Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Henry 30-30 AW H009AW - barrel heat and accuracy

Put your range reports for all brands and types of firearms and other items.
greyrush
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Henry 30-30 AW H009AW - barrel heat and accuracy

Post by greyrush » Tue May 15, 2018 12:16 am

I hadn't had my 30-30 out for a couple months so I decided to take it to the range last week for a little exercise. The first 5 shots @~50 yards I couldn't be happier with (pic below), not only for the gun but for myself being able to do that (I'm just your typical weekend plinker).

But then as I shot more it seemed the group size was expanding a little bit. Now, some of that is surely me and my novice skills. But I'm also wondering ... how much does barrel heat affect a shot? I think I shot around 47 rounds within 30 mins or so, so by the end of that the barrel was pretty darn warm. Is there any ... general statement with numbers ... one could apply to the affect of barrel heat on accuracy? Thx.

1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Henry 30-30 AW H009AW - barrel heat and accuracy

Post by JEBar » Tue May 15, 2018 6:12 am

heat can most certainly impact group size .... most of the time I see it evidenced as a string not a scatter (shotgun type pattern) .... to get a rifle that can handle high temps (think varmint rifles) you need a much different barrel design (one example fluted, bull barrels)
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Henry 30-30 AW H009AW - barrel heat and accuracy

Post by North Country Gal » Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 am

As above, yes, a hot barrel can definitely affect group size and also cause changes in POI. Most of the time, groups have opened up for me, but I've had a few guns that actually shot better groups with a hot barrel. When I'm accuracy testing, though, I always take my time and try to shoot a string of five shots, allowing the barrel to cool back down between shots, touching the barrel to check its temp. Can take a long time to shoot a group, this way. Have even had some folks next to me ask if there was something wrong with the gun. :) On a hunting gun like a 30-30 lever, I think it's especially important to do your accuracy testing and sighting in with a cold barrel. After all, you won't be taking too many snots at deer with a hot barrel. That's me, though. Not everyone thinks this is necessary or wants to take the time to do this. Great question, by the way.
2 x