's outdoor range weather. I went earlier in the day than usual to "beat the heat." Still, I starting shooting at 11:30AM with a sunny sky, very light wind, and 84*. I guess this May could be considered the "good 'ole summertime!"

It's been 4 months since I last shot my LCR 3" WMR snubby revolver. Since it is an EDC, thought I'd get some range time in. I shot 60 rounds today, all at an "in-home" defense distance of 7 yards. I shot off hand, both with two hands and one-handed. The revolver is quite an accurate shootin' iron for being a snubby. :) Here are my two targets from today's shoot out with paper.
Splash round_2471.jpg
Splash round_2471.jpg (141.25 KiB) Viewed 1510 times

The round splash target is 12" diameter. I purposely mounted a larger round because I first wanted to again check my sight-in. I used my HD ammo and started with 6 rounds of my Hornady CD 45gr FTX ammo. My first POI of the day is at the lower left of the three in the bull. My sights are in good shape, and shot #1 was exactly where I wanted it to be. Fortunately, because of the noise of all the other guns firing on the range, no one heard me yell "YIPPEE!" :lol: The remaining 14 rounds were shot with Armscor 40gr JHP. In target are 20/20.
Splash football_2472.jpg
Splash football_2472.jpg (166.67 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Second target is a cut-down splash circle, ended up football-shaped. It is 12" wide X 8" tall. Here I shot 40 rounds of CCI maxi-mag 40gr JHP ("Choot Ems"). Started out shooting one-handed (the higher and lower POI groups), then shot a dozen or so POIs using both hands. That settled down closer into the bull. All told, I count 37/40 POIs in the football. You should have heard the hiss of air escaping!

Had a good range day....it was fun and I roped in my goals. Oh yes, never drank the cup of tea. :roll:

Enjoy the upcoming weekend, Everyone.
PT7
3 x

~Пока~

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: PT7 -- Outdoors with .22WMR Revolver

Post by North Country Gal » Fri May 18, 2018 7:38 pm

I love your reports on your revolver shooting. As you know, we also love revolver shooting. Can't remember the last time we made a trip to the range without at least one revolver and there have been more than few range trips when we took only revolvers. Guess that makes us a little old-fashioned in this day and age of the semi-auto, but so be it.

That's some fine self-defense work. That 22 mag in a small revolver really is a fun shooter, isn't it? Been awhile since we had a 22 mag revolver to shoot in our collection. May be time to remedy that.

We've been having July weather in May, too. Even worse, our May weather did a complete reversal of what we had in April. We've had no significant rain, at all. Our forests are tinder dry. Not good.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Fri May 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Remind me to stay 8 yards away from you when the tea isn't to your liking. Good shootin'!
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:29 pm

PT7
Im curious as to what you think of the armscor 22 mag ammo. I have some and havent shot any yet but I will soon.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 pm

This is the first time I've used Armscor ammo in .22 Magnum caliber, and have now shot the 100 rounds I bought. Today I was particularly pleased with the accuracy of this ammo, especially out of a 3" snubby. I think I'll be getting more when I need to replenish my .22 magnum stock.

Since you mentioned Armscor. I bought a brick (500 rounds) of Armscor 36gr High Velocity HP (.22LR) to shoot with my Henry SGC. I'm almost through 200 rounds of those, with no FTF or FTE problems at all. The Henry likes them, and they are quite accurate, too. I would buy more of these for SGC shooting. So far my experience with both rimfire calibers has been okie-dokie. ;)

I'd be interested to hear what you think after you shoot your ammo. Let us know....thanks.
PT7

BigAl52 wrote:PT7
Im curious as to what you think of the armscor 22 mag ammo. I have some and havent shot any yet but I will soon.
0 x

~Пока~

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Thanks. Not a sharp-shooter for sure, but it's always fun.

I've already tried shooting this .22 Magnum snubby at 15 yards, and did fairly well. Will probably do some fun shooting at that distance next time out. Then down the range road, I'd like to reach out to at least 25 yards with it. Like I said, the longer distances will be just for fun and to see how I do with the challenge.

Those .22 mags hustle along pretty quickly, and I bet they would sting significantly at 8 yards.
You might want to reconsider, RR. :lol:

RanchRoper wrote:Remind me to stay 8 yards away from you when the tea isn't to your liking. Good shootin'!
0 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 pm

I don't think I've ever shot a .22WMR revolver or any type of hand gun. How is the trigger on the LCR?
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:59 pm

Both my LCRs in .22WMR and .38 Special + P have pretty heavy DA trigger pulls. I've never tested mine (don't have the equipment), but I've read they are around 10 lbs or so. Generally, Ruger revolvers do have very solid, heavy trigger pulls. I especially noticed that on my SP101 .357 Magnum.

But to answer your question more specifically about the .22WMR. I like the DA trigger on this revolver. Along with range time, I also "shoot" at home with snap caps. For me, this practice helps to be more familiar and comfortable with the trigger action.

It is very easy to notice the break point, although I don't "go for that" any longer for the timing to set my sights solid on target. I just try for the smoothest pull I can do straight through the break point. In a sense, letting the revolver "do its thing" has helped with my accuracy. I've shot 125 rounds through the newer .22WMR and 500 rounds through the .38 Special. The triggers are very similar. I can't think of any complaints I have about the trigger action yet. The revolver and trigger suit me just fine. ;)

I bet you would like to shoot a .22WMR revolver, SH. It's a puppy and easy to handle!
Take care...PT7
Sir Henry wrote:I don't think I've ever shot a .22WMR revolver or any type of hand gun. How is the trigger on the LCR?
1 x

~Пока~

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat May 19, 2018 12:41 am

I wouldn't mind having a .22WMR SA revolver.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

PT7
Drover
United States of America

Post by PT7 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:45 am

Very much so, NCG....the .22 mag snubby is a fun shooter. Appreciate your compliment on the SD practice. :)

I also very much like being a "little old-fashioned." It feels comfortable. For me, the firearms used by the pioneers, frontiersmen, and cowboys of the American Old West bring a uniqueness to gun ownership. A revolver is a cool connect to our shooting history, (just like our lever-action rifles!). And also in my book of practical reasons, a revolver comes close to defining both reliability and simplicity. The recent acquisition of my Vaquero S/A .357 magnum Six Gun has simply been icing on the cake, and much fun. Shooting it has been "sweet!"

It will take quite a while to raise up the pennies, but I'd really like to add the new DW715 to my gun cabinet. Your Range Reports on your DW revolver really caught my eye. One can always dream big time, right? ;)
PT7

North Country Gal wrote:I love your reports on your revolver shooting. As you know, we also love revolver shooting. Can't remember the last time we made a trip to the range without at least one revolver and there have been more than few range trips when we took only revolvers. Guess that makes us a little old-fashioned in this day and age of the semi-auto, but so be it.

That's some fine self-defense work. That 22 mag in a small revolver really is a fun shooter, isn't it? Been awhile since we had a 22 mag revolver to shoot in our collection. May be time to remedy that.

We've been having July weather in May, too. Even worse, our May weather did a complete reversal of what we had in April. We've had no significant rain, at all. Our forests are tinder dry. Not good.
0 x

~Пока~